πŸ₯‡ BANNER Shakin up again on the old copper trail!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shakin' up again on the old copper trail!

Only this time it was a good shake up. :tongue3: Ironhorse and I could not let our previous hunt, the worst of the Fall be our last, so we were out on the old copper trail again today.

We hit several fields found a few sites along the way and I was having a grand old time popping coins (10.5 large coppers and an indian head) but a serious lack of buttons.... and a good early military button I had not dug before was the main thing on my list. Even though I was pretty content with our last site of the day giving me a two coppers and the ramrod pipe right away, it like the previous sites was very stingy on the buttons. After maybe an hour of digging, and not much more to show for my effort, I had an idea.... I figured since we were having one of those days where no matter where we walked we seemed to find a site, why not walk down by the water because if there's a site there, it would likely be older!

So I walk all the way down.... dig nothing. Walk across the front of the field along side the water and dig one piece of modern trash, and was thinking so much for that idea! I then start up the other side and get a low signal, dig it up and see it's aluminum, looked to be one of those round push tabs from a pop can. Throwing it in the trash side of my pouch was just a second or two away, but out of habit as I think we all do, I took a quick look at the back. When I did that I seen green corrosion. :icon_scratch: So I flipped it over again and brushed the dirt off and this time there was no mistaken what I had... A Rev War period 76th officer button with basically 100% of the silver plate intact. It was just one of those moments where you're blown away. Thought I had trash and then ends up being one of the best buttons I have ever found. I immediately called Ironhorse down and the sad part of the story is the only other thing to turn up was a small plain button. I guess today it was a whole lot better to be lucky than good!

Abe, you need my address?

Edit: Just figured out my poor condition pewter and it's a Rev War Loyalist 3rd American - New York Volunteers.

The coins are....

Large one is a French Decime (1790s)
3 Can. lg cents
3 Ships Colonies tokens
1815 Halfpenny token
King George II Halfpenny
Victoria NS thistle token
Indian head
And the broken one is a Kyan and Camac conder token. A few hunts ago I dug another broken half of one of these so there must be quite a few cast counterfeits that exist.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 803
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 757
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 615
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 682
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 694
  • 3rd.jpg
    3rd.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 667
Last edited:
Upvote 70

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one heck of a button...one of best shaped ones I've ever seen...Banner ALL DAY LONG!!
congrats buddy, well deserved!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...that's a real beauty! I would have been happy after digging the ramrod pipe! Hope to see this one up top!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a fantastic find!! Can you believe the condition on that one?
Looks like I will have to vote Banner on that one..

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a fantastic find!! Can you believe the condition on that one?
Looks like I will have to vote Banner on that one..

Just soap and water too. That's how it came out.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Some just hold up better huh?

Some do, but you know how it is, it's always a plain button or a civilian design like a flower that is loaded with gilt or all the plating. It's pretty lucky when it happens on something good, especially out of our fields which can be hard on buttons and coins. Crazier than that is it just happen to get in my way as I did my little walk.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely killer IP!! I think John Harris found the exact same button down this way (near Yorktown) a year or so ago. Gorgeous man!!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know nothing about early military buttons but that is without a doubt my favorite I've seen so far. Well done

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely killer IP!! I think John Harris found the exact same button down this way (near Yorktown) a year or so ago. Gorgeous man!!

Yes, there has been a couple others in the last year or two posted here.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IP,

That one deserves to be up top....banner vote on it's way.

Regards + HH

Bill

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Well now,that sucker is nice!!!

Like I said earlier, I knew it was something good when I saw your smile from way up on the hill!
And the dozen coins you found, that's a feat as well. It sure was great to be digging today and I hope there's another one left for us, just enough time to turn the copper trail to a silvery colour for you one last time!
From my perspective, your button is as nice or nicer than the previous 76's that have made to banner!
Congratulations on a super find!

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats one heck of a find. Congrats. None of that kind of stuff around here that I know of, unfortunately.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congratulations on finding such a beauty.... very cool.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now,that sucker is nice!!!

Like I said earlier, I knew it was something good when I saw your smile from way up on the hill!
And the dozen coins you found, that's a feat as well. It sure was great to be digging today and I hope there's another one left for us, just enough time to turn the copper trail to a silvery colour for you one last time!
From my perspective, your button is as nice or nicer than the previous 76's that have made to banner!
Congratulations on a super find!

Sometimes it really doesn't seem to make sense. I've lost track of how many times I stayed in the iron digging every tiny piece of metal just to try and get one more button in the hopes for a winner... and it would never come! Now today I go for a walk into what basically seemed like a dead zone but end up with this.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a day. That's a beautiful old button in excellent condition.
Incredible pile of coppers too.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Man that is incredible...I love that button...the condition is beautiful...Banner for sure! Congrats...that will look great in your collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions