Found a Honey Hole of clad

kristof.wanderer

Mar 23, 2014
Nacogdoches Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to get out to a nearby school this weekend and found an area behind an old baseball field near the wood line about 40'x20'. Targets were everywhere, so after spending about 3 hours total these were the result and most were 1"-4." The school site dates back to the late 1800's and is within a quarter mile of where I dug the 1838 dime.

A few of the quarters and dimes are '65, so I'm hoping for a silver...there's still plenty of targets!

Attachments

• 1448390562861.jpg
    1448390562861.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 22

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really cleaned it up!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of battery cash there. You certainly have found a spot where the kids were careless with their allowences.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a bunch of clad. My hand hurts just thinking about digging all of that up.

Best of luck to you.... perhaps after the more modern coins are dug off of the top, old coins will be below them.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a lot of clad! Don't hurt your back trying to carry it all home!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on having an amazing cladfest hunt. The clad adds up quickly, especially when you pull that much per hunt. I pulled about $500 in clad last season. I have a bank account set up for my hobby and the funds are used for coin supplies, detector repairs and upgrades. It keeps the kitchen committee out of the MD purchases that I deem necessary. Gotta love a hobby that funds itself.:thumbsup:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HA! I did the same thing. I then connected my account to paypal..> now I can purchase on e-bay and directly access my bank funds to pay off the Pay-pal credit. Works great!

Most recent acquisitions:
- 12 9 volt batteries ($15.85)
- Gold/Platinum/Silver Test Kit ($17.09)
- Ring Mandrel (for sizing and fixing) ($14.85)
- Replacement headphones for my son's ACE250 ($24.45)
- Portable Diamond Gem Tester Selector V2 Diamond Tester ($8.99) Works FANTASTIC, btw!
- 40x25mm jewelers loupe w/LED light ($3.99)
- Etekcity 500g Digital Pocket Scale, hundredth of a gram Resolution ($16.98)
- Novel Box® Glass Top Black Jewelry Display Case 72 Slot Compartment Ring Tray + Custom NB Pouch ($16.99)

Plus about $400 in 19th Century coins! (neatly displayed in my Littleton coin folder) BTW, the hole in the dime section just got filled with an E-bay purchase yesterday. Another row filled in the 19th Century folder! Woot!

Message here: CLAD PAYS

View attachment 1239458 View attachment 1239459

Great minds thing alike. I also connected a paypal account to mine. My hobby account is with a different bank than the family account just so that if it's ever hacked, the family funds are not affected.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, , my kind of hunt. That place has not been hit in awhile. I can almost guarantee that there is silver there. It is deep and beyond the ACE 250's abilities.
I'm not knocking your detector, I had a 350 and still have the AT PRO. I have paid off the costs of all my machines in just clad alone. Digging clad totals like you did and continue to do will put a serious dent in the purchase price of a second hand E-trac. The E-trac will get down to the silver. Excellent hunt. I paid $900 for a second hand E-trac on line. Good luck buddy.

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pick a small area and run all metal mode. the more you dig the easy ones the better stuff will start to show. be aware of the bounce hits that can be layered coins. a bounce from nickel to qtr. can be just that. if a zincoln gets pulled a Rosie may be an inch away. trash hits are not always trash--just too much for the processor to decipher. just dig 'til there be nuttin' to dig:-)

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
kristof.wanderer

kristof.wanderer

Mar 23, 2014
Nacogdoches Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, , my kind of hunt. That place has not been hit in awhile. I can almost guarantee that there is silver there. It is deep and beyond the ACE 250's abilities.
I'm not knocking your detector, I had a 350 and still have the AT PRO. I have paid off the costs of all my machines in just clad alone. Digging clad totals like you did and continue to do will put a serious dent in the purchase price of a second hand E-trac. The E-trac will get down to the silver. Excellent hunt. I paid $900 for a second hand E-trac on line. Good luck buddy.

I recently picked up a DD for the GTI 2500 and that's what I was using. When I have it worked over satisfactorily, I'll go back over it with a concentric coil just to see. I'd love an E-trac and was considered getting one, but truth be known I'm still in the dog house for getting the GTI. But one day...

OP
OP
kristof.wanderer

kristof.wanderer

Mar 23, 2014
Nacogdoches Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pick a small area and run all metal mode. the more you dig the easy ones the better stuff will start to show. be aware of the bounce hits that can be layered coins. a bounce from nickel to qtr. can be just that. if a zincoln gets pulled a Rosie may be an inch away. trash hits are not always trash--just too much for the processor to decipher. just dig 'til there be nuttin' to dig:-)

Exactly my experience there! The gound here is VERY mineralized and I noticed conductivity was consistently lower than usual so I know I left a good many. This pass was just for solid, consistent hits (and consistent bouncy targets.) I'll eagerly clean it out eventually.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great clad spot...your gti 2500 should be plenty deep for coins.finish it up with the concentric for max depth with heavy overlap of swings...my 2 cents

OP
OP
kristof.wanderer

kristof.wanderer

Mar 23, 2014
Nacogdoches Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great clad spot...your gti 2500 should be plenty deep for coins.finish it up with the concentric for max depth with heavy overlap of swings...my 2 cents

Thanks for the input! I'm always open to suggestions to improve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread