🥇 BANNER BEST hunt to date!! 6 coppers, 2 seated quarters, a BUST HALF DOLLAR and more

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Hey everyone,
Today's hunt started like all the rest but about an hour into it, I got a nice read on my T2 and dug a crusty LC. After that, I decided to grid the surrounding area. About 2ft from the LC I found one of the seated quarters. At this point quite excited. Not long after I got another LC, and then another and another and another and then another!! I was ecstatic at this point. I took my haul back to the car and gave it a few more swings in my gridded area. I sure am glad I did because I found another seated quarter and a few feet from that....AN 1838 BUST HALF DOLLAR. This was a first for me! I actually ended up licking the obverse side of it in the field because I wasn't carrying any water. :laughing7: All three of the silvers are in fantastic condition. The one quarter is absolutely stunning. I took pictures of them before rinsing the dirt off, after rinsing, and after some light brushing with a Qtip. The copper are all large cents from the 1830s and 1840s. I believe this all was either part of a cache or someone lost a change purse in the 1840s or 1850s. In addition to the coins, I found a quartz arrowhead, a few musket balls and a few buttons. Truly a hunt to remember......

Attachments

• IMG_2593.jpg
    IMG_2593.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 640
  • IMG_2596.jpg
    IMG_2596.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 500
  • IMG_2598.jpg
    IMG_2598.jpg
    907.9 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_2601.jpg
    IMG_2601.jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_2602.jpg
    IMG_2602.jpg
    764 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG_2599.jpg
    IMG_2599.jpg
    911.6 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_2600.jpg
    IMG_2600.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_2605.JPG
    IMG_2605.JPG
    696 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    660.6 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_2604.jpg
    IMG_2604.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_2597.jpg
    IMG_2597.jpg
    622.9 KB · Views: 471
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    750.9 KB · Views: 517
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    649.9 KB · Views: 382
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 336
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Upvote 121
OP
OP
Coilcrazy2

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
I don't know anything about the vote count, I think it has a lot to do with the new pics. you added today. Which I mentioned on page 2 you should do.

I've seen a capped half (alone) on the banner that was no better than yours, so....

Suit yourself on the grading company's "opinion" but that will just eat a hole into the coins value. Out of curiosity what do you think they will give on the '44 ?

And congrats on a great hunt, may there be more in your future....mine too, haha.

Yes I was asked by a moderator to provide some more photos of all of the finds to use as a banner photo (like you mentioned before). I guess I should have included them from the beginning. Your guess is as good as mine as far as the grade of the '44. I don't have a real good eye for that thing and I have not brought it to a professional yet (still debating whether I should bother to do that or not) . Thanks again!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I was asked by a moderator to provide some more photos of all of the finds to use as a banner photo (like you mentioned before). I guess I should have included them from the beginning. Your guess is as good as mine as far as the grade of the '44. I don't have a real good eye for that thing and I have not brought it to a professional yet (still debating whether I should bother to do that or not) . Thanks again!

Actually I do have a good idea on the grade, and not a guess, and if you care I don't believe in grading companies getting rich on "opinion" Do not send it in, that will only take away from the value you have left.

Sometimes a grading company will give a higher grade, making the owner feel good, but more often than not the buyer of the coin when (if) it is eventually sold has his own mind, and bids on the coin, not the grade assigned. I've been a serious collector for some 40 years, and I'll stick my neck out here and give you an "opinion" for free. The half is a good EF maybe EF45, it can't be higher because there is basically no mint luster left, both quarters I'd grade EF as well, and as you know one has some, albeit slight, scratches. Someone else may have a higher "opinion" but real buyers won't.

For what it's worth a good EF looks "mint" to most, and does have all the designers intended details, with only "slight wear" an AU coin must have about half of it's original mint luster.

These are high grade coins, again as I said in my post on page 2, congrats again on the superb hunt.

EDIT: Yes if you wanted to take it to a local coin shop for a free "opinion" that is a great idea, again I just wouldn't pay someone, anyone for the same. Not to mention I do not like those coin coffins. HAHA

Good luck out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coilcrazy2

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Actually I do have a good idea on the grade, and not a guess, and if you care I don't believe in grading companies getting rich on "opinion" Do not send it in, that will only take away from the value you have left.

Sometimes a grading company will give a higher grade, making the owner feel good, but more often than not the buyer of the coin when (if) it is eventually sold has his own mind, and bids on the coin, not the grade assigned. I've been a serious collector for some 40 years, and I'll stick my neck out here and give you an "opinion" for free. The half is a good EF maybe EF45, it can't be higher because there is basically no mint luster left, both quarters I'd grade EF as well, and as you know one has some, albeit slight, scratches. Someone else may have a higher "opinion" but real buyers won't.

For what it's worth a good EF looks "mint" to most, and does have all the designers intended details, with only "slight wear" an AU coin must have about half of it's original mint luster.

These are high grade coins, again as I said in my post on page 2, congrats again on the superb hunt.

EDIT: Yes if you wanted to take it to a local coin shop for a free "opinion" that is a great idea, again I just wouldn't pay someone, anyone for the same. Not to mention I do not like those coin coffins. HAHA

Good luck out there.
Wow thanks so much for the information! I can imagine that IS the case when taking them to a dealer so again, thank you for the free assessment! I think I will just place them in little coin holders (rather than "the coffin") so that they don't acquire any more wear.haha
Ben

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a dream find!!!!! Congrats on the great looking coins!!!!!!:occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thanks so much for the information! I can imagine that IS the case when taking them to a dealer so again, thank you for the free assessment! I think I will just place them in little coin holders (rather than "the coffin") so that they don't acquire any more wear.haha
Ben

Congrats on the banner.

Glad you decided to self protect them instead of wasting money on slabbing. I've never seen the point myself.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What can I say that hasn't been said already, just amazing coin finds Coilcrazy2! :occasion14:

Ok, so now... head back out into the field and find another cache, because where there's one there's got to be more! :notworthy:

Congratulations on making the BANNER too,
Dave

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy smokes!that is the stuff dreams are made of right there.Congratulations.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CC2 AWESOME CLAD FIND .....

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on some really, really nice coin finds and congrats on the Banner! I am sorry that I did not see this Thread before now but I have been on the road quite a bit lately, driving for a local Ford Dealership and also trying to sell some of my' guns and collectibles!

Frank

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BIG CONGRATS on one great hunt! My favorite coins both on one hunt and one seated quarter is a jewel for a dug piece!HH

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I hope to be able to make finds like that. So far the only old coins I've found from the 1800's are a couple of indian heads. Actually I've found a couple of foreign coins from the 1850's.

Last edited:

pen

Apr 7, 2015
Ardmore, AL
Detector(s) used
Deus, AT Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Good score ..." in post 7 was the understatement of the year. Crazy amazing score!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread