Anyone Been To The BARBER Lately?!!!!!

TxSchelter

Jan 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1896 S BARBER QUARTER!!! SUPER RARE KEY DATE AND MY FIRST BARBER!!!!

IMG_0166.PNG

image.png
Barber s.jpg

IMG_0198 (1).PNG

1896 S Barber Quarter! A rare key date for my first barber what are the odds! Should I just hang up the detector now?? Could it get any better?!!!

Barbers might me somewhat commonplace for some of the MD'ers on this site but not for me so I am in heaven!
I not only found my first barber but 2 of them in 10 minutes.

Barbers are just hard to find in my north texas town because we simply don't have the history of the colonial towns, etc.
I have found probably 30 silver coins in my 3 years of detecting and these are my first barbers.

The house I found these at was built in 1930 according to the tax roll(as old as it gets in my town) and I have been itching to detect it since I got started in this hobby.
I have watched and watched it and even knocked on the door once with no success. Finally after losing all hope and just driving the neighborhoods looking for rent/sale signs I was driving by this house and it had a sign out front!! After talking with the homeowner he assured me I would not find anything because he grew up in the house and detected it numerous time but I convinced him to humor me and let me look!

This house had a big front yard and after gridding it I had only come up with an Alabama sales tax token and 2 or 3 Wheaties so I was not too hopeful for good silver. I went around to the back and was immediately discouraged to see that half of the ground was covered in downed trees, trash, etc.

So with a heavy heart I started gridding the best I could with what I had to work with. My high spirits were now crushed from this once iconic house turning out to be a flop. After a few trash items, I am digging even the questionable signals, a beautiful sounding 12-45 pops across my etrac's screen. I pop the plug drop the dime size coin in my hand see a flash of silver and prepare to expose yet another merc (even though I love anything silver). I give it a rub and oh my god I see 1904 on that bad boy! I look up to the sky and slam my fists on the ground in celebration and follow it all up with a few very quiet screams!!

So now the day cant get any better I can finally cross a barber coin off my list. I dig some more trash and ten feet away from my barber dime I get a 12-46 that doesn't sound special and out pops a quarter size coin and my heart drops as I rub it and it looked perfectly smooth. I thought I had an aluminum knockout but as I flipped it over just to confirm I rub the other side and see the stars and 1896! It was heavily worn and had a good size scratch on the front that didn't look fresh so I don't think it was me but I don't care the coin is perfect in my eyes!!!

One of my best days ive had. Just re-iterates that you have to stay positive and don't rush yourself when you think your on a bad site!

Happy Holidays....

IMG_0163.PNG

IMG_0164.PNG
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0165.PNG
IMG_0162.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    682.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Upvote 18

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great barber shop. Hopefully I will join the guys sooner or later. Great finds!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 1896 is quite rare, it may be worth upwards of $30! Check for the mint mark! If you see an S your in the REAL money as only about 100,000 were made! 1896 just by itself is quite a rare date for a Barber quarter.

Holy Moly! This is an 1896-S! It's worth over a grand!!!
Check it out, I zoomed in on the pic you provided, and you can clearly see the "S" mint mark! Only 100,000 ever made! Jackpot!
Barber s.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TxSchelter

Jan 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap Underminer you are right!

I gave this quarter a quick look in the field and missed the mint mark it is so worn. But the coin was dirty I just threw it in my pouch and didn't even realize what I had!! Thank you so much I will get it under a magnifying glass and try to take some better pics.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on checking 2 off the bucket list. :occasion14: I can feel through your writing that you will be stoked for quite some time. :headbang: Barbers fly solo in my area.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the two silver recoveries!

OP
OP
T

TxSchelter

Jan 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap guys just found an S mint mark on the 1896!!!

If you look closely you can see it in my pic.

It is so worn I didn't catch it at first. I don't know what to do here may just repost with updated pics!!!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap guys just found an S mint mark on the 1896!!!

If you look closely you can see it in my pic.

It is so worn I didn't catch it at first. I don't know what to do here may just repost with updated pics!!!

Yep, I see it too! You've hit the jackpot dude! :headbang:
That's worth hundreds, perhaps thousands!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah great title pun, but even greater barbers. Congrats on your first two!

Steve

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah great title pun, but even greater barbers. Congrats on your first two!

Steve

Dude, this is an 1896-S, it's worth a fortune! How is it that nobody sees the mint mark in the pic!? This is a banner find bro!

OP
OP
T

TxSchelter

Jan 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys so much I'm working on getting better pics of the mint mark right now!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent score on a rare key date. congrats!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good to me!!!! Awesome saves on the silver!!!!!!:occasion14:

want2skydive

Jan 12, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. Glad to see fellow Texans here. I have a question for you coin buffs. If I find a coin like this should I try to clean it or will that do more damage than good?

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the 3 rarest Barber quarters, and your very first- quite the story. I'm nominating it for the banner, and you should also contact Western & Eastern magazine- definitely a find of the year! Big time congrats!!

-- Jeff --

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finding Barbers is fun, but finding a key date takes it to a new level. Great find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread