Dig-MV

Aug 26, 2014
Marthaโ€™s Vineyard
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the worst starts to a hunt I've ever had. Started out by leaving my atp in my gf's car and her taking off with it. After driving and getting it looked and the gas light was on. By the time I filled up almost all of my hunting time was gone. Decided to pull the trigger and go to a spot that gave up six coppers last spring. This spot is a over grown field with a cellar hole foundation in the middle. The grass is never cut and overgrown making it hard to hit. Was hoping the snow had packed down the grass and then melted. For the first 30 minutes I did not dig a signal. Kept putting the coil over my boot to make sure the thing was still on. After an hr I got to a side of the hole I had hit before but is was really trashy. With nothing to lose I made my way slow as ever. Head stamps, pull tabs, and lots of iron started flying out the ground. Finally got a perfect deep 85 and out came a well worn and toasted draped bust. Hit some nice buckles and two silver plated spoons in the same hole. After a few flat buttons, and what looks like a shoe buckle but might be a suspenders buckle. Was walking to the truck and got an iffy signal said what the hell. Flipped the plug over and man did that signal change to a high tone. Pulled out the most messed up beautiful coin I've ever seen. 1827 capped bust dime looks to be shot by a shot gun. Maybe packed on the end of a shell? I get to check the dime off my bucket list but wish it was in better shape. Still pumped and happy about my new oldest American silver. Thanks HH

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
Upvote 10

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ! :occasion14:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Phew! I think that is the most screwed up dime I've ever seen! ....but ain't she beautiful?!?! Great snag and certainly something nobody on here finds regularly. Great copper too!

Steve

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds your day started like mine.I hiked to my spot found two whets then my shovel broke on the frozen ground I was shut down. Good way to save your day.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice capped bust, get that baby graded and slabbed! Lol

Too bad it's beat up, but still a really cool find. Congrats on your oldest silver!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one is definitely going to be a pain to put in the Whitman's coin folder, but it does have a certain charm to it!
Carl

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
That dime has a story there somewhere. Did you get a date off of the Draped Bust L.C.? No doubt about it, you have a real good spot to hunt.
Good Luck,
Phil

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on digging your oldest silver. :occasion14: I guess it's time to dig up the trash to see if it's masking any goodies.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
That's the coin you put on the table with "lesser" finds and then have a great conversation on how fun and varied the hobby is. Of course, finding a capped bust in any shape is usually a great day of hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread