Brown Bess Bayonet, Musket forend cap, and more...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out on Saturday (12/5) to do some digging and the iron stole the show. It was 25 degrees out when I started at sunrise with everything covered in frost. I dug two pieces of iron and on the third iron signal I listened to it for a bit, then kept going and decided to save that signal for some other time. I walked 5 steps and thought to myself 'its cold out here and I need to dig this iron to stay warm', so I turned back around, relocated it and dug the plug. When I popped the plug out, this bayonet was just laying on its side directly in the center. I couldn't believe what I was seeing... I wish I took an insitu picture, but I snatched it right up I was so excited. I fired off a "you got to be kidding me, another bayonet" text to a couple people! Its great to start a hunt like this because everything else you find is just icing on the cake.

IMG_20151205_073822220_edited.jpg

Since I had found that Springfield War of 1812 bayonet 2 months ago, I have recently looked at 100's of pictures of bayonets. Because the end of the socket had a complete raised lip on it, and it was to a very large caliber barrel, I immediately thought "Brown Bess" as soon as I saw it in the dirt. I emailed a bayonet expert, the creator of and webmaster of worldbayonets.com, for a second opinion. I'm still waiting to hear back and will update this post with the results when I do, but I am fairly sure about what it is.

Bayonet Experts email:

"I am still digging out from my backlogged email. I think that you have it nailed. It's a Brown Bess socket bayonet. By the look of it, Revolutionary War Period. Hard to say for sure, but it looks regulation vs. a one-off copy, so probably British manufacture."

IMG_20151205_162937070.jpg

Unfortunately this bayonet was not in as good of condition as the War of 1812 (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/478114-complete-colonial-shoe-buckle-springfield-1810-bayonet-1819-lc-more.html) one I dug. It was in wet soil and was heavily pitted so no stamps or marks we left on it. I did electrolysis on it and monitored it closely so I could remove it as quickly as possible. Then it got a hot wax boil to complete the preservation. It appears to be cut short and re-tapered... definitely modified... maybe for digging or something.

IMG_20151206_104407416.jpg
IMG_20151206_120711620.jpg IMG_20151206_161454662.jpg

A few feet from the bayonet I got a brass musket forend cap with wood still in it. I originally thought the barrel groove was of a smaller caliber, but once I got my calipers on it I realized that it was nearly 0.8". Meaning it could have been to a 69 caliber smooth bore musket and still had enough barrel clearance. Additionally, it could be to a 58 caliber rifled Enfield with a thicker barrel.

IMG_20151206_162639239.jpg

*If anyone out there has found a Enfield forend cap, I'd be interested if you could comment on the dimensions of the barrel groove in the cap. (Isaac... this means you! haha)

IMG_20151206_162932993.jpg IMG_20151206_163043987.jpg IMG_20151206_163140825.jpg

I also found what I think is a brass part to a wooden ramrod, but have not had any luck finding a picture of a matching one online. It still has the wood in it and appears to be crushed onto itself.

IMG_20151206_161541612.jpg IMG_20151206_161558583.jpg

Here's the rest of the haul from Saturday.

IMG_20151206_164207082.jpg

IMG_20151206_164215086.jpg IMG_20151206_164219136.jpg IMG_20151206_164222799.jpg

I've found dozens of teeth in my plugs here. Mostly from the trash pits, but these two are huge!
IMG_20151206_164227398.jpg IMG_20151206_164235933.jpg

IMG_20151206_161613433.jpg IMG_20151206_161629083.jpg

Anyone know what this round reed thing is? Much like a harmonica reed, but obviously round, with two reeds and the size of a quarter. Wondering what sort of instrument this went to.

IMG_20151205_171449912.jpg

And the iron for the day. After the third target was a bayonet, I just kept digging it.

IMG_20151205_161958029.jpg

Nothing too great showed up, but on the left I seperated out some of the pieces I will zap this winter. Some nice colonial hinge pieces and a cool large forged nail and half a horse bit.

IMG_20151205_162830620.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting everyone!

Last edited:
Upvote 21

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coins?--- you don't need no stinkin' coins!! you dug treasure. stunning saves!!. go back and dig 'til ya cants dig no more

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I respect you and your passion for history man. I'm going to pull the Banner Hammer on the bayonet. WOWZA, CONGRATS!!! HH

EDIT: Damn, I should've asked for the CALIPER for Christmas. Haha. I know an Enfield Rifle is a .577 caliber rifle though.

When I get home I'll measure it with a ruler or something of that nature so you can compute that into caliper format.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I respect you and your passion for history man. I'm going to pull the Banner Hammer on the bayonet. WOWZA, CONGRATS!!! HH

EDIT: Damn, I should've asked for the CALIPER for Christmas. Haha. I know an Enfield Rifle is a .577 caliber rifle though.

Thanks a ton Isaac! I was hoping you'd show up on here. ha

If you can, could you just measure the inside diameter of the barrel groove on your forend cap with a tape measure. That should be close enough. Yeah, the inside barrel diameter should be about .58, but I don't know what the outside barrel diameter would be... if your forend cap is roughly the same as mine, then mines is probably from a Enfield as well.

Humm... I just went back and looked at yours and yours actually looks much bigger than mine and has a single rivet hole in it. Mine has 2. In your pictures, compared to those 3-ringers, it looks like maybe yours was off a larger caliber musket than mine.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think yours is pre-civil war just from the way it looks... and the finds you've made previously from this site. Just my opinion. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on another bayonet! And yes, that is part of a keg tap-the end the was pushed into the hole in the barrel.

Thank you DownNDirty! It was a big surprise to see that thing in the hole. Excited about the tap part too. Hopefully I can find the rest.

coins?--- you don't need no stinkin' coins!! you dug treasure. stunning saves!!. go back and dig 'til ya cants dig no more

haha Thanks Port Ewen! I love starting a hunt out with a great find like that... no coins were necessary that day.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think yours is pre-civil war just from the way it looks... and the finds you've made previously from this site. Just my opinion. :thumbsup:

Thanks man. It wasn't far from the patchbox plate and the trigger guard. It was feet from the bayonet, but I don't think those two are related because of the socket diameter of the bayonet being to a much larger caliber. Seeing that I still had some wood in the forend cap, gave me hope that a whole rifle might have been broken up in the ground there. Hopefully I can figure out enough to at least know what caliber musket or rifle it went to.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL A GROUP OF FINDS . THAT SPUN BUTTON IS SWEET TOOO .

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
That is a really nice bayonet...love the tombac and other relics too...Congrats

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta love digging bayonets!

Thanks Patriot! They are fun to dig. Now I just need an Enfield bayonet to complete the collection. ha

incredible find!!
congrats!!!

Thanks Cletus!

NOW THATS WHAT I CALL A GROUP OF FINDS . THAT SPUN BUTTON IS SWEET TOOO .

Thanks Sutphin!

That is a really nice bayonet...love the tombac and other relics too...Congrats

Thanks Brian! Thought that tombac was a reale for a split second before I took it from the dirt. Wouldn't be the first time one of those buttons fooled me.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a response from the bayonet expert early this morning.

"Hi Brad,
I am still digging out from my backlogged email. I think that you have it nailed. It's a Brown Bess socket bayonet. By the look of it, Revolutionary War Period. Hard to say for sure, but it looks regulation vs. a one-off copy, so probably British manufacture.
"

Sorry for the delay guys, but it sounds like he was busy and just trying to catch up. I bet this bayonet has quite a story behind it.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a response from the bayonet expert early this morning.

"Hi Brad,
I am still digging out from my backlogged email. I think that you have it nailed. It's a Brown Bess socket bayonet. By the look of it, Revolutionary War Period. Hard to say for sure, but it looks regulation vs. a one-off copy, so probably British manufacture.
"

Sorry for the delay guys, but it sounds like he was busy and just trying to catch up. I bet this bayonet has quite a story behind it.

That's great news Brad! Another verified historical artifact just added to your growing collection. WTG!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great find Brad and now with the confirmed ID it really dates the piece. Congrats on the recovery.

Liking the picture of the iron and how much you've stated that has been dug at the site. The reason of liking it is that it shows the dedication and hard work it takes to recover a relic/keeper from an iron laden site. So many take up this hobby thinking it's a cake walk, turn on the machine walk out in a field or where ever and dig up the treasure. I wish it was the way and sometimes the newbie will just do that but in reality it's what you're doing going out in all conditions getting down and dirty digging out the crap in hopes that one item will make the days hunt a good day, and sometimes they are far and in between.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great find Brad and now with the confirmed ID it really dates the piece. Congrats on the recovery.

Liking the picture of the iron and how much you've stated that has been dug at the site. The reason of liking it is that it shows the dedication and hard work it takes to recover a relic/keeper from an iron laden site. So many take up this hobby thinking it's a cake walk, turn on the machine walk out in a field or where ever and dig up the treasure. I wish it was the way and sometimes the newbie will just do that but in reality it's what you're doing going out in all conditions getting down and dirty digging out the crap in hopes that one item will make the days hunt a good day, and sometimes they are far and in between.

Thank you pepperj! Well said. Those good items in-between pulling out the junk, are what fuels me to get that next good find. I can now say there is a good probability this was a rev war bayonet, which means I have dug Rev War, War of 1812 and Civil War at this site. I'll continue to dig the iron here with the hopes of 1) unmasking something good and 2) finding an Enfield Bayonet and getting the first "Bayonet Trifecta" from a single site that I know of. haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread