🥇 BANNER Spanish gold

jefg231

Jan 20, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
2015 was a good year. For life and for treasures. While many hunger and thirst, we have the luxury to hunt down treasures.
I am lucky enough to have great digging buddies. How fun would it be to treasure hunt alone?
I started the year (Jan 6) with a 1848 Mechanic and ended it today with a 1744 Spanish cobb.
Life is good.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    729.2 KB · Views: 1,039
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    561.1 KB · Views: 1,018
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    541.5 KB · Views: 985
Upvote 106

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the exception of digging a coin that is historically significant, extremely rare and very valuable, I personally don't see digging a coin getting any better. For looks alone it does get no better! Definitely one of the best coins ever posted.

I would have to agree.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have a heavy duty 18-22k bezel custom made and fitted...
Put it on a unique strong 18-22k chain...
And...
Sport that bad boy.

That's one cool coin... In many ways.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Coin !

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the Banner also, you sure were lucky to get it up there it seems.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Spanish gold is just too flippin' cool!! Congratulations!

Steve

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Made it to banner with a couple hours to spare before the full day mark! Looks stunning up there. Thanks for sharing it all.

OP
OP
jefg231

jefg231

Jan 20, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks again for the kind words and the banner. As you all know, we cover a lot of ground in search of "gold". Usually we find no gold. Usually always we find good times and make great memories. For real. Therefore I will be donating my ...just kidding.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on banner for that amazing find of a lifetime. Wow, just wow.

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
I was one of the lucky friends who got to see thisunbelievable treasure unearthed. I doubtthat find will ever be beaten in our small group He will bepetting that coin for some time but will have to come to teams and leave it athis house and deal with the separation anxiety.

The moment that coin was found I was shocked. Thenthought it was fake because a couple years ago these clowns planted a chocolatecoin wrapped in gold foil. Why not me,Why not me? I then turned my detector on hoping it was a coin spill and wewould all get one. I felt guilty for only a moment, then depressed it wasn't my find for a good5 minutes, and then I came to terms and was happy to just be there for this digger’sgreat moment. Seven stages of griefwhile metal detecting.

We are all happy for him our we all are lucky because we canhold that coin in our hand when we visit. What a great hobby.

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unreal! Congrats on the banner!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your gold coin find and on making the BANNER! :wav:

Dave

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, HOLY Spanish Escudos Batman !!!
Incredible find...Congrats.
8 Escudo, Mint is Lima, Jose de Vargas y Flor was assayer. 1744 date. Maybe just shy of 27 grams?
Tremendous !!!
Have you weighed it yet? May I ask the weight?
That is a very valuable piece of history you have...a very wealthy individual once owed that piece.
Gosh that ones a beauty...
Again, great find great story, go back and find a few more.

Trez

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was one of the lucky friends who got to see thisunbelievable treasure unearthed. I doubtthat find will ever be beaten in our small group He will bepetting that coin for some time but will have to come to teams and leave it athis house and deal with the separation anxiety.

The moment that coin was found I was shocked. Thenthought it was fake because a couple years ago these clowns planted a chocolatecoin wrapped in gold foil. Why not me,Why not me? I then turned my detector on hoping it was a coin spill and wewould all get one. I felt guilty for only a moment, then depressed it wasn't my find for a good5 minutes, and then I came to terms and was happy to just be there for this digger’sgreat moment. Seven stages of griefwhile metal detecting.

We are all happy for him our we all are lucky because we canhold that coin in our hand when we visit. What a great hobby.

It's so easy to read that and understand all the emotions involved. I'd need more than 5 minutes though, probably like a week :)

We all get our turn eventually, but damn did he make the most of that one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread