Civ(?) bridle buckle.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post Civ bridle buckle.

I found this today in southwest Missouri. While researching I find a lot that are otherwise identical except this just has a circle in the middle instead of a heart.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe, maybe not. Those are always a tough call. Chances are its Civil War if you were hunting in a Civil War Battle / Camp area etc. They say the ones with the hearts were also bedroll buckles that the ladies would use to roll up the bedroll & then secure it with the buckle for their men before they went off to war. I have found a few with the circle & a few with the heart on them here in Illinois. Mine were found at old homesteads, so I am just saying mine are generic buckles. I suppose they could have been used on a horse during the Civil War, but I will never know.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely live in an area where many battles were fought durring the Civil War, this was found in what is now a virtual ghost town. I have not been able to find one exactly like this, who knows maybe it's a rare variation.

Thank you all very much for all the great info that's my favorite treasure of all.

Last edited:

chrisdigs

Oct 1, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,Garrett AT Pro,Garrett At MAX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found the heart type in Confederate camp sight. Alot of people seem to find them at Civil War sites in the southeast as well as old home spots. I tend to agree with
Trezurehunters theory. Probably civilian but could have been carried from home during the CW??? " The debate continues...) Still a nice find.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the heart type in Confederate camp sight. Alot of people seem to find them at Civil War sites in the southeast as well as old home spots. I tend to agree with
Trezurehunters theory. Probably civilian but could have been carried from home during the CW??? " The debate continues...) Still a nice find.

Did you read the links in this post? The debate was lost a long time ago. Unless you want to con people on ebay, they are post CW.

chrisdigs

Oct 1, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Did you read the links in this post? The debate was lost a long time ago. Unless you want to con people on ebay, they are post CW.

You missed the part where I said could have been. I dont use ebay to research or sell relics. I have seen several people find these at sites that produce several CW relics. That being said I do agree they are probably post war and used as horse tack, but Im not going to rule out a few similar versions existed during the Civil War era, thats just my opinion
you don't have to agree with it.
american digger article.jpg

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You missed the part where I said could have been. I dont use ebay to research or sell relics. I have seen several people find these at sites that produce several CW relics. That being said I do agree they are probably post war and used as horse tack, but Im not going to rule out a few similar versions existed during the Civil War era, thats just my opinion
you don't have to agree with it.
View attachment 1265928
Sorry, when I said 'you' for the ebay bit, I really meant anyone that does it, not you personally.
The whole reason that this got mis-ID & published in the first place was because of detectorist like yourself & your mates making that exact statement - 'find these at sites that produce several CW relics'. I have read a thousand times on here the statement - 'I found it on a CW site so it has to be CW'. Words to that affect. Some even go as far as stating there was no way that anyone returned to this site until they did with their detector. My point is that we as detectorist & people generally interested in History should never assume anything when putting together the clues that we dig up. Always start with the clue/object & put the site to the back of your mind. Once we have that mindset we are going to get much more from the whole experience.

chrisdigs

Oct 1, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree 100% with that , a lot times that's how it all gets started. The CW site where I dug my US plate and other true period relics, I have hunted there many times and found lots more modern items than I have period relics. Well I don't know maybe they did drink bud light during the civil war...lol. You make some good points though. On the eBay thing no offense taken.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the record I couldn't find any buckle covers that were used by either side during the civil war. And most of the ones I have seen on ebay say civil war era. Era being a loose term, as in 30 years later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread