Need Help!! Possible Mule Penny?!? IHP and Lincoln cent?!?

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Need some help guys. My buddy found a really strange coin yesterday. But if it's a US mint screw up, I have to imagine it's very valuable. It's a copper penny with the obverse of a 1921 wheat Penny, and the other side of the coin is an obverse of an 1892 Indian Head Penny?!? Is this a possible carnival piece, or somebody else messing around? Those dates seem too far apart, for me to think it's a US Mint Error coin, but stranger things have happened? Appreciate the help. This isn't a joke either. The pics are truly the same coin. Anyways, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 9

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, talk about a mystery. You just never know what is going to find.
Hold it in a mirror so we can see both sides at once?
Please, just saying?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for a seam. Coins can be sliced by laser and slapped together.

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm trying to get him to shoot a video of him flipping it in his hand etc. but his phone is archaic. Will try and get some better pics and or video.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
what Iron Patch said. Check the rim for a seam. Also you can try the drop test. Take a standard wheat or IHC and drop it on the counter. Then try dropping that thing. Sandwich coins tend to have a dull thud, while fully struck coins have a nice ring. Not sure about dug coins though, never tried it!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Any experienced machinist can create something like this. I know a few that have lathed cavities in cents such that dimes with one side and edge lathed and machined smooth would snugly fit. Why not two different cents?

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This ones killing me, If your buddy holds it in front of the bathroom mirror then we should be able to see both sides at once. You know like a bathroom mirror selfie?

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heads, you always win. Sub 8-)

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpg
Picture of the rim. Definitely looks tampered with, but still a really cool find. Thanks to everybody that chimed in.

Cheers

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This ones killing me, If your buddy holds it in front of the bathroom mirror then we should be able to see both sides at once. You know like a bathroom mirror selfie?

Sooooo....just what is it you're saying Treb ole buddy? You don't trust his word? ;)

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
You could tell by the condition of the Lincoln side it's 2 different types metal composition (Lincoln side blistered/corroded). Seeing the rim obviously shows someone had entirely too much time on their hands :laughing7:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Curious how it was done though....seems to have been done a long time ago....didn't have laser cutters back in the day....I suppose a jeweler could have done it.... and WHY would they do it? Bizarre, and awesome.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Was likely done with a flat file.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now that it is clean, east to see, but I bet it caused your buddy to do a double take (WTF) when he found it.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be that someone was playing around and created the two headed coin for shits and giggles, or it could be significant. Maybe a birth and death date? That would be cool!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's some pretty massive odds to beat for this to be legit. :)

If you find a coin that has two heads or tails, you may first think that you have discovered an valuable mint error. They may appear to have two heads or two tails, but most of these coins aren't made that way at the Mint. Nearly all of these two-headed/tailed coins are called "magic coins" which are used in magic tricks, or to cheat in a coin toss.

(With only three known exceptions. One is from the 1800s - a double-head Indian Head Cent. Another is a two-tailed Washington Quarter. The third is a two-tailed dime from the 1980s.)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The odds are astronomical, and besides it being two obverse dies from different eras the indian shows a lot of wear. So do you really think a mule like this could actually circulate in the 1900s for many years and no one would keep it?

Both coins were likely shaved down and joined together about the time the wheat came out, and then lost shortly after and have been in the ground many years. It's a cool find but to believe this could be legit you'd have to have a pretty strong sense of delusional optimism. :)

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a coin years ago, a dime on one side, a penny on the other. My dad was a machinist at GM, I think he was fooling with me!!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No matter how you look at it, it's a cool find. Must have surprised you when you first saw it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread