Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a great hunt today with some great fellas. My bro Charlie was kind enough to take me to a spot on a Staten Island. A site that had history of British Encampments and a couple 1800's homes. It required a bunch of bushwacking but we had a good time.

image.jpg

First was a banging hit...
image.jpg

Then the seated.... image.jpg
image.jpg

Beautiful...a seated half-dime with arrows.

Overall it was a great day with great company. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The lock was cool. Patent date 1884.

Enjoy everyone and happy Thanksgiving

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 34

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - what a day you had Steve!! That totally intact buckle is awesome. You guys seems to find those largies up north, but for some reason that style just doesn't appear down my way, only the smaller versions and the chape is usually separated from the frame due to rusting of the iron pin. And that seated half is another one that has yet to find its way into my pouch. Great day man, and Happy Thanksgiving!

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got out with some outstanding finds! Buckle is freaking awesome! Congrats buddy!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are the silver king buddy, your skill with that CTX has always impressed me. Another seated, you dog, I'm jelly, ha lol
Congrats brother!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one sweet buckle.Great hunt and good job.
Thx, it's probably one of my most favorite things to find.
Very nice, great coin and killer buckle!
Much appreciated. It was a great afternoon of hunting
Nice buckle from 1700's. Never found one.
Too bad they all can't come out that way! You'll find one...next hunt?! Lol
Have to agree with the above comments, that's one sweet buckle. Congrats.
It's mutually agreed. She's a beauty and a survivor
That is one sweet buckle...I love finding those...whole ones are a bonus...Congrats
Whole ones are such a nice bonus. I find lots of pieces since they often are lost after breaking apart. I'm actually curious how they stay whole? Strap breakage?

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a good hunt. Nice buckle, half dime, and cool old lock. Is that the wire from a Hutchinson bottle cork?

Nice hunt scrappy! Great buckle and seated. You even found a Hutchison stopper, cool. Congrats and HH

View attachment 1239943

Haha! Thanks for the ID! I had a feeling it was something cool and man I was right! What's the age on that bottle you have there? Awesome help brother

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well worth the effort for that! Still on my to find list.

Thanks IP. I have a feeling with your finds lately on that Copper Trail, that you'll be finding one of these (but perhaps earlier!)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such a cool relic that looks so different from anything we see today. As you know I love shoe buckles and that is a gorgeous complete specimen. Love that one. Looks like a great site with some nice history. You going back soon?

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like another Day in Paradise ! I get the old buckles kissed by massive John Deere tractors :dontknow: Wish I found one that hasn't been mangled. ... Very Kool .

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool buckle! I'd take that over a coin any day! Congrats and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha! Thanks for the ID! I had a feeling it was something cool and man I was right! What's the age on that bottle you have there? Awesome help brother

The bottle is from 1880s to 1890s from Sing Sing New York, you may be familiar with Ossining New York. Local officials changed the name to Ossining New York from Sing Sing New York back in 1901 as not to be associated with the prison.

Hutchinson Patent Stopper

Charles G. Hutchinson invented and patented the Hutchinson Patent Stopper in 1879 as a replacement for cork bottle stoppers which were commonly being used as stoppers on soda water or pop bottles. His invention employed a wire spring attached to a rubber seal. Production of these stoppers was discontinued after 1912.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448551170.856209.jpg

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Steve.
That Buckle is in fantastic shape. And to find one in tacked is bonus. And that half dime is more like a 1/4 dime!! Lol
Happy Thanksgiving.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve it was nice to hunt with you. I hope we can have another before the season ends. And I invite all of you on t-net to come to fla in jan and hunt until April. You can all stay with me !! HH gl. Thanks for a great day. ( even though my headphones stopped working ). Argh. Hate equipment malfunctions I'll repair it today. See you soon.

It was a good time Charlie. Thanks for putting us on some colonial. I wish my schedule allowed me more time to hunt but we should be able to get another in before seasons end

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome shoe buckle Steve! I think those things are some of the coolest relics we dig. I had been wanting to find a complete one for a long time. After digging a few complete frames, chapes, tongues, and LOTS of broken frame pieces, I finally pulled a complete one a couple months ago.... I sat there looking at it for 5 minutes with a big grin on my face. ha Great job and those complete ones sure are hard to find.

The first buckle I dug was intact and being so new at the hobby I broke it. It was a long time before I found another one intact. This makes two for me. If you think about from everything it took to be lost, then sitting in the ground, then retrieval, it's a miracle any are recovered intact.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Was expecting a bigger silver, but not disappointed, I like the buckle better anyway. I got a few big silvers, but not a complete shoe buckle yet. Still on my top ten list after 8-9 years. BTW I'd prefer one over a cob to add to my case.

Nice hunt.

Yeah I was a stinker with the title. It said the title was too long when I had "dime" on it so I cut that out;) as for Cob vs. buckle I'm not sure. Ive found both and just don't think I could decide...that would be like having two supermodels and just being able to choose one!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent hunt. congrats.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That buckle could be used in a text book as an example! Great condition.
Thx Dave. I must say it is a pretty sweet dug example. I wish I could tie it to the British Troops more then haut by date.
Intact shoe buckles are one those finds that almost every detectors knows that they just don't show up like that all too often, you pulled a piece of history that doesn't happen to very many of us
Continued success to you!
I was just saying its a small miracle any of them make it out intact really. Right down to them being dug out by a careless hand.
You are the silver king buddy, your skill with that CTX has always impressed me. Another seated, you dog, I'm jelly, ha lol
Congrats brother!
Thx Brad. The CTX is a good machine. I don't know why anybody would sell one?!?! ;)
Amazing shoe buckle Scrappy!
Thx. I'm thinking of making a display with one intact one and one in pieces (that I broke)
Glad you got out with some outstanding finds! Buckle is freaking awesome! Congrats buddy!
Much appreciated.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - what a day you had Steve!! That totally intact buckle is awesome. You guys seems to find those largies up north, but for some reason that style just doesn't appear down my way, only the smaller versions and the chape is usually separated from the frame due to rusting of the iron pin. And that seated half is another one that has yet to find its way into my pouch. Great day man, and Happy Thanksgiving!

I remember your buckles and how much smaller they were than the ones I've dug. It must have been a regional style difference? Or do you think it's because a lot of your buckles are earlier single tongue style. I must say I was especially jealous when I held your silver spectacle buckle. I have never found any of those early ones. Happy Thanksgiving buddy

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first buckle I dug was intact and being so new at the hobby I broke it. It was a long time before I found another one intact. This makes two for me. If you think about from everything it took to be lost, then sitting in the ground, then retrieval, it's a miracle any are recovered intact.

So true! I would think some were lost due to the pin breaking and most likely the frame fell off, leaving the chape and tongue in the shoe strap. For one to be lost as a complete buckle, that probably didn't happen much at all. Of the ones that were lost intact, probably most had the pin rusting out after 250+ years in the dirt... add in plowing or tree roots or grading (etc.) and it really is a miracle like you said... finally the last obstacle is us not hitting it with a shovel. ha

I dug my complete one on the first day I used my new Deus. I was still a little off with pinpointing and it wasn't centered in the plug... boy was I lucky I didn't hit it or I would have never forgiven myself.

Congrats again on a killer buckle man and Happy Thanksgiving!

Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread