A Cornucopia of Finds – Flying Eagles, Key Date Indians, Large Copper and more!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
10417510_10153857345014878_1059236235366555133_n.jpg IMG_20160103_110121 - Copy.jpg
I haven't posted much recently because I don’t have the chance to get out detecting nearly as much as I once did! But I finally got an opportunity to detect a site that I’ve known about for around 10 years. It’s a site, with about two acres of farmland and some surrounding woods. I didn’t know anything about the history of the site, but I had a hunch it was a good one. The previous owner had the land for sale but wouldn’t grant permission to detect it when I asked some years back, because “his insurance company wouldn’t allow it”. I offered to sign a “hold harmless” waiver of liability, but he still declined. I closed the door on that deal when I told him that he was poor old sod for letting his insurance company control who he allows on his property.

Fast forward to November, 2015. I was driving past the property when I noticed that the “for sale” sign was no longer there. With a little time and research, I finally got the go ahead I was looking for!
It’s a small field, only around 2 acres, and not as old as I would have liked, but on my first “reconnaissance” outing of about an hour I dug these four mid-19[SUP]th[/SUP] century buttons all well preserved. I knew right then that I needed to spend more time here and made sure I had plenty put aside for the next weekend.
IMG_20151122_182049-2 - Copy.jpg
I arrived around 8 AM on day 1. The temps were unseasonably mild and I was in short sleeves. My first good target came in less than an hour in, an 1874 Indian Head Cent. I was off to the races! After a few minutes of working the area, the targets started coming quickly; a beautiful copper broach, followed by a large, ornate button, a cut copper, a thimble and an awesome padlock. I hit pay dirt! I then decided to wander the field for a bit. There were few targets. Mostly just junk and a Mercury dime so I made my way back to the small area that had been producing the good finds. As I neared the area I got a jumpy signal on the T2. It could have easily been a piece of can slaw, but to my surprise I got Spanish silver, my first in over a year! It’s holed and smooth with virtually no detail, but I’m able to make out enough of the top right lion’s foot to get a positive ID on it being a half reale. Less than 15 minutes later I got another “junk” signal that turned out to be another keeper for sure, a very nice 1863 “fatty”. After that I dug two more crusty Indians and had to call it a day, but there was no question that I needed to return asap!
IMG_20151128_091252 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20151128_093647 (1) - Copy.jpg
IMG_20151128_101650 (1) - Copy.jpg
IMG_20151128_112356 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20151128_131051 - Copy.jpg
It was a full week of restless sleep before I was able to make it back to the site, but it felt like a month. This time it was a cold morning with a strong wind from the west, making it feel even colder. I started swinging the coil in the same area I had left the week before, but it was more than an hour before I got my first signal worth checking out. It was a very questionable target mostly in the iron range, bouncing to the pull tab range. I decided to dig because I’ve learned not to take chances, especially on deep signals. Glad I did, because at a depth of 10+ inches was a Flying Eagle cent with some great detail! I dug a few buttons and then, about 15 minutes later dug a great looking Indian Head cent. Another hour and a few more buttons in my pouch before I got a solid pull-tab signal at around 6 or 7 inches and got my second Flying Eagle of the day! This one looked great right out of the hole! After digging a few more buttons, I really needed to get home to take care of some errands. It was with great difficulty that I powered off my T2 and left the site. It wasn’t until much later that I realized it was a key date, 1870, and probably the best looking Indian I’d ever dug! I just carefully cleaned it with a little compressed air and then Vaseline and a toothpick and swab to remove loose dirt. If it wasn't for a tiny bit of verdigris, this would be an AU key date coin!
IMG_20151206_092725 - Copy (2).jpg
IMG_20151206_094347 - Copy - Copy.jpg
IMG_20151206_105905 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Here they are after cleaning
IMG_20151206_135507.jpg
IMG_20151206_135608~2 - Copy (2).jpg
IMG_20151218_222952 - Copy.jpg IMG_20151218_222829 - Copy.jpg

By the time I returned to the site again, the temps had warmed up to a balmy 70 degrees, Thank you El Nino! I wasn’t there long before I got a good solid hit and dug an old zinc religious medallion, some thimbles, followed soon after with a beautiful old cupboard key, a few more flat buttons, and then a great looking (but slightly dented) NY Militia button! I was just getting warmed up! A while later, another deep questionable signal at around 11 inches and what a beautiful site! An 1851 Large Cent, and great detail!!! After replacing the deep plug, I swept the coil one time and got another deep signal that sounded very similar, this one reading 13 inches on my display. Could it be another LC? I dug a huge plug and there was no target in the hole, but the signal had cleared up to a nice copper / silver reading. Deep iron? There’s always the chance of iron on those deep ones, but at more than 15 inches I felt a round object in the bottom of the hole. I carefully dug around it with my Lesche and out of the ground came a large crotal bell. I later was able to match the makers mark to William Barton, one of the first American bell maker.
IMG_20151213_105407 (1) - Copy.jpg
IMG_20151213_184648 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20151213_185102 - Copy.jpg IMG_20151213_185121 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20151214_140619 - Copy.jpg

The next few outings were equally as amazing with two “modern” silver Barber Dimes stuck together 1894, 1901 (both New Orleans mint), some more Indians, including two 1864, one clearly a pointed bust “L” variety, two semi-key 1869 (one is bent), a half dime and a Braided half cent in awesome condition! You won’t see many later date Braided Hair half cents dug. Most were cashed in for new small cents and melted down as a result of the Coin Act of 1857 when they became obsolete. I ended my last hunt with an awesome brass 1814 Friedrich Wilhelm III Jetton!
IMG_20151225_130404 (1) - Copy.jpg
IMG_20151225_143110-2 (1) - Copy.jpg IMG_20151225_143144 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20151227_132831 (1) - Copy.jpg IMG_20151227_132858 (1) - Copy.jpg
IMG_20160103_181559 - Copy.jpg IMG_20160104_214651-1 (2).jpg
IMG_20160103_181241 - Copy.jpg
Now that the targets are fewer and far between, I’m going to have to dig more of those deep iron signals. I know there must be some three cent pieces and maybe a deuce or two waiting for me!

A list of the coins follows below.

Half Reale – Undated
Half Cent – 1851
Large Cent – 1851
Flying Eagle – 1857 (2)
Indian Head “Fatty” – 1863
Indian Heads – Bronze
1864 “L”
1869 (2)
Half Dime – 1858
Barber Dimes
1894 O
1901 O
Friedrich Wilhelm III Jetton -1814

Attachments

• IMG_20151212_112808 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20151212_112808 - Copy.jpg
    714.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_20151212_112826 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20151212_112826 - Copy.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Upvote 52
OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an incredible site! So many awesome coins and the soil seems to be very mild because everything looks great! You have got to clean that place out of every signal. Congrats!

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe my last post here, since the users on the site have changed. Nowadays finding 3 key dates at one detecting site doesn't get many comments, yet many common gold and silver coins make banner. Thanks for all of your support over the years.

Congrats on the finds, but I guess I don't understand. Why does one need a "pat on the back" in order to enjoy a hobby? If I'm happy with what I've found, that's all that matters to me.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and what a site!!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil it's nice to see you post again. Some great coins with beautiful patina. Please don't stop posting buddy. Some of us really do appreciate this stuff. Don't worry about those that don't. I feel the same sometimes about some of the incredible colonial finds that get posted and hardly get noticed. But I and others post for the few friends on here that really love this stuff. One example is that GW Digger has found 2 Mass silvers and received zero Banners for them. Now that is insanity

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the finds, but I guess I don't understand. Why does one need a "pat on the back" in order to enjoy a hobby? If I'm happy with what I've found, that's all that matters to me.

Agreed. There weren't 100 replies, but those that posted were very strong in their praise. The pine tree got about 1/2 the posts that those usually get, maybe less.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you really were all over the board with that one. That Flying Eagle is in killer shape.

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Maybe my last post here, since the users on the site have changed. Nowadays finding 3 key dates at one detecting site doesn't get many comments, yet many common gold and silver coins make banner. Thanks for all of your support over the years.

Don't stop posting Neil, I enjoy seeing and reading your post. Heck i have posted some coins that i thought would get more comments than they did, but then i have posted some that got more comments then i thought they would. It doesn't bother me at least people at getting a chance to see what's found in my neck of the woods.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That 2 acres certainly held an amazing amount of treasure. Spanish silver, flying eagles, buttons; you name it. That was definitely worth the decade long wait.

That IH looks amazing for being in the ground for so long too.
Congrats on a fantastic hunt. You need to get back and pound every square inch of that site.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't stop posting Neil, I enjoy seeing and reading your post. Heck i have posted some coins that i thought would get more comments than they did, but then i have posted some that got more comments then i thought they would. It doesn't bother me at least people at getting a chance to see what's found in my neck of the woods.

I guess I was a little overboard with the comment. . I've seen this forum grow (and shrink again) over the years, and with the new technology in detectors, what was once a rare find is now fairly commonplace. Gold coins, pine tree shillings, GW buttons, Continental Army buttons on a regular basis??? Who would have thunk it!!

I guess you can call it a "sour grapes" post, and I apologize to all the members and admins!

With that being said, Here are some new finds ...dug yesterday at the same site. Enjoy!

Ch'ing Dynast bronze coin : Emperor Jen Tsung 1796-1820
IMG_20160109_153742 - Copy.jpg IMG_20160109_153803 - Copy.jpg

3 Piece button - non metalic cut stone(?) front
IMG_20160109_161812 - Copy.jpg

CW Era ring
IMG_20160109_162606-2 - Copy.jpg

Another cool button with Rosette design (or possibly a Star of David)
IMG_20160109_154745 - Copy.jpg

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I was a little overboard with the comment. . I've seen this forum grow (and shrink again) over the years, and with the new technology in detectors, what was once a rare find is now fairly commonplace. Gold coins, pine tree shillings, GW buttons, Continental Army buttons on a regular basis??? Who would have thunk it!!

I guess you can call it a "sour grapes" post, and I apologize to all the members and admins!

With that being said, Here are some new finds ...dug yesterday at the same site. Enjoy!

Ch'ing Dynast bronze coin : Emperor Jen Tsung 1796-1820
View attachment 1258718 View attachment 1258719

3 Piece button - non metalic cut stone(?) front
View attachment 1258720

CW Era ring
View attachment 1258721

Another cool button with Rosette design (or possibly a Star of David)
View attachment 1258727

Neil, I get where you're coming from and while I agree with what Crappies-n-Coins said, I didn't take what you said as you looking for appreciation of your finds. Your original post was very well written. You had lots of pictures of amazing finds and you told the story very well. Putting a post together like that takes a lot of time... it's almost like writing an article for a magazine. So when it doesn't get much interest, you kinda wonder "what's the point?" of sharing it. The posts I put together often take me an hour or more. I have to get the lighting right, take pictures, edit them, write the story and move the pictures around inline to get the post complete. So I totally understand what you were saying and where you're coming from. Don't stop though... Posts like your original one are some of my favorite types of posts on here... great finds, incredible condition and we'll written story. Its very appreciated by many of us on here.

BTW, sweet ring man! Like the design on it... I keep digging boring plain copper ones.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FANTASTIC buttons and coins! I really love the CW era ring, too!

Congrats!

-P.S.--who EVER digs TWO Flying Eagle Cents in one hunt??? Just doesn't happen. That's awesome!

-Buck

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Neil, I get where you're coming from and while I agree with what Crappies-n-Coins said, I didn't take what you said as you looking for appreciation of your finds. Your original post was very well written. You had lots of pictures of amazing finds and you told the story very well. Putting a post together like that takes a lot of time... it's almost like writing an article for a magazine. So when it doesn't get much interest, you kinda wonder "what's the point?" of sharing it. The posts I put together often take me an hour or more. I have to get the lighting right, take pictures, edit them, write the story and move the pictures around inline to get the post complete. So I totally understand what you were saying and where you're coming from. Don't stop though... Posts like your original one are some of my favorite types of posts on here... great finds, incredible condition and we'll written story. Its very appreciated by many of us on here.

BTW, sweet ring man! Like the design on it... I keep digging boring plain copper ones.

...and don't forget the time it takes to strip the EXIF data! I like keeping it on my phone so I can plot my finds, so I need to strip the info so I don't give up my location!

Capture.JPG

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus;
Nokta Makro Anfibio;
Garrett AT Pro;
Tesoro Vaquero;
Fisher F5;
Whites Eagle Spectrum - Started it all
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds. Those coins are INCREDIBLE!! Congrats

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other

I think everyone likes a few "thumbs-ups" now and then on their finds, and personally I don't see where you did anything deserving an apology. Seems like you regularly make a lot of nice finds, but I'm sure a newbie on their 1st outing whith their new MD who finds a Wheat Penny is just as proud as someone who's hunted 10 years who now doesn't bat an eye at a Wheatie.

I've hunted for several years, made some decent finds, and just getting back into MDing after a few year hiatus, but after a recent move left me in a spot of having to totally rethink my research strategy (hence basically no sites to hunt as of yet). Only reason I'm even mentioning this is simply that there are those of us out there who'd love to find the items you've just shared in this one single thread.

I guess my point is what I'd mentioned earlier, find self-satisfaction in your accomplishments, not how others view them (or don't). :thumbsup:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil you got quite a honey hole there! Glad you were able to finally get permission with the new owner!

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing site! Looks to be virgin! Congrats on some fantastic finds!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great location!!!! Love seeing old coppers!!!!:occasion14:

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing site! Looks to be virgin! Congrats on some fantastic finds!

She's a virgin no more. I only have a few more hunts left there. Next one is with the "hockey puck" to get between some of the iron and closer to the tall wild grass, the last one will be with the large Detech 13 inch when I get it.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG WHAT A HECK OF A BUNCH OF FINE ITEMS ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread