4 LCs, 3 CW Buttons, 1 from Maryland and Relics

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gang, hope everyone is well. I have been busy swinging, just not taking the time to post.........Sorry. I've been back in the fields since Sept. found a couple new sites and couldn't find 2-3 other sites. The LCs are from a site I first hunted last winter, without finding a coin. This season in two trips I found 2 Lcs each time, yesterday and 5-6 days ago. The 1851 is really pretty sweet for a field find LC. Picked up a Flint, Indian knife/scraper as well.
The next site is a new permission and first time there, skunked on the coinage but the 3 Civil War Buttons made up for that!, throw in a suspender clip, clay marble and broken trade pipe stem (surface finds) with yesterday's LCs and Flint Knife it made for a great day, I was due. I have been pounding 2 worn out sites with very meager results over the last 2-3 weeks.
Then you hit a new site and wa-laaa a CW Button from Maryland shows up under your coil here in South West Ohio, we just never know do we? I included a picture after a water rinse, and after an olive oil soak and 1 1/2 hours picking with toothpicks.
Can anyone help with ID on the "Flat" Eagle button bottom left? My friend believes manufactured between 1854-1872. I can't make out the back stamp it's brittle and cracked, afraid to pick it.

PS: Last year on Dec 13th I had found 13 LCs in 4 years of door knocks and parks exclusively, with ZERO coming from the parks. On Dec. 14th 2014 I found and hunted my first Field Site, I have found 30 LCs since. One UNREAL site has produced 22 LCs, I have 20 and my friend and his wife each found one. Although most are field grade corroded, I do have 4-5 decent ones and still get just as big of a thrill as the first one I found!

Attachments

• photo (47).JPG
    photo (47).JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 87
  • photo (79).JPG
    photo (79).JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 78
  • photo (80).JPG
    photo (80).JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 99
  • photo (78).JPG
    photo (78).JPG
    61 KB · Views: 86
  • photo (77).JPG
    photo (77).JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 82
  • photo (76).JPG
    photo (76).JPG
    72 KB · Views: 78
  • photo (67).JPG
    photo (67).JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 84
  • photo (48).JPG
    photo (48).JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 90
  • photo (68).JPG
    photo (68).JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 98
  • photo (69).JPG
    photo (69).JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 14

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, love the buttons! I've yet to find a LC so I love looking at them. Nice hunts:thumbup:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Woweee! That's a hunt my man! One for the books, and the cold winter!

Congrats

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Really like that Maryland button..never seen one before....Congrats on the coppers as well.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, that Maryland has GOT to be SO rare! Way ta go . . .

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great hunt! That Maryland officer's button is killer, and the detail on the 1851 is fantastic.

Reverse, close ups, size of the mystery eagle?

Mudslide

Sep 18, 2005
Brandon,VT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some exciting finds. Wow!! Great job!! I would say that the info your friend gave you abt that eagle button is probably right-on per the book i use- "Record of Am Uniform and Historical Buttons" by Alphaeus H. Albert

Attachments

• 1448854923061.jpg
    1448854923061.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt! That Maryland officer's button is killer, and the detail on the 1851 is fantastic.

Reverse, close ups, size of the mystery eagle?

The un-identified Eagle button is very fragile, brittle and cracked on the reverse. I see a couple of characters therefore I believe it is back stamped and not plain but I don't think there is any way to clean it enough to read it. I know that would help reveal the type and age but I'm stuck.

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some exciting finds. Wow!! Great job!! I would say that the info your friend gave you abt that eagle button is probably right-on per the book i use- "Record of Am Uniform and Historical Buttons" by Alphaeus H. Albert

Thanks Mudslide for the info. I have only found 12-14 CW era buttons and they have all been round in form, like the other two in my post. Although the Eagle button is in pretty rough shape it was made in a flat style, it's not crushed flat. I hope there will be CW era coinage there to find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread