At last: First silver times two of 2016 and some miscellany

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Saturday my wife and I returned from our honeymoon in Paris. We had a great time but I can tell you there were a number of sites there that I could not walk past or over without imagining what kinds of treasure lay beneath the surface. So when I was finally able to get out today, I was pretty amped up.

First silver was a Mercury, and I saw the obverse first. 1916! I've been through this before, but I nevertheless allowed myself to imagine for a moment that there might be a D mintmark on the back. I turned it over. Nothin'.

Oh well! Found another one a while later, some junk jewelry, a wheatie and a bunch of clad. Found a piece of what looks like a tag of some sort. I googled all I could read of it (FOX HOLL...) and a number of results for a Fox Hollow Farm in NC came up, so maybe it's related to that place. Not too shabby! Hope we all have a great 2016!

Thanks for looking.

merc1.jpg merc2.jpg merc3.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 12

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great saves on those dimes,but if I had just returned from my honeymoon I don't imagine that I would be metaldetecting that soon.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you're saying about the D mark. I've found 5 - 1916 dimes. Three were Philly and two were San Francisco. It's that moment from when you see that 1916 until you clear the mintmark area that makes you breathless. For me, any 1916 is a winner.

The second merc has a strange 3 on it...maybe it's the angle, or is that an over punch 2?

Either way nice finds

OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you're saying about the D mark. I've found 5 - 1916 dimes. Three were Philly and two were San Francisco. It's that moment from when you see that 1916 until you clear the mintmark area that makes you breathless. For me, any 1916 is a winner.

The second merc has a strange 3 on it...maybe it's the angle, or is that an over punch 2?

Either way nice finds

Under the loupe it looks like a normal three. After I looked it I remembered the overdate is 1942/1, anyhow. But who knows, maybe we would've co-discovered a new variety.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes! The anticipation! Daring to hope! Please...please...please..! Let there be a "D" !!!!

Ain't it fun for a bit! LOL

You did good!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always a cool few seconds looking for dates or mintmarks, nice work, good finds.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the silvers. I have one 1916, and it is badly worn, so it is easier to "imagine" that D being there!

Best of luck to you in 2016!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silvers. I'm in the same boat with you on the 16 D. I've found 3 only to have them not have the D on the back. Happy 100th anniversary to that coin anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread