Gut feeling pays off again taking me back to the 1700s!!!

Bigmike2334

Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woke up rather early due to my alarm going off on my day off and something was telling me I need to get back to the old 1700s meeting house, my last time here brought me a whole tribe of Indians and my oldest rarest coin in my 2years detecting a KG I 1722 rosa Americana half penny, the warm temps and soaking rain brought a whisper out of the depths I just had to dig, with a handful of ancient clay comes out a large copper coin, I lightly brushed it off and I couldn't believe it!! Another 1700s coin dropped by a Quaker just a short time after being built. I'm almost positive from my research it's a 1736 KG II Farthing!! So happy Christmas came early!!!:hello2:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 22

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with IP....a farthing is only about the same size as a modern cent.

Regards + HH

Bill

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with IP and Bill. Because they know what they are doing and I do not!

Congrats on a really nice OLD find. Best of luck to you, and Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
B

Bigmike2334

Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I wasn't sure, did the best I could researching it, thanks a bunch for the updated info, learn something new everyday! Glad I could share such an old recovery and bucket list find with everyone. HH!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice detail it should clean up real good..Didn't you say something along the lines of taking me there:thumbsup:

~Blaze~

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find, good work.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the Half Penny it's got lots of detail. Your lucky to get a coin from an early Quaker's homestead as they were dirt poor up here they just didn't drop anything.

OP
OP
B

Bigmike2334

Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Johnny, I think I'm gonna leave the coin alone at this point, I cleaned it up best I could with a soft toothbrush and soft soap. Not sure how to clean anything more without ruining the coin. Pepper I've been hitting this site for a while I've already pulled a 1722 rosa Americana coin from here about 10" deep at the clay layer. I'm thinking I need a deeper machines lol.

Rob.IV

Jan 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Johnny, I think I'm gonna leave the coin alone at this point, I cleaned it up best I could with a soft toothbrush and soft soap. Not sure how to clean anything more without ruining the coin. Pepper I've been hitting this site for a while I've already pulled a 1722 rosa Americana coin from here about 10" deep at the clay layer. I'm thinking I need a deeper machines lol.

Hey Big Mike, awesome finds and congratulations on all of them!!!

A friend of mine uses a rock tumbler to clean his coins up as long as they are Silver or real copper. Two different techniques he uses are;
1) Fish aquarium pebbles.
2) Lots of pecan shells for older fragile coins

GL and HH
Rob IV

Rob.IV

Jan 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NuggetNoggin on YouTube also uses a rock tumbler with Fish aquarium pebbles. check out his vid on that if you haven't already, an see how his coins come out. For the pecan shell method, use the same technique for the ingredients, just use pecan shells instead of pebbles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread