🥇 BANNER Shakin up again on the old copper trail!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shakin' up again on the old copper trail!

Only this time it was a good shake up. :tongue3: Ironhorse and I could not let our previous hunt, the worst of the Fall be our last, so we were out on the old copper trail again today.

We hit several fields found a few sites along the way and I was having a grand old time popping coins (10.5 large coppers and an indian head) but a serious lack of buttons.... and a good early military button I had not dug before was the main thing on my list. Even though I was pretty content with our last site of the day giving me a two coppers and the ramrod pipe right away, it like the previous sites was very stingy on the buttons. After maybe an hour of digging, and not much more to show for my effort, I had an idea.... I figured since we were having one of those days where no matter where we walked we seemed to find a site, why not walk down by the water because if there's a site there, it would likely be older!

So I walk all the way down.... dig nothing. Walk across the front of the field along side the water and dig one piece of modern trash, and was thinking so much for that idea! I then start up the other side and get a low signal, dig it up and see it's aluminum, looked to be one of those round push tabs from a pop can. Throwing it in the trash side of my pouch was just a second or two away, but out of habit as I think we all do, I took a quick look at the back. When I did that I seen green corrosion. :icon_scratch: So I flipped it over again and brushed the dirt off and this time there was no mistaken what I had... A Rev War period 76th officer button with basically 100% of the silver plate intact. It was just one of those moments where you're blown away. Thought I had trash and then ends up being one of the best buttons I have ever found. I immediately called Ironhorse down and the sad part of the story is the only other thing to turn up was a small plain button. I guess today it was a whole lot better to be lucky than good!

Abe, you need my address?

Edit: Just figured out my poor condition pewter and it's a Rev War Loyalist 3rd American - New York Volunteers.

The coins are....

Large one is a French Decime (1790s)
3 Can. lg cents
3 Ships Colonies tokens
1815 Halfpenny token
King George II Halfpenny
Victoria NS thistle token
Indian head
And the broken one is a Kyan and Camac conder token. A few hunts ago I dug another broken half of one of these so there must be quite a few cast counterfeits that exist.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 808
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 760
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 618
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 684
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 697
  • 3rd.jpg
    3rd.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:
Upvote 70

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh man IP... I knew this would be amazing when I log in and see a 2 hour old post by you that's already 3 pages deep. That button is so incredible that I thought it was solid silver before I saw the back. Dug plating on a button doesn't get much better than that man. Well done... And 10.5 coppers... blows my mind. Voting that button up top now. :thumbsup:
-Brad

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a stunner. Really happy to see you find this ip, especially after all the help you give this community. Look forward to seeing it scrolling atop.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man IP... I knew this would be amazing when I log in and see a 2 hour old post by you that's already 3 pages deep. That button is so incredible that I thought it was solid silver before I saw the back. Dug plating on a button doesn't get much better than that man. Well done... And 10.5 coppers... blows my mind. Voting that button up top now. :thumbsup:
-Brad

I would have been happy just having readable condition but it certainly worked out better.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... Normally I am not a button guy...
but that one...

heh

Banner.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a beautiful button! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out it was a double Rev War button day. :headbang: I picked up my poor condition pewter button find from today about 5 times thinking there's something on there, I just am not looking at it right. So the last time I give up I set it down, look at it, and damn there it is, a 3... 3rd American - New York Volunteers. (pic added)

Last edited:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture perfect.
With 100% of it's silver remaining it's got the "wow" factor.
Congrats on getting what you wanted before the season ended, and hey until the ground freezes, anything is possible, looks like 2 more weeks at least.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out it was a double Rev War button day. :headbang: I picked up my poor condition pewter button find from today about 5 times thinking there's something on there, I just am not looking at it right. So the last time I give up I set it down, look at it, and damn there it is, a 3... 3rd American - New York Volunteers.

Sheesh man.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out it was a double Rev War button day. :headbang: I picked up my poor condition pewter button find from today about 5 times thinking there's something on there, I just am not looking at it right. So the last time I give up I set it down, look at it, and damn there it is, a 3... 3rd American - New York Volunteers.

Do I see a neck stock buckle in there?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture perfect.
With 100% of it's silver remaining it's got the "wow" factor.
Congrats on getting what you wanted before the season ended, and hey until the ground freezes, anything is possible, looks like 2 more weeks at least.

I would love one more shot... an early silver is last on my list. At least my list of the basics to find.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot believe the condition of that button. I'm pretty tired tonight but I think I'll wake up tomorrow and vote BANNER! Yeah man!!!
By tomorrow banner will be a moot point...lol

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Banner... would compliment the other silvered button up there very very nicely. ;) ;) ;) What do you think IP?

Last edited:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just gets better finding ouy later you had that 3rd

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner... would compliment the other silvered button up there very very nicely. ;) ;) ;) What do you think IP?

Looks like you put it over the top Isaac... or make that to the top. :)

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That didn't take long. WOW

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is one amazing button, IP. :hello2: Congrats on saving that beauty! Congrats on the Banner, too. :thumbsup:

10.5 coppers would make my day. :icon_thumleft:

HH

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just gets better finding ouy later you had that 3rd

Funny thing is the site did not have the age for it, or at least it's not something we would have expected. Back at the car it looked like it was a double digit regiment starting with two... but it just did not seem to have anything that resembled a 2nd number. Then I thought to start looking for the usual suspects, and even then I still could not see it. And like I said I set it down and then bang, seen the 3.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow... I was wondering why I didn't see a banner button when I tried to vote. It made banner in less than 3 hours!!! Insane! Huge congrats on a spectacular button... nicest revolutionary war button I've seen dug so far! Looks great up there! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread