Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday Ironhorse and myself were out, was an incredible day for weather, but that is changing now so our season is drawing closer to the end... so the end of the copper trail is near. I certainly didn't get any finds worthy to post, but thinking about what could have been, I'm pretty glad to live to hunt another day!

What happen was Ironhorse and I were leaving a field from what was basically just a path through the woods. It wasn't a long path but was very uneven and probably somewhere a car shouldn't be going, so it was a rough ride out with the car bottoming out several times. So pulling out on to what I guess I would describe as a country road was a relief to be on pavement again, and at the same time we were discussing the next place to go. It was then out of nowhere we heard a horn blaring! It was very confusing because neither of us seen anything coming, and maybe it was a blind spot because of the trees, or maybe being in the passenger seat I created the blind spot as we were turning.... really don't know, but I was not paying much attention and seen nothing. Ironhorse then slowly pulled over to the opposite side of the road, and doing it slowly I think indicates he really didn't have a clue what was happening, but at the same time found the focus to put us to where we had to be.... when quite honestly I was still there thinking what the hell is that. It was no more than 3 seconds later a huge truck goes flying by, still laying on the horn, and it was like a damn fright train passing us. Both of us just sat there for a few seconds contemplating what the result could have been because there was absolutely no way that thing was stopping, and I'd say it was a good 10 minutes before we were able to shake that one off and get back to thinking about detecting. I'm very glad to be able to give everyone a reminder to be careful, and to passengers don't distract the driver! We've been detecting together since 1999 and never had anything happen like this, or even close really... we were lucky!

Attachments

• 48aaaa.jpg
    48aaaa.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 139
  • ct1.jpg
    ct1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Upvote 8

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Whew! So glad you two made it safely! :icon_thumright:

Once some years ago my adult son & I were coming back from lazy day fishing in our local small river. To avoid the long trek down & out of a big ravine, we took our usual shortcut across the elevated railroad bridge, after listening carefully to make sure no train was coming through this wooded area. We were wrong! Heard the train when we were half-way across the narrow bridge! Moment of pure terror. Instinct took over and we ran as fast as possible without tripping over the uneven ties, made it to end of bridge and veered onto the dirt shoulder just seconds before the train roared past. A lesson I should've learned decades earlier! Andi

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew! So glad you two made it safely! :icon_thumright:

Once some years ago my adult son & I were coming back from lazy day fishing in our local small river. To avoid the long trek down & out of a big ravine, we took our usual shortcut across the elevated railroad bridge, after listening carefully to make sure no train was coming through this wooded area. We were wrong! Heard the train when we were half-way across the narrow bridge! Moment of pure terror. Instinct took over and we ran as fast as possible without tripping over the uneven ties, made it to end of bridge and veered onto the dirt shoulder just seconds before the train roared past. A lesson I should've learned decades earlier! Andi

Often times over the years, especially on the bad days, I've often wondered how close I was to finding something great that day, and did I make a simple wrong choice that cost me making that find. Several years back an old coworker of mine was driving a coke delivery truck and another truck coming towards him lost his extremely heavy load and killed my coworker instantly. It blows my mind how such precise and bad timing led to such a tragedy, and had either driver did anything to create a 5 second difference in their day it would not have unfolded like it did. Well yesterday was the first time in my life where bad timing and a combination of things made for what was a very close call, too close.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your close call with disaster.
Riding a motorcycle all these years, I have learned
to drive 200% defensively. Crazy stuff going on out there.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Life if fragile, and can be taken away in a twinkling.
Yep great to live to dig another day.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy Crap, glad to hear you fellas are ok! Not to get off subject but it looks like that trail continues directly across that highway in that clearing. Have you door knocked that farm?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Crap, glad to hear you fellas are ok! Not to get off subject but it looks like that trail continues directly across that highway in that clearing. Have you door knocked that farm?

That's just a house on the water, but we went to the right to the fields on the creek and surprisingly found very little! Might have to revisit that area some day.

Attachments

• 48aaaa.jpg
    48aaaa.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 99

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think your spandex suit would have help much in that situation. Thank God it turned out the way it did.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you guys are ok buddy. One of my good friends was driving a dump truck and was hit by a semi loaded down with logs. The guy fell asleep and crushed my buddy coming around a corner. The worst part is that he was alive for a couple hours in that mangled mess of metal while they tried to cut him out. His wife was just about to have his little girl. We have seen some horrible wrecks where I used to live in northern Maine. Usually truckers hauling logs that fall asleep on those dangerous windy roads. Life is full of near misses my friend. Glad that's what life had in store for you. Where the hell would I have sent that dollar lol

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Live to detect another day...Certainly is a good reminder for everyone to pay attention when we are out...we all know how fragile life is.
Had close calls in the past but not detecting related...sure puts things into perspective.
Thanks for the reminder.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only to a hole in the ground I think.....

i learned a valuable lesson and now to grow another set of eyes on the back of my head

Well the boys in NB and their boat did hold the record for a lot of years. :laughing7:

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice to hear you guys are ok.
its moments like that, that make you realize how short and precious life really is.
One day you're here, and then you're gone.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
You never even had a chance of being hit IP only the good die young:)

~Blaze~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread