Colonial silver?? To be, or not to be -- that is the question ....

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My buddy Dan and I were finally able to access a very promising site that we've been trying to get into for over a year now, although only part of the property was made available to us yesterday. As soon as we walked out into that first small field we immediately started seeing early brick and pottery scattered over a wide area with a little iron thrown in as well. But after hitting that spot for a bit it became obvious that someone had hunted it hard before as the low tones almost entirely predominated. I did get a bit of excitement when I unearthed what appeared to be a well-worn and very thin silver coin, but we were both skeptical about its true identity. After returning home I tried removing some of the tarnish, which was brown instead of the black we usually see on silver, and didn't have any luck even with electrolysis. I also compared it to a couple slick half reales, and although this "coin" was actually a little thicker, it was much lighter in weight (0.42g vs 1.20g). I finally had to give in and admit this was not a silver coin but probably some aluminum whatzit. I know this will put a smile on Dan's face since I won't be able to make up any ground in our little colonial silver competition :laughing7:. The rest of the hunt was pretty uneventful for me with only a few odds and ends from the 1800s, but it was still great to get out after a 2-week hiatus due to the snow.

Attachments

• 013016a.jpg
    013016a.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 013016b.jpg
    013016b.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 013016c.jpg
    013016c.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 013016d.jpg
    013016d.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 013016e.jpg
    013016e.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 013016f.jpg
    013016f.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 013016g.jpg
    013016g.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 18

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm I dunno buddy. I would try the lemon juice for sure. Can't hurt my friend. My guess is that you will dig up a rare one soon. You are due and I know you can't be held down too long

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
A quick lemon juice soak with a little brushing would likely go a long way.

Tried soaking it for quite some time and then with some vigorous brushing, but it didn't put a dent in it. And electrolysis didn't work either. :dontknow:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on getting out to hunt.

I find those fake reals all of the time... I call them "not-reals". Mine are usually aluminum play money.

Best of luck to you!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As always, great hunt Bill. I like that heel plate piece and I bet that pocket watch gave a killer signal. :laughing7: That curved brass piece on the right side of the picture, to the left of the little buckle reminds me of a musket side plate... however, it has two screw holes and I cant seem to find one that's similar.

As for the "coin", I can see what Joey's talking about with a counter stamp. It definitely looks like it has a round stamp with something in there. It sounds like you've tried just about everything on it, but you could always do the boiling water, aluminum foil and baking soda and see if you get a rotten egg smell. While not definitive, you might be able to tell if it has silver in it based on that. Seems pretty light though, so if it is a coin, like Cru said debased maybe.

Either way, I'm super jealous you got out! After getting 3 feet of snow dumped on us, we've had a few mid 50's days up here. Perfect detecting weather, but there is still a foot of snow on the ground. It seriously cant melt fast enough. ha

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry late to this post Bill,
Things have been crazy organizing this hunt.
Not sure what I see on the coin?
But I'm glad to see you getting out, and getting some keepers!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread