1722 KG i, 4 Shoe Buckle Fragments, Tiny Anchor Button

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed out early this am for a hunt. Got to a new spot and quickly lost hope. Soooo I decided to hike about 6 miles one way to a small black dot that I saw on a late 1700s map. Took me forever to find the cellar hole but I finally did. Absolutely beautiful spot on a high ridge overlooking a tidal River. Didn't have a whole lot of time but I'm guessing this spot hasn't been hunted before. Nobody else is dumb enough to hike that far for a small dot on a map. I found a tiny little anchor button while I was trying to find the cellar hole.
Found 4 broken shoe buckles in the short time I was there. A couple would have been pretty damn nice. Also found a couple of large flat buttons and a nice little designed Tombac. A few pieces of lead and a broken pewter spoon.
The 1722 kgi is a first. Found tons of 2's but never a 1. This coin was covered in what I call coast disease. Strangely this crust often protects the coin underneath. I was shocked to get this much detail from it. Hoping to get a few more hunts in before the big freeze.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 20

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with that copper! Ole George I is a scarce dude in these parts. The effort you make will greatly reward you in time, but you'll have many more days like this to earn the killer sites.... but they will come.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a nice little haul there Abe. The find of the day has to be the KG1 - I've never dug one of those down this way. Those are some huge Georgian shoe buckles too, and it's unfortunate that none of the pieces fit together. Regardless, be thankful you had the opportunity to get out and swing at this time of year as I'm sure that has to be unusual. Hope you can make it out again soon.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice buddy, you found the dot! I knew you would...

And all the awesome stuff to go with it. I'm jealous of each and every one of those buckles. All I've ever found were the wire frame ones. The KG is looking good especially after all that crud. Nothing feels better than when you think a coin is shot and it turns out to be great.

Keep them coming!

Steve

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like George I's but rarely find any. That pretty nice, really. A nice hunt with some early stuff. :occasion14:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Hey Ahab, I'm certain I would chase a black dot on a map for some those finds myself!
The George copper is in pretty great condition even with coastal disease; the anchor button is something I've not seen before, therefore very cool!
I like seeing things that haven't seen the light of day in a couple of centuries!
If you're going to get it done, do it quick!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff !! Nice coppers, cool anchor button and I always like musketballs!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You finally had a minute off work.
Worth the walk.
Yes GEO I seldom comes out of hiding, good you got a readable date. It's always nice to get something you've not got before. I believe I only have one of those also, and it is nice.
Nice looking Navy button, I assume Navy.
Been nice if one of the buckles were not broke.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Nice buckle pieces....I'd be happy with those...good job cleaning the George I ...I've only found one myself...but I find a lot of 2's ..Congrats

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kudos to you for going with your gut to walk the 6 miles to the cellar hole Abe! :occasion14:
The The 1722 KGI came out looking beautiful my freind!

I'll have a couple of beers for you at the Sea Dog in Bangor when I'm in town this week. :laughing7:
Dave

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with that copper! Ole George I is a scarce dude in these parts. The effort you make will greatly reward you in time, but you'll have many more days like this to earn the killer sites.... but they will come.

Yep these hunts are fun and get you through to the next big one. Happy with the kg

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice little haul there Abe. The find of the day has to be the KG1 - I've never dug one of those down this way. Those are some huge Georgian shoe buckles too, and it's unfortunate that none of the pieces fit together. Regardless, be thankful you had the opportunity to get out and swing at this time of year as I'm sure that has to be unusual. Hope you can make it out again soon.
Thanks buddy. Went to a beautiful spot and found a few things. I'm ready for another rare one though. Think I'm hitting a Rev War soldiers cellar home when I get home. Prob be disappointment but you never know

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buddy, you found the dot! I knew you would...

And all the awesome stuff to go with it. I'm jealous of each and every one of those buckles. All I've ever found were the wire frame ones. The KG is looking good especially after all that crud. Nothing feels better than when you think a coin is shot and it turns out to be great.

Keep them coming!

Steve
I was pretty amazed that this kind of detail wa under there. I hit it with warm hp then let it sit in cold hp for a couple days. Shocked to get a date

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like George I's but rarely find any. That pretty nice, really. A nice hunt with some early stuff. :occasion14:

It'll do until I get back into the great stuff. Man I was looking at your finds from that site. I am blown away man. The coppers are gorgeous! What a spot

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks buddy. Went to a beautiful spot and found a few things. I'm ready for another rare one though. Think I'm hitting a Rev War soldiers cellar home when I get home. Prob be disappointment but you never know

Well you see what my 10 are so a few good hunts and you'd easily be back in! I'm pretty close to being done here I think so my list likely won't change.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just finding the dot is a winner after hiking all that distance as many have problems finding a site in a field that's only measured in acreage. Getting some finds is a nice bonus especially the copper and button as both are fine keepers. Seeing so many buckle pieces shows that there was something happening for a period of time at the site and anyone of them complete would be a real sweet bonus. Best of luck getting out again for a few hunts before the freeze up.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice early site there! Got a few of those early Geo I's also but they are hard to find and my earliest readable date is 1723, you beat me by a year lol... Surprised you got that much detail on it...a lot better than a crusty cooper that you can't ID... Also love that button, adds to the button display!
Congrats and thanks for sharing once again.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt Abe! That KGI and all those buckle fragments were totally worth it man. Your KG looks like it wasn't circulated long before being lost. Like many others that commented, would have also chased that black dot. :thumbsup: I have one black dot that I've been trying, but I haven't been able to locate yet... hopefully that means that others haven't located it either. Once hunting season is over, I am going to try and find it again. Also... odd, but of the 10 or so KGs I've dug, two have been KGI's and those are the only two I could get a date off of. Awesome job removing that scale from yours.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AHAB THE ONE PEICE OF LEAD LOOKS LIKE A SUPPOSITORY FOR U KNOW , BUT WHAT NEET FINDS U HAVE THERE.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice early site there! Got a few of those early Geo I's also but they are hard to find and my earliest readable date is 1723, you beat me by a year lol... Surprised you got that much detail on it...a lot better than a crusty cooper that you can't ID... Also love that button, adds to the button display!
Congrats and thanks for sharing once again.

But I have the 1717, he never beats me! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread