Nailed it!!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Oh Black Friday was a dark day lol

As usual, me and Iron Patch hit the copper trail in search of something to put in our pouches. Pretty much a day like any other, we tried a couple of old sites looking for leftovers, and that was a flop. We travelled around here and there, sadly the property owners we were looking for weren't available to talk to; and a few other places we looked at were not suitable for detecting today. We put a few kilometers on the car trying to get a place to swing.

Half way through the afternoon we finally got on a site that was surprisingly easy to find, it was two steps into the field ,we detected for a while! Now here's the "great" part, it was full of crap!So many pieces of tiny flakes of brass and copper which sounded great in the headphones but were just pitiful when you got them out. So many brass/copper nails!Normally in a hunt you might see one or two, but I was 'nailing' them all over the place, and had quite a few at the end of the day.Relics were few today, I got a musketball, a few flat buttons and only two and a bit coppers; nothing too old or exciting.The only thing that brightened my day was a small little piece of what would have been a stunning silver shoe buckle, I didn't get any other pieces or see anything else worth mentioning.

It was a gorgeous day for detecting today, and most likely will be the last day like this for the rest of the season. Snow forcast for tomorrow and freezing temps for the next few days; hopefully we will get a time or two before the copper trail peters out under the blanket of winter.

Attachments

• bfnails.JPG
    bfnails.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 190
  • bfstuf.JPG
    bfstuf.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 203
  • bfsbp.JPG
    bfsbp.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Upvote 24

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IH,

That piece of silver shoe buckle is a nice keeper to bad it wasn't intact or at least you had found the rest of it.

Regards + HH

Bill

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, as Bill said, the silver would have been a gorgeous piece whole. Congrats on getting the piece and the rest. Were the brass nails used in ship building? I bet they do sound nice in the phones.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That silver buckle probably belonged to some very rich aristocrat back in the day, so cool! Too bad it's going to snow soon, I think we all dread this time of year, nothing worse than sitting at home with the machines and digging tools against the wall. But it does give us time to do more research on the finds we already have, catalog them, and find new places to hunt on the maps for next season :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Yeah, as Bill said, the silver would have been a gorgeous piece whole. Congrats on getting the piece and the rest. Were the brass nails used in ship building? I bet they do sound nice in the phones.

You got it OD!
I was thinking the area was used for ship building, I've found similar nails and spikes at other sites I believe were shipyards too

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That silver buckle probably belonged to some very rich aristocrat back in the day, so cool! Too bad it's going to snow soon, I think we all dread this time of year, nothing worse than sitting at home with the machines and digging tools against the wall. But it does give us time to do more research on the finds we already have, catalog them, and find new places to hunt on the maps for next season :thumbsup:

Yeah our season is winding down

I'll be going over my finds and sorting them out, making room for next years bounty!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't imagine how rare it would be to dig a buckle like that intact because even just finding a piece is rare!

Here's the one I found several years back. I had two smaller chunks of it as well, one having the maker's mark.

Attachments

• sbuckle.jpg
    sbuckle.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 121

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes a complete one of those would be top shelf indeed. Like you say a piece is better than not.
Was going out today got post phoned till tomorrow.

EDIT;
Forgot to mention I been a two sites littered with those copper nails, both right on, practically in the water. Can't not dig them. I know spanish is there just so many of those to dig to get to one.

Last edited:

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day! Glad you guys managed to avoid disaster, in more ways than one. The silver shoe buckle piece is a stunner! Here's one I found as well.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I can't imagine how rare it would be to dig a buckle like that intact because even just finding a piece is rare!

Here's the one I found several years back. I had two smaller chunks of it as well, one having the maker's mark.

Yeah those large open work frames can't be all too sturdy, something like those were not everyday wear.
Whole ones from ploughed fields would be a miracle!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Yes a complete one of those would be top shelf indeed. Like you say a piece is better than not.
Was going out today got post phoned till tomorrow.

EDIT;
Forgot to mention I been a two sites littered with those copper nails, both right on, practically in the water. Can't not dig them. I know spanish is there just so many of those to dig to get to one.

Thats right you can't ignore a good signal; my first rule of relic hunting, ,,,dig every repeatable signal!
I know some people out there only dig certain vdi numbers, and that's just wrong; I dont even look at the screen, I detect on sound alone

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Great day! Glad you guys managed to avoid disaster, in more ways than one. The silver shoe buckle piece is a stunner! Here's one I found as well.

Im not sure what you heard but almost getting smoked by an 18 wheeler wasn't part of my plan yesterday, ,,,true story!
Disaster of any kind isn't what I search for!
Glad I made it back to join the "silver buckle fragments club"

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure what you heard but almost getting smoked by an 18 wheeler wasn't part of my plan yesterday, ,,,true story!
Disaster of any kind isn't what I search for!
Glad I made it back to join the "silver buckle fragments club"

Yup that's exactly what I heard. Chris was saying it was a pretty close call. Scary stuff man. All in the name of history!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to see the entire shoe buckle, I hope you can locate the rest of it.
ZDD

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread got right by me. Hey congrats on the late season coppers and a amazing buckle piece. I've never found even the littlest piece of a silver buckle. Cheers and again I'm glad you and grumpy are ok after that close call.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
This thread got right by me. Hey congrats on the late season coppers and a amazing buckle piece. I've never found even the littlest piece of a silver buckle. Cheers and again I'm glad you and grumpy are ok after that close call.

Your day will come, your sites are just the place where a nice silver buckle can easily show up

On another note, just think how pissed and cranky IP would have been had I ruined his detecting day

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions