Intriguing Early 18th Century Coin Weight & a Few 17th Century Buttons

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost overlooked this coin weight that I found this past December. I thought it was a worn out cam gear, but then figured that perhaps it was a possible coin weight. I found some similar weights online, but they were larger and more modern than I had figured for this example. It also didn’t have any markings – or so I thought. On closer inspection I could discern a Roman numeral. After an overnight soak in mineral oil, I found clear markings. It was a weight of some sort. I then found online a close match in style, shape, and arrangement of markings. While I only found one good match, I really like the provenance of the matching example; it was found on the excavation of Queen Anne’s Revenge, Blackbeard’s ship, which was scuttled down in North Carolina in 1718. There’s obviously no connection between what I found and piracy, but it does provide a good means of dating the coin weight to the early 18th century. Here are the photos –

download 1-31-16 006.JPG
This is the weight that I found

treasure4[1].jpg
This is the weight excavated from Queen Anne’s Revenge. It may have been used to weigh coins, gold dust or medicine.

Here’s the link - Treasures of the Outer Bank | HILUXURY - Hawaii Luxury Magazine

I may have it weighed to see if it matches a Spanish silver four reales. I noticed that one weight has a 4 R, while the other has an 8 R, so I’m thinking four reales and eight reales. I would have rather found a four reales coin like the stunning banner find by Palmetto a while back, but I’ll take the coin weight over nothing.

download 1-31-16 013.JPG
Here’s the last picture of a few 17th century buttons, I recently found. They are not much to look at, but they are the right period if you’re looking for Mass Silver.

Upvote 9

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No offence to your own tastes, but I'd rather have found the weight...especially by the fact you have shown a perfect match with dating to a awesome era.

super!

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offence to your own tastes, but I'd rather have found the weight...especially by the fact you have shown a perfect match with dating to a awesome era.

super!

None taken - Even after being pounded by many detectorists, this site offered up a one-reale, a big eight-reales, and a King Charles II jeton, found by me and some detecting buddies over the past several trips. I'm hoping that continued plowing at the site and my Deus will continue producing.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a keeper amazing to think of the history o that coin weight and buttons. Nice

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a coin weight like you found IS a top notch relic find and although a 4 Reale would be a great addition to anybody's collection your coin weight is a much rarer find.........
Don

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
That is some early soil you are on! love the coin weight and the nipple button!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions