Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a message this morning around 5 A.M. It was from Diggin Dude, (Andy). He said he was on his way to a park in the city with "DoninBrewster" He extended an invitation. I had to decline. The forecast was for rain and I can't chance getting the E-Trac wet.
Then one of my favorite weather persons came on the TV and said. If we do get rain, it will come in the form of passing showers and won't amount to much. Now if Amy Freeze, (Yep, that's her real name), of Channel 7 Weather says it isn't going to amount to much, it's time to load up the bike. And boy is she pretty. (If only I were 2 years younger).

So I arrive at the park and start swinging the coil at 9 A.M. The weapon of choice in this park seems to be the CTX 3030. Most of the guys that hunt here,, don't dig anything but deep signals. Well it was evident that there was an abundance of Nickels that were being passed over. I started sweeping the coil paying close attention to the nickel numbers. I was also hoping for a stray piece of gold.

I saw a guy passing a little bit away. He was carrying a CTX. I waved hello and he waved back. I went back to the target I was digging. I looked up and this fellow was asking, "How's it going?" "Pretty good," was my response and I show him a copper ring I had just dug. He told me he was on his way to the woods. He had been hunting with a few guys on the other side of the field and it was getting too crowded. I asked him if DoninBrewster and Andy, were over there. He said, " I'm Andy" I said, I'm "Against The Wind," nice to meet you. How's that for a coincidence? You want to hear about something that is really a coincidence? That ring I showed him,, when I got it home and cleaned it up, I realized that there was a name on the ring. It says, "ANDREW" How's that for coincidence? Anyway, me and Andy stayed on this lawn for a little bit and he then hit the neighboring woods.
Eventually Diggin Dude headed back to where Don and Company were swinging their coils and I continued to pick away at the nickels. The passing showers came and they didn't amount to much more than a little drizzle. The rain cover on the E-Trac was more than enough to handle the dampness. Before I knew it, it was 4;30 or as we say in NYC, DARK thirty. I loaded up the bike and headed back to the city. By the time I hit the Tunnel, the passing showers had PASSED. Nice day of hunting and always great to meet another TNetter. Oh yeah,, thank you Amy Freeze,, (If only I was 2 years younger)
My finds for the day were: 16q, 51d, 38 NICKELS, 19 memorials, 5 Wheat pennies, (19, 42, 44, 45, & 46), a 1905 Liberty Nickel, a no date Buffalo, and a 1979 Candian Penny.
My 2015 Silver Coin Count now sits at 155 Coins.
IMG_2400.JPG IMG_2401.JPG IMG_2399.JPG IMG_2402.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 7

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
loved the post, I think it would have been better if you were 2 years younger. :tongue3: You sure killed the nickles today and the name on the ring is a real weird coincidence. Now go get your Freeze on. :thumbsup:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the story and of course the amazing amount of finds. All of them add up to a wonderful day, Congrats!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did some serious digging yesterday. Saw you over on the hill by that big tree for hours.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will your tongue stick to Amy Freeze? nice to try that experiment. digs are pretty too:--))

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a whole lot of Nickels what a shame one of them didn't turn out to be a gold target. Congratulations on the V nickel though, that is a really nice find.

Nice to meet you yesterday and hunt with you. It is a cool park but sometimes people are annoying there. Don informed me that a woman was videoing our group when we were digging our targets, and she was complaining to him about us doing so. Of course we all have our permits, and we all carefully dig our plugs and return the soil and turf back to the condition we found it. I would never think of just taking my phone out and videoing a stranger, I don't know, I'm I guess I'm from a different time.

After I clean up some of my finds I'll post them tomorrow night.

Next time I head back down there I'll text you the night before let you know, meanwhile happy hunting and once again great to meet you. Andy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions