Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Linked up with DownNDirty on a promising site that was once a British camp. The site was originally occupied by colonial militia, but was later vacated after the fall of Charlestown. Given Glenn's (DownNDirty's) recent pewter find we can confirm occupation by the 71st Regiment of Foot among others.

This was no easy dig- the site is incredibly remote and covered in dense overgrowth, but with finds like these we are sure to return. My first target was a small copper thimble...only minutes after turning on the detector. I also managed to snipe a piece of Dirty's buckle pictured in an earlier post (I will be returning it to complete his adjoining pieces) :laughing7:.

P1190100.JPG

Picking through the iron the next target was a smooth copper disk- probably a KG2 given the sites age.

coin.JPG

After this this dig, the targets became few and far between. To stay busy I starting digging deep iron hoping for British camp relics. First out was a iron ladle/pot handle fresh out of the electrolysis bath.

P1190109.JPG

The next target was probably my favorite, partial brown bess barrel. This one looked like a hollow hunk of rust but cleaned up well. Apparent the .69 round ball found a few feet away is still a perfect fit. Can't quite make out the proofing stamp-

barrel 2.JPG barrel 3.JPG barrel 1.JPG

After 8 hours of swinging, I did managed a single white metal flat button with iron loop shank. Given the sites temporary use as a field hospital and the British manufacture, its certainly possible it belonged to a soldier, however impossible to be certain.

button 1.JPG button 2.JPG

Hessian soldiers in particular were known to wear unmarked white metal buttons of this variety and a few are depicted in Troiani's book.

According to one official report, the British army remained “reasonably” healthy in mid-July 1780. But if so, their health quickly deteriorated after that time and they remained sickly throughout the fall. The spread of diseases was facilitated by the constant movement of British soldiers and camp followers to and from the lowcountry...for all their blundering, the British might well have succeeded in their southern strategy had it not been for the diseases that weakened their army. The garrison at Charleston became increasingly sickly throughout the fall, with the Hessians suffering especially heavily.

The last target really tells a story of what became of the site. Initially I though it was a melted bell however a bit of research revealed that it is a early 18th century bell metal mortar and pestle. Crazy to think of the heat required to melt such a heavy piece of brass.

mortar.JPG mortar 2.JPG mortar 3.JPG

Here's what it may have looked like during the occupation

early-18th-century-bell-metal-mortar-and-pestle-359465.jpg

All in all a fantastic hunt with some killer 18th century finds. Can't wait to get back and dig a regimental of my own. Thanks for looking!

P1190099.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 30

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great history and spot to dig :occasion14:

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your hard work getting to the site sure paid off, your finds are winners!

Thanks iron horse, the button still has me wondering if it could be hessian- have you or IP recovered similar white metal/tomac buttons with iron loop shanks at your Rev Sites?

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks iron horse, the button still has me wondering if it could be hessian- have you or IP recovered similar white metal/tomac buttons with iron loop shanks at your Rev Sites?

At the loyalist sites we've hunted there's always a variety of buttons; no problem getting iron shanked tombacs, although, pewters with iron shanks tend to be our famous RP (Royal Provincials) plain ones tend to be more from earlier sites pre-dating the War and tend to have pewter shanks as well
It seems the numbered regiment mainly have iron wire shanks too, but I can't say I've dug too many on post war sites that fit that description
I'm not aware of Hessians settling in our area so the buttons could be unique to those groups of soldiers, there were many more British soldiers that came to our shores than German mercenaries

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At the loyalist sites we've hunted there's always a variety of buttons; no problem getting iron shanked tombacs, although, pewters with iron shanks tend to be our famous RP (Royal Provincials) plain ones tend to be more from earlier sites pre-dating the War and tend to have pewter shanks as well
It seems the numbered regiment mainly have iron wire shanks too, but I can't say I've dug too many on post war sites that fit that description
I'm not aware of Hessians settling in our area so the buttons could be unique to those groups of soldiers, there were many more British soldiers that came to our shores than German mercenaries

Thanks for the response IH- Hessian's were definitely used as an occupying force after the fall of Charleston, just trying to establish other similar provenance. Personally, I've dug dozens of tomack buttons at early civilian sites, but never with an iron shank. This feature has been typical for the British regimental buttons I have recovered in the past (and the 71st dug by DownNDirty) but this one will remain speculation at best.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome I could go somewhere like that every day for months keep us posted.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great site and fantastic finds. Those sites are exciting as you know every tone could produce and amazing early military find. The barrel is really cool. Hope you get that Reg button buddy

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done, as usual. The mortar is just killer.

Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great site and fantastic finds. Those sites are exciting as you know every tone could produce and amazing early military find. The barrel is really cool. Hope you get that Reg button buddy

Thanks Ahab, these early sites are getting harder to come by- can't wait to get back

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool finds, nice work, which detector were you using?

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great group of finds Jon! Really cool find with the musket barrel...any part of an old gun is a killer find in my opinion. Big congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread