Our first treasure finds. Please dont laugh to loud.

DennisNJ

Nov 13, 2014
Atco, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
White Coinmaster 5000d Series 2 (Vintage)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our first treasure finds. Please don't laugh to loud.

Well, here we go on our first treasure hunt. Of course the dinging was a thrill. and what did we find:

Bobs1stTreasure.jpg .. MillerCan.jpg .. PepsiCan.jpg .. bushbeercan.jpg

A window sash weight and crushed: Miller, Pepsi and Bush cans.

No one said this is work! :occasion14: :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• bushbeercan.jpg
    bushbeercan.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Upvote 18

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hang in there Dennis..the good stuff cometh.:laughing7:

Just gotta learn its language.

GOD Bless

Chris

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I still dig the occasional beer can. It happens. Soon you will be able to recognize that it's a can and decide if you want to dig it or not. Also, you are sure to start finding coins, jewelry and other goodies soon! Keep at it!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the addiction! Watch out for that very first coin/jewelry/relic! Because after you find that, there is NO going back!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dennis,

As others have said keep at it....I've been doing this for over 20 years and about 50% of what I dig is junk....it comes with the territory.

Mind you the keepers you'll eventually find will more than make up for it.

Regards + HH

Bill

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep at it Dennis. It won't take long to figure out that the really loud signals are surface trash. Go slow and listen for smaller, deeper signals and you'll start coming up with the goodies. We all start out digging trash and the most experienced of us still dig some trash knowing that sometimes it's masking a good coin.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dig clean hits that don't growl to iron, if you get a strong hit, raise the coil about 6 " and if it still hits strong--keep walkin'. quick way to tell if an 80-82 hit is a dime or copper penny is how small the footprint is. dime walks off fast and penny will drop off slower. I do the "wiggle" pinpoint method-- when hit ends as you wiggle coil towards you the target is directly below the front tip of the coil. the ATPro can be mastered fast-- run in Pro Zero at 2 bars down. short slow swings and hover all hits to eliminate anything under 46 unless you like tin foil and iron. know the site-- a 61 can be a pulltab AND a roundball. 67 can be a bottle cap AND an IH. practice, dig, learn, repeat_______

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dennis - Don hit it on the head. I still dig quite a bit of trash as I'm not that seasoned yet. But, with my limited experience, I have also found that things that are blasting signals are either surface trash or something that was just dropped and it on top of the ground. I've been advised to dig almost everything and I do unless I am really stretched for time and don't anticipate the ability to get back to it. Keep hunting...Brad

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... hover all hits to eliminate anything under 46 unless you like tin foil and iron.....

I like and understand all your tips. I've learned them the hard way. :) But, I'm uncertain about this one. Just not sure what you're meaning. Sounds similar to my technique for foil as well, just curious.

OP
OP
DennisNJ

DennisNJ

Nov 13, 2014
Atco, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
White Coinmaster 5000d Series 2 (Vintage)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro was bang 97-99 percent, like a silver jackpot, and yes the cans were near the surface. Learning is fun.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check the hole after digging a can, because I find stuff under them. Oh and I would also check inside the can in case they put money in it. Not bad for a learning experience and let the addiction begin.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aluminum has a value. Maybe you can save enough to recycle. The only metals I save are copper, brass, and lead. Sometimes you have to dig the trash in order to uncover the goodies that were being masked by the trash. The more you swing the coil, the better you will get. Just remember, if you want to pull gold, you will have to dig the solid mid tones.

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the Trifecta of beverage cans!! Lol. But seriously, you can't find if you don't look. Every single member on here has dug countless amounts of the same trash. But hang in there, and learn the machine. Research is key too. Stay the course, because this hobby can really deliver on magical moments. And when you have that first one, you're hooked for life. Cheers.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dennis you will learn something with every signal you dig. Every time will teach you about depth, target size, and composition. Don't get discouraged and remember the big banging loud signals close to the surface are usually not keepers. It's the smaller nice tight signals that are down a bit that will put the goods in your pouch....that said you just need to put yourself on the right sites and dig them all. Good luck buddy

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here I call the window weights Fishing weights or Anchors :tongue3:
all of them I found were in a Lake Bottom .

as for the cans, Look at the Bright sides.

You won't dig those 3 again & Aluminum is up 0.0034 cent a pound :thumbsup:

Un.jpg

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Good start!

One time I was digging can signals pulling 16oz cans. Dug another can signal and pulled an 8-reale. Needless to say I dig can can signals.

Keep it up!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good start!

One time I was digging can signals pulling 16oz cans. Dug another can signal and pulled an 8-reale. Needless to say I dig can can signals.

Keep it up!

Yep ! Last year I got a Walking Half thinking I was digging a Can.
I've also found coins under Crushed cans.
because of their size they can Hide allot.
even coins and things 8" to the side of them.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel your pain. I have been at this going on my 3rd season. I was finding a lot of trash when I first started. I also found a lot of shallow clad. I primarily hunt parks in my town. When I first started I would get frustrated by the trashy park. I wanted to throw my detector. But the people here encouraged me and told me that I needed to learn to walk before I could run. That I should use my detector and listen to what it is telling me. I also should stay away from trashy areas until I was comfortable. Use discrimination at first until I learned what the target ID was for each target. Then to distinguish deep targets from shallow. Learn what my settings do to improve performance. Learn how to dig a proper plug. And to take in all the information and videos of people using my same machine. It has paid off for me, and I know it will for you too, with patience and practice. My only regret is that I did not start this hobby earlier. I am hooked for life.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice is to go to a school on a Sunday. Any school, does not have to be old. You will surely find a lot of clad coins. Once you know the sounds and numbers, you are on your way. A good signal is unmistakable. I would just leave it on the factory setting and hunt in pro coin and jewelry. It takes many hours to learn your machine. You will find pull tabs and cans. We all do. I do have to say that some of my best finds have been lousy signals. Just had to dig to see what they were. Good luck, you will love it. AND, hunt your yard!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread