🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot take credit for finding this. Nepa-Will found this while searching for a property owner, he was with me when we knocked on this very door where a trespasser was murdered 5 yrs ago. I'm deleting town names and persons names.

Weapon seized in --------- hunter's killing investigation
Rifle was found after an investigator in ----------noticed an open window near man's body.

As police investigated the shooting death of a ----------hunter on a chilly, rainy first day of deer season, a game officer noticed an open window on the second floor of a nearby building.

There are a half-dozen other buildings on the wooded property in _________ Township, but this one is closest to where a hunting party found the body of _________ in ________Creek.

In the second-floor room, investigators say, they found an empty can of beer, a liquor bottle, food scraps and rifle casings.

The casings match the type of high-powered rifle that investigators believe killed _______and according to a search warrant inventory, _____ County detectives seized such a weapon from ________, the caretaker of the property near where ______ was found.

A deputy coroner recovered a projectile from inside _______clothing and said it is consistent with a .270-caliber rifle, the court record states. The rifle that detectives took from_______ is a .270-caliber Winchester.

_______, known to many in __________by the nickname _______ told investigators he sometimes used the rifle, equipped with a scope, to "observe" the property line for trespassers, according to the inventory filed with District Judge __________

The district attorney's office, which has not filed any charges in the homicide, says rifles are illegal for deer hunting in the county, which is restricted to shotguns.

County detectives and District Attorney __________could not be reached for comment Thursday on the search warrant inventory.

_________, who told police he lives on the property at __________ Road in _________where he works as caretaker, also could not be reached.

_______brother-in-law, _________, said the family knew the details listed in the court papers, but declined to comment further.

___________, the owner of the _________ Road property, found ________'s body around 12:40 p.m. Nov. 29 and called 911, investigators say.

________, was found a couple of hours after he bagged a nine-point buck on the first day of deer firearms season. _______orange safety vest had been removed and his trophy buck and shotgun lay nearby. He was shot once in the upper arm and the bullet entered his chest, authorities have said.

According to the search warrant inventory:

As detectives were investigating the killing, an officer with the Pennsylvania Game Commission noticed the open second-floor window.

The property has seven buildings, including a main residence, where ________lived, and a garage and barn.

______ offered to take investigators inside the building with the open window. He told them to be careful because the stairs were in poor condition and he pointed out exactly which ones were sturdy.

On the second floor, police found a .270-caliber casing on the sill of the open window and a second, similar casing on the floor. When a detective's flashlight shined on the casing, ______ remarked, "That is a .270."

On the wall was a paper target, and numerous .22-caliber casings were scattered on the floor. Police also found a beer can and a liquor bottle that ______ said held his "homemade wine." A chair was in front of the open window.

At first, ______told investigators a "friend" shoots from the window all the time. But ______later said he sits in the chair with the rifle to survey the property for trespassers.

The court record continues:

Detectives seized a .270-caliber rifle from behind the kitchen door after _______told them where the gun was. The rifle did not have a round in the chamber but was loaded with four bullets.

________also had a bucket filled with .270-caliber casings. He told investigators he had collected the casings while walking around the property. When asked if those casings would match his rifle, ______did not answer.

Other items seized from the property included numerous shell casings, a telescope and other weapons that _______ said belonged to _______. None of the other weapons was a .270-caliber rifle.

_______has said several people had been hunting on the property the day of ______'s killing and that they had cooperated with the investigation.

JUST BE CAREFUL OUT THERE GUYS, YA NEVER KNOW!

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
I don't know that this is more of a warning to permission seekers, as it is to trespassers. Regardless, there are people who are not quite normal everywhere, and unfortunately some of them manage to get firearms. Also FYI, a simple Google search of any of the more unique sentences will bring up the 2010 news story without the redaction, so you may want to remove the verbatim text if you're trying to keep a site or detecting location under wraps.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was this that one super old looking stone farmhouse you showed me when we went through there? Lol.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a very __________ story, thanks for _________ !!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know that this is more of a warning to permission seekers, as it is to trespassers. Regardless, there are people who are not quite normal everywhere, and unfortunately some of them manage to get firearms. Also FYI, a simple Google search of any of the more unique sentences will bring up the 2010 news story without the redaction, so you may want to remove the verbatim text if you're trying to keep a site or detecting location under wraps.
I am pretty sure from his reaction in the title and introductory paragraph, you could not drag him back there with a strong mule and rope:laughing7:

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
_____ ___ ____! Excuse my French

JD's Variety Channel

Dec 27, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Probe & Teknetics T2 Special
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've knocked on hundred's of doors in the last 2 years and have have had one "moderate" confrontation. Usually it's the husband that says yes, then the wife doesn't like you on the property and kicks you out or makes hubby give you the boot. This year, a very nice, polite lady gave me a yes. Then when the man got home. He walks up to me and says "what are you doing" And before I could barely start syaing "looking for old coins". He proceeded to tell me to get off his property, after a second I realized it wasn't a joke. So I said politely "No problem, I'll leave right away" Then he said "And don't come back another time asking again" And then I did proceed to kindly mentioned that I asked permission, just to try and calm him down (I wasn't trying to use that as a means to stay, as I was already walking toward my car and turned around for a moment) He said "That's not even an appropriate question to ask" in a very mean manner. So I said. "Don't worry, I won't come back" And he hollered "No you won't!" So I literally threw my gear in my car and sped off before he did anything nasty. As I was pulling out he started to come back toward me. I really think this guy would have done something.

I usually only like knocking safe (or fairly safe) urban neighborhoods by myself. I scout a lot before I knock to get an idea of the people around, and the area. Usually I only like to knock out in the boonies when with a friend. I find that many people in remote areas think the worst when someone knocks on the door and don't take kindly to it. And I don't like the fact that if something happened, no one would be around to know what went down. In urban areas, people are generally used to people walking by, knocking, etc...And even if they are mean they just tell you no and slam the door.

I've met so many awesome people I never want to stop knocking. I had a guy cook me breakfast early this year! I've been invited inside and talked for an hour or more sharing stories on multiple occasions. Etc.....

Most awkward time was when a guy/lady were going to let us detect. But the lady was drunk, and only wanted to let my buddy and I hunt if she could hunt too, and was very adamant that we couldn't hunt unless she got to hunt too. At the time my only spare machine in the car was my CTX. Why I let her use it, I'll never know. :dontknow:

I was nervous the whole time. LOL!

Last edited:
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can care less about the site for permission, I was trying to not say names I case anyone on this site was related to the victim

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was this that one super old looking stone farmhouse you showed me when we went through there? Lol.

No it was a totally different area

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure from his reaction in the title and introductory paragraph, you could not drag him back there with a strong mule and rope:laughing7:

I'm not a fear monger or anything, just giving a heads up, plus the awesome looming site was totally abandoned

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've knocked on hundred's of doors in the last 2 years and have have had one "moderate" confrontation. Usually it's the husband that says yes, then the wife doesn't like you on the property and kicks you out or makes hubby give you the boot. This year, a very nice, polite lady gave me a yes. Then when the man got home. He walks up to me and says "what are you doing" And before I could barely start syaing "looking for old coins". He proceeded to tell me to get off his property, after a second I realized it wasn't a joke. So I said politely "No problem, I'll leave right away" Then he said "And don't come back another time asking again" And then I did proceed to kindly mentioned that I asked permission, just to try and calm him down (I wasn't trying to use that as a means to stay, as I was already walking toward my car and turned around for a moment) He said "That's not even an appropriate question to ask" in a very mean manner. So I said. "Don't worry, I won't come back" And he hollered "No you won't!" So I literally threw my gear in my car and sped off before he did anything nasty. As I was pulling out he started to come back toward me. I really think this guy would have done something.

I usually only like knocking safe (or fairly safe) urban neighborhoods by myself. I scout a lot before I knock to get an idea of the people around, and the area. Usually I only like to knock out in the boonies when with a friend. I find that many people in remote areas think the worst when someone knocks on the door and don't take kindly to it. And I don't like the fact that if something happened, no one would be around to know what went down. In urban areas, people are generally used to people walking by, knocking, etc...And even if they are mean they just tell you no and slam the door.

I've met so many awesome people I never want to stop knocking. I had a guy cook me breakfast early this year! I've been invited inside and talked for an hour or more sharing stories on multiple occasions. Etc.....

Most awkward time was when a guy/lady were going to let us detect. But the lady was drunk, and only wanted to let my buddy and I hunt if she could hunt too, and was very adamant that we couldn't hunt unless she got to hunt too. At the time my only spare machine in the car was my CTX. Why I let her use it, I'll never know. :dontknow:

I was nervous the whole time. LOL!

I've knocked on a few hundred doors the past 2 yrs aND the worst I've ever gotten. Was a "no you can't and please get off my property" nothing at all happened when we attempted this place, but I was a bit taken back when I read this article thinking wow, what if this dude was still around when I knocked, man crazy stuff

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've knocked on a few hundred doors the past 2 yrs aND the worst I've ever gotten. Was a "no you can't and please get off my property" nothing at all happened when we attempted this place, but I was a bit taken back when I read this article thinking wow, what if this dude was still around when I knocked, man crazy stuff

As a newbie with this door knocking approach. It had me in a jaw dropping moment. I thought exactly the same thing. What if this guy were still around and we were the Hunter. I think for me. I will be doing a little more research at home and I will be pulling over and searching the net for the address before random door knocking. Better safe then sorry.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure why the redactions were considered important. Between me and google, we pretty much know everything. :)

Skippy

Congratulations, you want a medal?, I was just being courteous, if ya have an issue with that don't read it

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Cjon for taking the time and effort to alert us fellow metal detectorists out there of the possibilities of what we could potentially encounter. I for one do appreciate it. I will definitely be checking more closely as I approach a property from this point forward.

cladHatter

Oct 20, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Exactly right. :hello2:
I have a better idea--why don't we hang it up until the Spring!
Go buy some silver dimes on Ebay and spend some quality time with your wife, kids, grandkids, family etc. for the Holidays!
Just like Scrappy said--or--err said but went out detecting again. :dontknow:
The fat lady and Old Man Winter are here unless you live in Hawaii.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly right. :hello2:
I have a better idea--why don't we hang it up until the Spring!
Go buy some silver dimes on Ebay and spend some quality time with your wife, kids, grandkids, family etc. for the Holidays!
Just like Scrappy said--or--err said but went out detecting again. :dontknow:
The fat lady and Old Man Winter are here unless you live in Hawaii.

I don't even know how to reply to this, is it sarcasm? , are u insulting me for posting this?, lemme know what it is you're saying so I can reply

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions