More battles on the border!

Bob-E-Pin

Dec 31, 2012
El Paso Texas/Las Cruces New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro. and AT Gold, Nox 800,Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So me and the wife were out at it again. I'm thinking we might have found the 12 Calvalry Fort/tent camp that was set up to protect the Gold mine from Pancho Villa and his Villistas. Found a miners token from the company store looks like some 45/70 government casings and what I believe is a Cannon shell primer, any help identifying that would be appreciated.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 12

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!
I'm sure somebody will know.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really cool. Now gotta find that miners poke.Awesome

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The token is listed in the Crawford & Farber Louisiana Trade Tokens book with the comment, "A general merchant and manufacturer of railroad ties from about 1906 until 1911. The 'Stores' possibly is a reference to the fact that Stiles had a branch in Mooringsport the last year or two he was in business."

Luther M. Stiles shows up in the 1910 Census as Merchant-General Store in Caddo County, LA. He was appointed Postmaster of Lewis on 31 May 1905 and was replaced by Howell M. Lewis on 17 Jan 1912. Howell Lewis was the original Postmaster beginning on 30 Jan 1901 - Probably he was the town's namesake.

If you could, please post pics of this token to tokencatalog.com (or with your permission, I could post them)

John in the Great 208

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
This clipping from the El Paso Herald, 16 Jan 1922 appears to be talking about the same Luther M. Stiles - maybe he brought some of his tokens along with him...

Attachments

• stiles.JPG
    stiles.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 132

Dirtrobber

Jan 31, 2016
North miss
Detector(s) used
Mine lab etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't think that last picture is a cannon primer but a rare 1873 Maynard cartridge case . It could be a 35 or 40 caliber. They made cartridges from 32 up to 50 caliber. Very rare to find them. The most common type of Maynard cartridges is the flat head percussion type used during the civil war .

OP
OP
Bob-E-Pin

Bob-E-Pin

Dec 31, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idaho Tokens, thank you for the awesome reply to this post. If you are familiar with the listed sight you have my permission to post the pictures. If you like I can take better pictures for the catalog and you could post those.

OP
OP
Bob-E-Pin

Bob-E-Pin

Dec 31, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirt robber, you are the man!!! That was it on the money, that was the first shell casing that has ever stumped me being a firearm enthusiast myself.Thank you so much for the response ,I think that is even cooler than a primer !!!
image.jpeg

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! 'tis posted.
John
Lewis, Louisiana, U.S.A.
Image Wanted

AR25

[CA5]
GOOD AT STORES OF / L.M. / STILES / LEWIS, LOUISIANA
GOOD FOR / 25¢ / IN MERCHANDISE
TC-320399; Crawford-Farber 5068-A-25

Listed by: muddobber16

AR35

[CA5]
GOOD AT STORES OF / L.M. / STILES / LEWIS, LOUISIANA.
GOOD FOR / 1.00 / IN MERCHANDISE
TC-320400; Crawford-Farber 5068-A-100 *** Collection of and photo courtesy of Bob E Pin in far west TX

OP
OP
Bob-E-Pin

Bob-E-Pin

Dec 31, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I have been checking pretty hard, I cannot seem to find any other picture of this token anywhere. At all..... Took it to a local guy here in town and explained that Idahotokens was kind enough to post the pics to the catalog online. The gentleman explained he would look around and do some research of his own. He called me back and to my surprise he stated that my pics that I took were the only known photos of a LM Stiles $1.00 token that he knows of. Thanks to Idahotokens newspaper article he sent me I now have a second favorite find just due to rarity. ��

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread