Short evening hunt yields a 10kt class ring

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
I hope you all had a good weekend. I should be in bed right now, but I am still excited about my luck this evening, a bit wired still, so I'll doo my post now instead of tomorrow.

After working around the house, outside, most of the day and helping a neighbor out this afternoon, I was driving to get pizza for dinner and when I passed the local high school football stadium, I notice that they are completely re-doing the field. There was all kinds of heavy equipment in there and it looked like they had plowed to whole field up. I would never hunt there normally because they keep it perfect and it just doesn't seem right to dig there. I don't think they would appreciate it so I don't even bother worrying about it. But now, with the whole place plowed up so what the heck. After dinner I went for a quick evening hunt. It was 7:30pm already when I left home.

When I got there, I discovered that they had removed at least one foot of dirt from the entire field inside the running track so hunting on the field seemed fruitless. They are putting in new irrigation and drainage. I did however notice that they have piled all the dirt taken off out back in an open field behind the stadium, so I might hit the pile this week if I can get out. There was however, a thin strip of dirt between the edge of the running track and fence in front of the grandstands on both sides of the field. I would imagine that the cheerleaders put their gear and belongings in this about two foot wide area during the games, so I covered those two areas first. I was getting some nice finds, coins mostly, plus two different atheletic medals/pins, one for wrestling and one for cheerleading. Those were on the home side of the field. In the vistitors side, I got my first keeper, a really nice sterling chain, in perfect condition, laying just buried under the dirt. Cool!! It really sparkles and is a twisted rope style chain, very pretty! It has a funny pendant on it, a monkey holding a banana.

After finishing covering this area, on the visitors side of the field, there is an area of open grass between the bleachers and the concession stand. I remember seeing younger kids playing football there while the high school games are going on. It's probably 30 feet wide by 100 feet long. I was taking random paths in that area and finding a lot of coins, the finds were coming one after another and a lot of quarters too. There was a lot of junk also, but it had rained late last week so the digging wasn't too bad. My pouch was full of trash so I was walking to a trash can to empty it out, always keeping the detector on the ground as I walk. Well, I got a good signal and when I dug it, I got a big surprize. A 10 kt womens class ring popped out of the hole! It's 1972 and from one of the neighboring high schools that play against us every year. I am very happy as it has been since the mid 1980's since I found a class ring, over 20 years ago. I found several back in the 80's at a TH'ers dream site that produced over 300 keeper rings in a 8 year period for me. I returned a few of them, the ones I could find the owners back then. Unfortunately, all my treasures and my coin collection were stolen in 2002 in a break in of my house. Well, I have another mission to do now, find the owner of this ring. School just let out, so I have to move quick before they leave for the summer. There are initials inside it, but I can only read two of the three with my jewelers loop. I will take it to work tomorrow and use the microscope there to try and get a better look.

It sure was a happy night for me here. A short hour and half hunt, two nice keepers, some cool medals and pins, and $7.33 in clad with 86 coins. There is plenty of more ground to cover in that grassy area plus the dirt pile. A nice work out for the Ace 250.

Here's some shots of my finds. Sorry about the ring close ups. My camera is kind of limited for that (or else I just suck at taking the pictures...lol) Thanks for reading and good luck to you all out there!

Smiles!
BDoo

Attachments

• June 10 T.jpg
    June 10 T.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 784
  • June 10 F.jpg
    June 10 F.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 779
  • Chain w Monkey.jpg
    Chain w Monkey.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 780
  • Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 782
  • Ring side.jpg
    Ring side.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 776
Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Not bad at all for a short hunt! What a way to work off that pizza. BTW, glad you expained the wrestling pin. LOL
Kudos and best of luck contacting the owner. I'm sure karma will work in your favor. HH!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BDoo,
Nice class ring find. An oldie too. I can't wait to find one of those. Looks like a productive night hunt. Congrats,
MM

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Finds!!!!!!!!! I haven't found a class ring in a long long time, I'm about due anytime. . . enjoy!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul - well done :)

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Bdoo, very amazing finds....if it were me, i'd still be there ;)

sorry to here about that break in....but there is always more treasure to be found :)

HH
-GC

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Eileena said:
Some very nice finds. Good luck finding the owner of the beautiful ring!!

Thanks Eileena!! I called the school, no one answered, so I left a message. I'll keep trying.

Smiles!
BDoo

R

RUDY2003

Wow Boo...Nice pile of coin..I think the monkey chain is very nice. I also graduated tin 1972.
Keep safe...

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Hey Boobydoo, way to get back in the gold...with a big chunk. Congrat's on the nice finds. So when ya coming to Hawaii to hunt with me? ;D

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
stoney56 said:
Not bad at all for a short hunt! What a way to work off that pizza. BTW, glad you expained the wrestling pin. LOL
Kudos and best of luck contacting the owner. I'm sure karma will work in your favor. HH!

Wrestling is a brutal sport. We have a good team here, they made the state finals (top 8) in class A the past few years. Thanks for stopping in stoney, great to see you!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
ModernMiner said:
BDoo,
Nice class ring find. An oldie too. I can't wait to find one of those. Looks like a productive night hunt. Congrats,
MM

I hope you get it MM, good luck. It was a surprise, and a good one for sure. Thanks for stopping in buddy!

Smiles!
BDoo

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a very productive hour and a half BDoo. WTG! Good luck on finding the former onwer of that ring.

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
You definitely werent without gold for long! Hope the dirt piles hold some booty as well.....WTG....Joe

D

Danielmc

Short but sweet evening.. What is that some sort of Kama Sutra pin/pendant?

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now how did I miss this post??

Your description of the place was so vivid I could visualize it in my head..

Nice work, your strategy was dead-on and you definitely deserved what you found..and in only 90 minutes! I know you can't wait to go back again..good luck and we'll all be waiting for the pics of your next outing!

HH,
Nat

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds again. I'm not sure they would let me MD the high schools here, even if they were torn up. All locked fences and Athletes only signs. At least the middle and elementary schools are parks in the off hours.

HH.

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
BDoo, I told you that you'd be posting gold before the week was out! I can always count on reading about your amazing finds. In such a short hunt too! Awesome! :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread