Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went Back to the Half-Dime Pasture & did it again! Half-Dimes & More 1835 1838

Went Back to the Half-Dime Pasture & did it again!
Was another slow hunt but me and my buddy each pulled a half dime amongst the cow patties.
Early morning I dug a crusty 2 piece US Navy Cuff button. Eagle over Anchor with Stars. Scoville & Co backmark. 13.6mm.
A little later I get a small scale weight that says 7 grams & 1/4 ounce. At first I was thinking coin weight, but its probably not for coins. This thing is probably pretty old considering how most everything else from this field is. I think the newest coin weve dug here was 1904.
Then a little later my buddy yells silver. I go over and he has a really nice Capped Bust half-dime. It looked like 1825, but not now hes telling me its 1835.
I have to admit I got pretty HOT after seeing that, and decided to move off of my grid to another area near where we had found some half-dimes on Saturday.
It wasn't 10 minutes after he dug his that I pulled a very worn 1838 seated half dime. Its funny how that happens. I didnt let him savor having the only silver for very long. Just checked my book and noticed they stopped making the bust dimes in 1837, so I missed it by one year. Kinda bummed about that, but I know there has to be more there.
Put in about 6 hours for one silver each. Its not a quantity site, but were finding some nice oldies.
Cant believe were not digging any early coppers here. I suppose they just weren't very common in the south.
Between the 2 of us we have dug 5 half dimes from this site in the past 3 hunts, if you count the one half real as a half dime..
Any idea what the little knob looking thing is. It appears to be threaded on the end.

Attachments

• DSC03381.JPG
    DSC03381.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC03384.JPG
    DSC03384.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC03386.JPG
    DSC03386.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC03387.JPG
    DSC03387.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC03388.JPG
    DSC03388.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC03389.JPG
    DSC03389.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC03390.JPG
    DSC03390.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC03391.JPG
    DSC03391.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Upvote 22

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a good place, Congrats!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would trade digging crusty coppers for half dimes any day! Similar to the cane bandits in Louisiana, you seem to dig more silver and less copper. It is totally opposite in the Northeast.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would trade digging crusty coppers for half dimes any day! Similar to the cane bandits in Louisiana, you seem to dig more silver and less copper. It is totally opposite in the Northeast.
Yeah Steve youre probably right about that. Its just that the coppers are so un-common, it makes them highly desired.
I was thinking surely we would have dug a large cent, half cent, or even a Not One Cent, lol.
These last few hunts have reminded be a lot of some of Buckleboys threads too, minus the video and Shangalangs accent. :laughing7: No offense Shane.
I wish they would plow this field. There are 4" to 8" clumps of grass everywhere. Its very hard to work a straight line here.
Almost took my weed-eater with me today.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would happily frollick amongst the cow patties in order to dig out those lovely finds...great work!

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds including the Naval button. Boy, there's something in the soil at that spot that is unkind to targets!

aj

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, I'd love to find some old silver like that, I hope I get lucky today! You guys have a good site there, I hope you find more great finds like those, nice saves!

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I have hunted in La. for twenty years and found a few bust and lots of seated but only two Large cents and both were 1850

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What no O mint mark on that half dime??? Your slipping Bone. Lol.
Another great hunt. Keep it up.
Ill be down in a little bit. My ground should be frozen by then. Hope the SOUTH is ready for VINO??? LOL

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats again BP. You are all over it! Well done.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is a good place, Congrats!
Thanks Showtime. I don't mind a long slow day if I can pull a good target or two. Some of my long slow hunts at other sites only amount to a wheatie or a rosie.
Very nice recoveries for you and your friend.
A half dime would help shorten my bucket list.
Thanks ATW. I wish I had a pic of that capped bust half dime. Its a lot prettier than my 1838.
This new spot has helped shorten my list with several items.
I would happily frollick amongst the cow patties in order to dig out those lovely finds...great work!
Thanks Silver. I agree.
Nice finds including the Naval button. Boy, there's something in the soil at that spot that is unkind to targets!

aj
Thanks AJ. That Navy button was dug at the bottom of the hill where it stays damp. I think that is why it got so eaten up.
My other buttons were found at the top of the hill and were much nicer.
The last 2 silvers I dug there im guessing were well circulated before being lost. My first 1857-0 was super nice. Id almost say MS details, prob dropped shortly after being minted.
I got 1 nice one, and the other 2 were toasted. That's my luck.
Very nice, I'd love to find some old silver like that, I hope I get lucky today! You guys have a good site there, I hope you find more great finds like those, nice saves!
Thanks Treble. Good luck today.... These kind of sites don't come around too often for this kid.
Nice finds, I have hunted in La. for twenty years and found a few bust and lots of seated but only two Large cents and both were 1850
Thanks Etex. I read a comment in a local historical article about how common the half dime was in our area. Seems like the half dime was used for everything.
I have yet to find a Large cent. My buddy has found 2 nice ones, I believe 1850s as well. They were both dug near home sites that were destroyed by Katrina. Im almost certain they were actually from a collection that was lost with the home, theyre just too nice to have been in the MS soil for 150+ years. Who knows, but I would love to dig one, im still looking for that bust dime too.:dontknow:. Its crazy that were only digging half dimes. No dimes, quarters, etc. Seems like Old Big silver is kind of like Big coppers for my area.

Last edited:

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great hunt for both of you. The 1837 and 1838 seated dimes and half dimes had just the seated image and date on the obverse with no stars around the edge. When I found my first 1838 one I thought it strange since the other seated coins had stars .

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What no O mint mark on that half dime??? Your slipping Bone. Lol.
Another great hunt. Keep it up.
Ill be down in a little bit. My ground should be frozen by then. Hope the SOUTH is ready for VINO??? LOL
Thanks George. I wish it did have a 0-mint mark. The only one that did have it was the latest half dime 1857-0. The 1835 capped bust, the 1838 and 1840 did not. Seems like the 0 mint marks weren't as common at this site until later. Since that 1857 was so pretty, if figures the others I find will be super worn. That's Karma I suppose.
Come on down. Id love to hunt with ya. That's one good thing about this area. It might get cold, but the ground never freezes.
Congrats again BP. You are all over it! Well done.
Thanks Tom. This has been a great year. Partly due to some excellent sites and partly due to my new machine. I hope the streak continues.
Another great hunt for both of you. The 1837 and 1838 seated dimes and half dimes had just the seated image and date on the obverse with no stars around the edge. When I found my first 1838 one I thought it strange since the other seated coins had stars .
Thanks Thrifty. Yeah I really like that no stars design. Hoping to find one soon. Actually some 1838s had stars as it was a split year. My 1838 was so worn, at first I thought I had one.

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on half dimes again! You and your buddy have had a good 5 day stretch! Save some of them half dimes for me!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another killer hunt Bonepicker! What you lack in quantity, you destroy it in quality. :notworthy: What a great site you're on man. I would also take those silvers over coppers any day. ha I've dug 19 coppers and 4 silvers from one site this year and I'm dying for another old silver... every toasted copper is a big let down for me. ha Looking forward to seeing what else you pull from that place.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ABSOLUTELY KILLING IT BP!!!!! Another pre-civil war silver coin... Unbelievable! Huge congrats man!

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratz on half dimes again! You and your buddy have had a good 5 day stretch! Save some of them half dimes for me!
Thanks Cap. It has been unreal.
Another killer hunt Bonepicker! What you lack in quantity, you destroy it in quality. :notworthy: What a great site you're on man. I would also take those silvers over coppers any day. ha I've dug 19 coppers and 4 silvers from one site this year and I'm dying for another old silver... every toasted copper is a big let down for me. ha Looking forward to seeing what else you pull from that place.
Thanks OA. Id rather be digging silver than copper, but would like to find at least one copper. Its crazy how many you guys find up in the N/NE, and we rarely find any down here.
The seated are actually even hard to find around here, were just on a really hot spot. If I could only 1 coin, and it happens to be seated or older during an all days hunt, that makes for a great hunt in my book. Thanks for the positive reply, and im looking forward to going back to that site.
ABSOLUTELY KILLING IT BP!!!!! Another pre-civil war silver coin... Unbelievable! Huge congrats man!
Thank you for the kind words. It has been a great year. Im still looking for that civil war era coin. Seems like my civil war sites don't produce coins for some reason. Not that I have many of those kind of sites.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Im still looking for that civil war era coin. Seems like my civil war sites don't produce coins for some reason.

The ones you found could be from the Civil War. Soldiers probably had coins in their pocket dating back 20 years or more. Check the dates on the coins in your pocket right now. :icon_sunny:

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Awesome button and half dime! Maybe there's another bust coin in there for you. Regarding the knob with the threads on the end, that's a drawer pull.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions