Last edited:
Upvote 9

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good to me!!! It is an old one for sure. We had found one similar at a camp site out our way many years ago. Sad thing is we didn't know what it was and threw it back into some sagebrush! :BangHead: Now knowing what it was and it's age' we can't find it! Someone should be able to give ya a date. I'm thinking late 1800's, but that's just a guess.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Looks good to me!!! It is an old one for sure. We had found one similar at a camp site out our way many years ago. Sad thing is we didn't know what it was and threw it back into some sagebrush! :BangHead: Now knowing what it was and it's age' we can't find it! Someone should be able to give ya a date. I'm thinking late 1800's, but that's just a guess.

Thanks so much for looking and the information!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG THING LOOKS BRAND NEW , WELL PRESERVED .

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
DANG THING LOOKS BRAND NEW , WELL PRESERVED .
Yes--it was buried down in some woods soil-no fertilizer to eat away at it! Whenever this heavy rain stops, I'm going back and try and find the other one. Thanks!

CreakyKnees

Dec 22, 2015
Alexandria, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a design that was in use in various forms from the American revolution through the Civil War. Is there any detail to the roundrels on either side? I've seen a lot that have eagles or military seals in high relief cast onto them. I don't know your location (state), but if you found this in an area where you've dug CW artifacts, it's possible that it could be an inexpensive (brass) CSA stirrup of quasi-military design. Also, are there any seams that might make it look like it was cast? Either way, awesome find!

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
It looks like a design that was in use in various forms from the American revolution through the Civil War. Is there any detail to the roundrels on either side? I've seen a lot that have eagles or military seals in high relief cast onto them. I don't know your location (state), but if you found this in an area where you've dug CW artifacts, it's possible that it could be an inexpensive (brass) CSA stirrup of quasi-military design. Also, are there any seams that might make it look like it was cast? Either way, awesome find!

Thanks so much for this very useful information! I can find no seams at all. In fact, each side looks a little different from the other like they were hand finished. The medallions and parts just below them are almost sharp on the edges. I, too, thought Militia Officer's stirrup when I first dug it--wondered if it ever had rosettes attached where these medallion shapes are. Thanks for the info.!
P.S. Location is central Virginia. Other items found near this stirrup--North Carolina seal with plain back and star in channel, several Robinson V.M.I. buttons, a Confederate wreath, a Georgia button, etc.

S

stefen

Yes--it was buried down in some woods soil-no fertilizer to eat away at it! Whenever this heavy rain stops, I'm going back and try and find the other one. Thanks!

Certainly not US army issue used on MacClelland saddles....

Looks to be Hession or Polish made...

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That baby is sweet, nice find.

CreakyKnees

Dec 22, 2015
Alexandria, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have an awesome find there. I've been researching period stirrups in North America, and there are a couple of similar items for sale on eBay and antiques for sale sites (yeah, I'm a research geek). I'm just guessing when I wonder if it was cast (sand cast and then likely filed and polished), but if it was cast, it's possible that due to the quality (even after 100+ years in the ground) it would very likely have been an officer's stirrup. Unless it was made or sold to a person of means other that an officer. I dug up a couple of example pictures to post for you to look at. Apparently, it was common to put a leather plug on the gap on the tread area where the bottom of the foot goes. Even in the very beginning of the industrial age (late 1700s to late 1800s in my humble opinion), handmade metal furnishings such your stirrup account for the variations of equipment used in the Civil War. Officers generally were required to purchase their own equipment and uniforms, and had leeway to purchase whatever they saw fit. I can see that there would be variations of equipment issued to Confederate enlisted cavalry as the Confederacy was a grassroots ad-hoc government. Anyway, enough of my windbaggery.

dragoon-stirrup.jpg 0.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
FANTASTIC information, Creaky Knees! Thanks so much for all your research anf help!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread