A day of calling my shots and a final hour find! (early 1700s Farthing) PLUS an ID!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A day of calling my shots and a final hour find! (early 1700's Farthing) PLUS an ID!

Whelp, Bill and I got out yesterday to check on some new sites. Our goal was one particular farm that we have been eying where an on-going conversation has been occurring with the owner. It was one of those, "yes" but not the best time right now" sort of sites. Well wouldn't you know it, before I left town to meet Bill my cellphone rang and permission was FINALLY granted, though with conditions. We were only allowed access to one portion of the farm as we need to go back and speak with the owner about the other (and more promising) area. The owner had mentioned that they had unfortunately run folks off the land prior, so Bill and I did not know what to expect.

After driving in and parking where the owner instructed, we immediately set out to check a promising and high sandy field. No sooner than taking 5 steps did we each begin seeing brick and pottery and within a few moments I spotted a broken colonial pipe stem with a partial remaining bowl laying on the ground - WOW I felt like it was game on! Unfortunately, we spent the next few hours scrapping together what we could as the site had been hunted hard, illegally over the years. This probably would have been a very productive site otherwise. Well it was not all for nothing, as finds were there if you worked for them. Bill may or may not have found a keeper (will let him show you) and I managed a few myself. As I mentioned about the sand, it was beautiful and the relics were in amazing shape. My first heart attack was the 1920's merc dime. I just knew it was a colonial silver...not to be. Then a heavily silver plated buckle (heart) popped out and while I like it, the first glimpse of silver also had me going. Other odds and ends that I picked up were the piece to a musket sideplate with a dog or dragon's head etched into it. The early eagle drum or banjo tensioner device, the broken fixed spur, broken shoe buckles and a nice little native american gem eyeballed in the field. After a quick lunch, I told Bill I wanted to go back to a spot that we had just each dug a button as I "knew there would be more there."

I managed seven buttons from that site (6 from that specific area) including a set of linked-buttons (or cufflinks) that I really would appreciate an ID on. I know they are 1700's and very similar to the other spanish commemorative or decorative style (pillars or Hercules or reale die casts). The crown looks less English to me and there is an inscription under it. The best I can make it either GO?RNA or CO?RNA. I am most positive about the "NA" and also know it is either a "G" or "C" that begins the inscription. The ? is unknown, but looks like a I,L,J, etc. and the "R" is not positive as it could be an E,B,P . They are very cool and would love to make the connection. I did come across a few towns through word association, but I believe this is more dedicated to an individual or event.

Well towards the end of the day we decided to check out a few more fields at another site as we had not been over to that area this season. As how our season as gone, they were all planted in winter ground crop/cover. We were left to only hit a old and less reliable site. That being said, I felt like a coin could be there as it produced a number of them in prior seasons. We have hit it hard, but I did tell Bill "I bet another coin can show up" and sure enough one did. After about an hour with only two buttons, a broken shoe buckle and a musket ball to show, and in the 11th hour and 58th minute, out popped a nice gem. a 1730's George II Farthing! Believe it or not, this is my first 100% identifiable farthing. I have dug a couple suspects over the years, but too worn to be certain. I was on cloud nine all the way back to the house.

My total for the hunt was 9 buttons (10 if you count both cuffs he he) a handful of musket balls, some scrap lead and partially melted from where the early settlers were pouring shot, and the other items mentioned. It was a fun day and I certainly can't wait to get back to this site and check out more of the property. Despite scoundrels sneaking in over the years, the promising parts are next to the owners homes, so I think we will have good luck!

I spent the trip home smiling to the heavens for if nothing else, good weather and another memory in the books!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    945.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 1a1.JPG
    1a1.JPG
    434.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 152
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    757.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    426.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    488.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    347.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    429.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    321.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    597.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    647 KB · Views: 128
  • 1p.JPG
    1p.JPG
    786.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 1q.JPG
    1q.JPG
    782.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 1r.JPG
    1r.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 132
  • 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 25

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dan,

Great selection of finds and that farthing is in great shape considering it's age.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks man...glad it cleaned up well as some coppers from this site did well while others were toast.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dream Hunt! :notworthy:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say you definitely salvaged a decent day buddy with a nice quantity of relics plus some unique ones. I think I did too much roaming instead of settling down and hitting spots hard like you did. That can be attested by my 21,000 steps per my Fitbit .... haha! I think my favorite find are the cufflinks. Doesn't that look more like the Spanish crown we see on pistareens? I also think that copper is a good candidate for hydrogen peroxide, and once you can remove that stubborn encrustation I believe all the details will be there. Great job on the pics too as you definitely came up with some interesting poses. Hope we can continue to explore that site again soon.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say you definitely salvaged a decent day buddy with a nice quantity of relics plus some unique ones. I think I did too much roaming instead of settling down and hitting spots hard like you did. That can be attested by my 21,000 steps per my Fitbit .... haha! I think my favorite find are the cufflinks. Doesn't that look more like the Spanish crown we see on pistareens? I also think that copper is a good candidate for hydrogen peroxide, and once you can remove that stubborn encrustation I believe all the details will be there. Great job on the pics too as you definitely came up with some interesting poses. Hope we can continue to explore that site again soon.

Yea man, I am fairly sure it is Spanish or Portuguese by style. That combined with the style similar to the pistareen (Carlos commemorative cuffs) lead me to think that. I noticed you were roaming a bit more than usual...just hunker down man...its OK the next time I am hunkering down you will roam and find 3 silvers in one day again (remember that??)

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that farthing is in great shape. I would just throw it in a holder as it is. The heart buckle and cuff links are great finds too. What a great day you had!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds Dan, you and Bill are really doing great. Congrats.
ZDD

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great detail on the farthing! I have only found one identifiable as well, but not nearly as nice as yours.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I saw someone posted trying to see what there coin was looks just like yours Awesome

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan, you knocked it out of the park man! The farthing is phenomenal and looks fabulous. Buttons, balls, pipes, buckles...dude, awesome hunt. Keep it up and take it easy on Bill next time! Lol

Cheers

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions