Civil War SILVER! And brass . . . and lead . . .

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is the SECOND time I've missed my chance to hit the good field at the Union camp between crops. Beans were cut while I was out of the country, and when I got back . . . cover crop was already in. So I hit the briar thickets and fought brush and overgrowth all day. A scattering of bullets, camp lead, a broken button and an iron buckle frame was all I had to show for the scratches until about 3:30.

DSCN2088.JPG

Then I found an Eagle cuff button, then 5 feet away I got a signal, kicked the leaves aside and the signal moved. Normally I would walk away, assuming it was a .22 casing or shotgun shell under the leaves. But it was so loud, I followed it. This 1861 half-dime was on TOP of the ground, just under the leaves. Amazing to me. Thick woods, never cultivated, 150 years later, on TOP of the ground. Wow. Funny thing - in three years of hunting this camp, I've found only 3 coins. All have been this type (Is this what's called a "seated"??), all have been dimes or half dimes, and all have been 1861. Weird.

DSCN2091.JPG DSCN2092.JPG

Three feet from THAT I dug a 3-ring bullet and found this bottle neck while digging. A few more feet and out pops an Eagle coat button.

DSCN2093.JPG

You better believe I SCOURED that area, but I never got another signal. Good day for me . . . Happy Thanksgiving everybody . . .

DSCN2094.JPG

Upvote 35

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
Great saves!! Nice Half Dime!! Looks to be in great shape!!

looks like a fun site!! Good luck on the next hunt!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Seated half dime!! The eagle button with shank,3 ringers and musketballs, nice hunt ! I'd be very pleased. Congrats. HH

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 1861 is a GREAT find PW! Nice eagles & bullets. You had a good day Bud & Happy Thanksgiving to you. HH, Q.

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scrappy told me to check inside the three ringers for a star pattern inside the hole on bottom. If so it's rare !! HH gl

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice haul man! Love all those different colors of a civil war camp! You got glass, silver, lead, brass, etc! Congrats on the AU HD!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just how in the world would that silver be on top of the ground? That is amazing. You'd think the years of decomposed falling leaves would have made an inch or so of cover. Nice finds PW.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent day! Reminds me of when I first started on the "mansion". I ran across a spot where I was finding Indian Head cents ON TOP of the ground! About ten of them! LOL

Never assume that a signal is too loud, nor too shallow. :)

WTG!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day no doubt!!! Those are the kind of hunts that keeps us addicted. Nice job

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a beautiful half dime. The rest ain't too shabby either.
congrats.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. I have yet to find 1860's silver at my civil war sites, not that I have many of those sites.
BTW, you are funny. (Is this what's called a "seated"??), :laughing7: That made me laugh. YES!!!!!!!
Cant believe that baby was ontop of the ground. Nice buttons, bullets, relics too.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer hunt, congrats!

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. I have yet to find 1860's silver at my civil war sites, not that I have many of those sites.
BTW, you are funny. (Is this what's called a "seated"??), :laughing7: That made me laugh. YES!!!!!!!
Cant believe that baby was ontop of the ground. Nice buttons, bullets, relics too.

BP - I wasn't trying to be goofy, man! I strictly hunt CW relics, and coins don't show up all that often on the battlefield for me. So I'm pretty ignorant on coins. Don't get me wrong, I think they're VERY cool to find, but I'm pretty inexperienced about 'em. So thanks - "seated" it is!!

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just how in the world would that silver be on top of the ground? That is amazing. You'd think the years of decomposed falling leaves would have made an inch or so of cover. Nice finds PW.

OD - No DOUBT! I mean, what kind of wind, erosion, composting could one even THINK UP that would result in that coin staying just under the leaves. The buttons, bullets and glass were from 4" to 8". Going back tomorrow to do a little "excavation" in that area. Suspicious that I may be near a latrine trench or trash area. Wish me luck . . .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread