🥇 BANNER Shakin up again on the old copper trail!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shakin' up again on the old copper trail!

Only this time it was a good shake up. :tongue3: Ironhorse and I could not let our previous hunt, the worst of the Fall be our last, so we were out on the old copper trail again today.

We hit several fields found a few sites along the way and I was having a grand old time popping coins (10.5 large coppers and an indian head) but a serious lack of buttons.... and a good early military button I had not dug before was the main thing on my list. Even though I was pretty content with our last site of the day giving me a two coppers and the ramrod pipe right away, it like the previous sites was very stingy on the buttons. After maybe an hour of digging, and not much more to show for my effort, I had an idea.... I figured since we were having one of those days where no matter where we walked we seemed to find a site, why not walk down by the water because if there's a site there, it would likely be older!

So I walk all the way down.... dig nothing. Walk across the front of the field along side the water and dig one piece of modern trash, and was thinking so much for that idea! I then start up the other side and get a low signal, dig it up and see it's aluminum, looked to be one of those round push tabs from a pop can. Throwing it in the trash side of my pouch was just a second or two away, but out of habit as I think we all do, I took a quick look at the back. When I did that I seen green corrosion. :icon_scratch: So I flipped it over again and brushed the dirt off and this time there was no mistaken what I had... A Rev War period 76th officer button with basically 100% of the silver plate intact. It was just one of those moments where you're blown away. Thought I had trash and then ends up being one of the best buttons I have ever found. I immediately called Ironhorse down and the sad part of the story is the only other thing to turn up was a small plain button. I guess today it was a whole lot better to be lucky than good!

Abe, you need my address?

Edit: Just figured out my poor condition pewter and it's a Rev War Loyalist 3rd American - New York Volunteers.

The coins are....

Large one is a French Decime (1790s)
3 Can. lg cents
3 Ships Colonies tokens
1815 Halfpenny token
King George II Halfpenny
Victoria NS thistle token
Indian head
And the broken one is a Kyan and Camac conder token. A few hunts ago I dug another broken half of one of these so there must be quite a few cast counterfeits that exist.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 808
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 760
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 618
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 684
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 697
  • 3rd.jpg
    3rd.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:
Upvote 70

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Just wow. That button is amazing. Heck. The whole lot is amazing, but the button is surely the winner.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only on Vino. It would probably look pretty cool on the rest of us. :laughing7: Abe, I think he'll be back to you anytime now. ;)

Little do you guys know ole Georgie already has a tramp stamp. So he may have to go with the ankle or wrist. He has a big Italian flag on his lower back. Looks really cool when he's detecting the Jersey shore with Snookie. I think the wrist with some roses around it. George has nice little dainty wrists

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speechless IP! That is the very reason we all love this GREAT HOBBY, saving history!! That button is in just STUNNING condition and one of the top BANNER finds I've seen and deservedly so. Big Congrats on the Rev. War period find and the BANNER!

Thanks! And thank you to everyone who has replied. In a way I feel like this is my first true banner find, or maybe true is not the right word but I don't know what is. Two are King's buttons finds which are great buttons, but the real excitement of them is back when I was finding the first ones and that's when it would have been very cool to be on the banner.... only I was not a member here. Then my other 'banner find' is a cob, but that came several years back when it was clearly easier to get up top and the same find would not have near as good of a chance today. So that's why this one is different but in a good way.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , you should get out on Christmas day if possible - cause when you're on a roll it's probably a good idea to keep it rolling !

Snow on the ground now but looking like by about Thursday we might be in business. I've been doing a little research to try and make one more count, so we'll see.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always find it amazing the amount of old coins you guys find on the east coast! :occasion14:

I'm happy to find just one pre-1900 coin, I consider that to be a successful hunt! :laughing7:

Nice save on the Revolutionary War button and congrats on making the BANNER too!

Dave

Availaibity of sites is the key, but you have to to make some effort to find them. Our posts are never from one place, it's usually two or more, so our skill in this hobby has very little in knowing how to use a detector like some think, it's that we are decent at brainstorming fresh ideas. I've sent Ironhorse and myself on more than one wild goose chase over the years, well probably dozens and dozens where a ton of driving and walking got us next to nothing, but I also have come up with some real winners for sites... and I mean we both know it just comes with the territory to succeed here. I think he said it best when in one post used a play on words, trial instead of trail, because it is almost always trial and error before the copper trail can happen.

Last edited:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go Patch! I can't believe all the great finds I'm seeing here today. I haven't been digging for so long now I probably wouldn't even know how to turn my detector on. I just recently got permission on an olllld site, waiting for deer season to end and hopefully be able to make a post to share.

HB

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
amazing button!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Availaibity of sites is the key, but you have to to make some effort to find them. Our posts are never from one place, it's usually two or more, so our skill in this hobby has very little in knowing how to use a detector like some think, it's that we are decent at brainstorming fresh ideas. I've sent Ironhorse and myself on more than one wild goose chase over the years, well probably dozens and dozens where a ton of driving and walking got us next to nothing, but I also have come up with some real winners for sites... and I mean we both know it just comes with the territory to succeed here. I think he said it best when in one post used a play on words, trial instead of trail, because it is almost always trial and error before the copper trail can happen.

I know what you mean, we don't use our detectors to the limits of their ability, we are just good at tracking down the best spots.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
What a SWEEET button !!! Good thing you did a double-take.

Rock on ...
Derek

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a killer button find. And the condition is amazing. Great find!

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man... Was the body still warm? That, is a miracle.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recovery!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread