Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Headed back out to the colonial dump site that produced the flat buttons and 1812 Naval button yesterday. Tons of targets still remained however today I dug the shallower signals now that the deeper tones had been picked over. Apparently the site was utilized throughout the 19th and early 20th century given the spread of targets. The first dig was tangled in heavy oak roots and was a 30 minute labor to recover. I could see the edge of a copper whatzit and just kept at it until I had it out- Riding SPUR...guessing early 1800s given its copper vs iron.

P1060033.JPG P1060034.JPG P1060036.JPG

As the site progressed a managed a few flat buttons, round balls, and my first early copper of 2016- guessing its a LC but cant be sure due to the salt water corrosion. Also a domed lead/pewter item...perhaps a gaming piece. ID help on these two are greatly appreciated

P1060029.JPG P1060030.JPG P1060031.JPG P1060032.JPG

The next pair of targets was a huge surprise. Screaming shallow tone that I figured was almost certainly trash. Given the quality of the digs I wasn't leaving anything behind. Flipped the plug and starting back out me was the familiar edge of American silver...a 1897 Morgan silver dollar to be exact.

20160106_125701_resized.jpg morgan 1.JPG morgan 2.JPG

An even bigger surprise was the smaller silver tone a few feet away- flipped the plug and removed a tiny silver coin...My first TRIME!

trime 1.JPG trime 2.JPG

I can understand losing the trime, but the Morgan...how to you drop a coin that heavy. Here's the largest and the smallest 1800s American silver dug in the same hunt :laughing7:

morgan 3.JPG

Heading back to the main pit I dug 2 screaming signals side by side- a Victorian button from the late 19th to early 20th century and a lost Catholic cross. No clue how the pair ended up in the marsh, but it did give me goosebumps when I held them together.

P1060023.JPG P1060024.JPG P1060026.JPG P1060027.JPG

All in all an awesome followup from yesterday's hunt- can't wait for the warm weather this weekend.

P1060015.JPG

Upvote 31

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the 2 silvers.
Them trime are small huh?
And that Morgan looks like it was dropped right after it was minted..
I was say thats the coolest button ive ever seen..
Great hunt Jon.
But hold off from going back!!
Im coming down in a few days..lol

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The big and the small. Amazing contrast and most importantly - whatta hunt! Home RUN!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the 2 silvers.
Them trime are small huh?
And that Morgan looks like it was dropped right after it was minted..
I was say thats the coolest button ive ever seen..
Great hunt Jon.
But hold off from going back!!
Im coming down in a few days..lol

Looking forward to Monday George, plenty of dirt still out there

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you're close on your dating of that spur, but all early spurs weren't iron. As a matter of fact, I've dug several colonial examples, some dating to the 17th century, and every one of them was copper alloy. I've actually never dug an iron spur although some of the rowel pins on them were iron. Here's a great reference on early spurs if you're interested: http://digitalcommons.buffalostate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1254&context=neha

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats an awesome combo silver. No idea how folks lost those silver dollars either

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button is awesome! That's a crazy site with a huge time frame. I just told Georgie to bring the F75 so he can get the super deep stuff

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you're close on your dating of that spur, but all early spurs weren't iron. As a matter of fact, I've dug several colonial examples, some dating to the 17th century, and every one of them was copper alloy. I've actually never dug an iron spur although some of the rowel pins on them were iron.

Thanks on the spur knowledge, based on the depth I'm pretty sure it was around the same time frame as the 1812 button

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That button is awesome! That's a crazy site with a huge time frame. I just told Georgie to bring the F75 so he can get the super deep stuff

Haha certainly worth a shot, the salt mineralization gives most detectors fits though...CTX is the perfect machine for these conditions

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great group of finds Jon! Another good site you're on. Keep at it and I look forward to seeing what else comes from there.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You had me after the words Morgan and trime. Awesome digs vmi :notworthy: Great assortment of treasure.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds! Very cool to find the BIG and tiny silvers, both are highly desired and hard to find coins. Dang...

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang what a fantastic day! I'm very jealous of that trime, major bucket list item for me. Great site. Clean it out and share more!

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus;
Nokta Makro Anfibio;
Garrett AT Pro;
Tesoro Vaquero;
Fisher F5;
Whites Eagle Spectrum - Started it all
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
man, I LOVE the huge silver and the trime. The cross is super nice too. Congrats

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha certainly worth a shot, the salt mineralization gives most detectors fits though...CTX is the perfect machine for these conditions

Very true. I have hunted a couple of those areas with the T2 but you have to be spot on with the settings and very patient

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt getting the two silvers on both ends of the size scale, very cool. Liking the button the scene is great on it and will look great in the display.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on the killer assortment of finds!

The trime and the Morgan in one hunt, is just awesome. The biggest silver and the smallest silver coins made. WOW...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread