Nailed it!!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Oh Black Friday was a dark day lol

As usual, me and Iron Patch hit the copper trail in search of something to put in our pouches. Pretty much a day like any other, we tried a couple of old sites looking for leftovers, and that was a flop. We travelled around here and there, sadly the property owners we were looking for weren't available to talk to; and a few other places we looked at were not suitable for detecting today. We put a few kilometers on the car trying to get a place to swing.

Half way through the afternoon we finally got on a site that was surprisingly easy to find, it was two steps into the field ,we detected for a while! Now here's the "great" part, it was full of crap!So many pieces of tiny flakes of brass and copper which sounded great in the headphones but were just pitiful when you got them out. So many brass/copper nails!Normally in a hunt you might see one or two, but I was 'nailing' them all over the place, and had quite a few at the end of the day.Relics were few today, I got a musketball, a few flat buttons and only two and a bit coppers; nothing too old or exciting.The only thing that brightened my day was a small little piece of what would have been a stunning silver shoe buckle, I didn't get any other pieces or see anything else worth mentioning.

It was a gorgeous day for detecting today, and most likely will be the last day like this for the rest of the season. Snow forcast for tomorrow and freezing temps for the next few days; hopefully we will get a time or two before the copper trail peters out under the blanket of winter.

Attachments

• bfnails.JPG
    bfnails.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 190
  • bfstuf.JPG
    bfstuf.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 203
  • bfsbp.JPG
    bfsbp.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Upvote 24
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
At least you got a good sniff of silver, and a token for your efforts. Yup anything that 3-4X the length of you and weighing 20X more isn't a match to go up against, play it safe.

The day ended on a positive note; moving forward, I just think of all the headaches and paperwork that was avoided

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess you nailed, good thing they weren't used on your coffin that almost fatal day... that buckle would've been sweet whole... Think I was with you and IP when he dug his... I have a whole silver knee buckle and a partial like that as well...

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Guess you nailed, good thing they weren't used on your coffin that almost fatal day... that buckle would've been sweet whole... Think I was with you and IP when he dug his... I have a whole silver knee buckle and a partial like that as well...

I thought of the coffin nail reference came to mind, but that was just morbid; I'm past that line of thinking now and concentrating on more positive things if I can help it

Keeping my eyes open a little more may put more silver in the pouch!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG NICE FINDS THERE IRON HORSE..

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ironhorse, Really glad it was just a close call and you had a successful day of hunting. Great finds, but that silver buckle fragment is awesome man. If that thing was complete it would have been incredible. I really liked IPs and RMs pictures they posted as well. Does a silver shoe buckle have a silver chape and tongue, or is it just the frame that is silver? We don't see many of these silver fragments posted and as much as I love shoe buckles, finding a complete silver one is about one of the best finds I could imagine!

-Brad

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Ironhorse, Really glad it was just a close call and you had a successful day of hunting. Great finds, but that silver buckle fragment is awesome man. If that thing was complete it would have been incredible. I really liked IPs and RMs pictures they posted as well. Does a silver shoe buckle have a silver chape and tongue, or is it just the frame that is silver? We don't see many of these silver fragments posted and as much as I love shoe buckles, finding a complete silver one is about one of the best finds I could imagine!

-Brad

Hi OA
I've found a few pieces but never a whole one, so I'm not sure about silver throughout every aspect
Ive seen several complete kneebuckles all silver, but I've yet to see a complete shoe buckles entirely silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread