🥇 BANNER Shakin up again on the old copper trail!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shakin' up again on the old copper trail!

Only this time it was a good shake up. :tongue3: Ironhorse and I could not let our previous hunt, the worst of the Fall be our last, so we were out on the old copper trail again today.

We hit several fields found a few sites along the way and I was having a grand old time popping coins (10.5 large coppers and an indian head) but a serious lack of buttons.... and a good early military button I had not dug before was the main thing on my list. Even though I was pretty content with our last site of the day giving me a two coppers and the ramrod pipe right away, it like the previous sites was very stingy on the buttons. After maybe an hour of digging, and not much more to show for my effort, I had an idea.... I figured since we were having one of those days where no matter where we walked we seemed to find a site, why not walk down by the water because if there's a site there, it would likely be older!

So I walk all the way down.... dig nothing. Walk across the front of the field along side the water and dig one piece of modern trash, and was thinking so much for that idea! I then start up the other side and get a low signal, dig it up and see it's aluminum, looked to be one of those round push tabs from a pop can. Throwing it in the trash side of my pouch was just a second or two away, but out of habit as I think we all do, I took a quick look at the back. When I did that I seen green corrosion. :icon_scratch: So I flipped it over again and brushed the dirt off and this time there was no mistaken what I had... A Rev War period 76th officer button with basically 100% of the silver plate intact. It was just one of those moments where you're blown away. Thought I had trash and then ends up being one of the best buttons I have ever found. I immediately called Ironhorse down and the sad part of the story is the only other thing to turn up was a small plain button. I guess today it was a whole lot better to be lucky than good!

Abe, you need my address?

Edit: Just figured out my poor condition pewter and it's a Rev War Loyalist 3rd American - New York Volunteers.

The coins are....

Large one is a French Decime (1790s)
3 Can. lg cents
3 Ships Colonies tokens
1815 Halfpenny token
King George II Halfpenny
Victoria NS thistle token
Indian head
And the broken one is a Kyan and Camac conder token. A few hunts ago I dug another broken half of one of these so there must be quite a few cast counterfeits that exist.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 808
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 760
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 618
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 684
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 697
  • 3rd.jpg
    3rd.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:
Upvote 70

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome !!! Congrads on a remarkable find :occasion14:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant imagine one being any nicer.it is beautifull!Congratulations on that Gem.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it really doesn't seem to make sense. I've lost track of how many times I stayed in the iron digging every tiny piece of metal just to try and get one more button in the hopes for a winner... and it would never come! Now today I go for a walk into what basically seemed like a dead zone but end up with this.

Haha...so you pulled a romeo!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Button IP! Definitely a BANNER find. My vote is going in. I guess that would have been likely lost by a veteran that settled up your way? I see that unit never served in Canada until 1814.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's the best looking pull tab I've ever seen!
A banner button!!!!
Awesome silver plating on that!

Can some one vote banner for me I haven't got it figured out on my darn ph yet.

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on an awesome find. The condition is amazing.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Msbeepdeep,

Look at the top right part of your post and there should be a red box stating vote for banner....just click on it and add your comments and send....as simple as that.

Regards + HH

Bill

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IP,

Me thinks Abe will have a hard time topping this find....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Only this time it was a good shake up. :tongue3: Ironhorse and I could not let our previous hunt, the worst of the Fall be our last, so we were out on the old copper trail again today.

We hit several fields found a few sites along the way and I was having a grand old time popping coins (10.5 large coppers and an indian head) but a serious lack of buttons.... and a good early military button I had not dug before was the main thing on my list. Even though I was pretty content with our last site of the day giving me a two coppers and the ramrod pipe right away, it like the previous sites was very stingy on the buttons. After maybe an hour of digging, and not much more to show for my effort, I had an idea.... I figured since we were having one of those days where no matter where we walked we seemed to find a site, why not walk down by the water because if there's a site there, it would likely be older!

So I walk all the way down.... dig nothing. Walk across the front of the field along side the water and dig one piece of modern trash, and was thinking so much for that idea! I then start up the other side and get a low signal, dig it up and see it's aluminum, looked to be one of those round push tabs from a pop can. Throwing it in the trash side of my pouch was just a second or two away, but out of habit as I think we all do, I took a quick look at the back. When I did that I seen green corrosion. :icon_scratch: So I flipped it over again and brushed the dirt off and this time there was no mistaken what I had... A Rev War period 76th officer button with basically 100% of the silver plate intact. It was just one of those moments where you're blown away. Thought I had trash and then ends up being one of the best buttons I have ever found. I immediately called Ironhorse down and the sad part of the story is the only other thing to turn up was a small plain button. I guess today it was a whole lot better to be lucky than good!

Abe, you need my address?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Button IP! Definitely a BANNER find. My vote is going in. I guess that would have been likely lost by a veteran that settled up your way? I see that unit never served in Canada until 1814.

Yeah just a settler. That was a different 76th from 1814 on.

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Stellar find! Never seen one with as much silver plating left as that! Banner voted

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha...so you pulled a romeo!!

Yeah it was more like Lucky Lee as Romeo tends to find the good stuff where there is at least some old junk.... Lucky Lee could pull them in no finds land!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Button I_P :thumbsup:

My votes in

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a nice one! Couldn't be much better looking!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda-sorta

More like a Lucky Lee, a digging buddy of ours; and his name says it all!
I remember Lucky Lee, he was the guy at the big dig ...short of running with the detector

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember Lucky Lee, he was the guy at the big dig ...short of running with the detector

That's what made it ever more the perplexing. And he didn't wear headphones either.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I cannot believe the condition of that button. I'm pretty tired tonight but I think I'll wake up tomorrow and vote BANNER! Yeah man!!!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep
He got his finds in record time and everyone around knew it,,,you could hear his detector squeal when he got over something good!

Were you able to ID that copper? I assume the button will be tougher.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread