Naval "Masters Button" and coppers

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First let me apologize for being absent for awhile. 2015 has been a very busy one for me so I haven't had allot of time for the pleasures of life like diving and metal detecting. So today I forced myself to get out and get my butt in gear again. I hope I can put up some more posts with some awesome finds from above and below the waterline in the near future.

Rick and I headed back to one of our favorite sites, one that I had found a British Navel Captain's button from a few years ago and today I found a Masters button from the same era, 1805-1812 based on this web site; Hammond-Turner.com - Naval buttons.

After finding several coppers (which I haven't had time to clean up yet) we pushed on to a new field and were pleasantly surprised when Rick started to find broken glass, bricks and began to hear that lovely sound of an iron patch. This is an old site possible going back to the 1600's so I anticipate some sweet finds for this place.
Anyway it's nice to be back in action and will be posting again soon.
ZDD

20151129_145530.jpg 20151129_145414.jpg 20151129_183227.jpg

Upvote 9

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a Great day it was.
Be nice to see the copper, with just a dry rub.
Didn't mention the big "brick" of lead (straight up from the hoe) must be 2-3 pounds.
Very good Navy find, I'd like one of those.
Hope we can do it again this year, I'm addicted.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's great to see you back in the SWING of things again... Nice pile there and really like that Naval button! Looking forward to your future post from that site, hopefully not just in the Spring!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG NICE FINDS YOU HAVE THERE.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good one. I have also dug one, only one, but it sure is pretty. :)

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Hey ZDD
I see Rick's coppers from yesterday are turning out to be old and interesting, just wondering what your take was....anything good?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great button ZDD

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ZDD
I see Rick's coppers from yesterday are turning out to be old and interesting, just wondering what your take was....anything good?
Well I finally got the coins cleaned up and 4 had some fairly good detail left, the oldest was a 1773 half. Hopefully Rick and I can get out to that site again before the big freeze.

HH,
ZDD 20151203_212446.jpg 20151203_212121.jpg

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Geo III with a readable date is pretty darn good, far above average. Perfect era for good stuff.
Funny just like me in the field you though most were slicks, that sticky mud sure hides stuff. It's nice to be surprised, and get a pos. ID on a few of them. Cool, it really was a good hunt.

The other side of the 1816 Brock token does it have a ship, or the monument ?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Geo III with a readable date is pretty darn good, far above average. Perfect era for good stuff.
Funny just like me in the field you though most were slicks, that sticky mud sure hides stuff. It's nice to be surprised, and get a pos. ID on a few of them. Cool, it really was a good hunt.

I don't even bother trying to see what the coins are out of the mud. It's easy to make a guess at the period and that's good enough for me. Plus it's more fun to get home and be able to clean them one by one and hope for a great keeper.... which was definitely not the case for me as all 10.5 large coppers went on the pile.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It has the ship on it.
ZDD

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even bother trying to see what the coins are out of the mud. It's easy to make a guess at the period and that's good enough for me. Plus it's more fun to get home and be able to clean them one by one and hope for a great keeper.... which was definitely not the case for me as all 10.5 large coppers went on the pile.
I am aiming at filling a large, old cigar box with readable coppers.
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread