🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOTS of stuff, and looks early to me, but I'm no Colonial guy, so while you're waiting for Spring, give me your thoughts on anything you see here that interests you!

DSCN2514.JPG

In the summer, I took a shot at a groundhog 200 yards from my driveway on the property adjacent to mine. His hole was on a high knoll and I missed, but walked over to make sure. Looking for blood in his hole (I saw none) I noticed that in his digging, he had to maneuver around a partial wall (Totally unknown to anybody around here, and below the plow line depth) I could see LARGE unfired Colonial bricks. Looking around the hole, I saw clay pipe, salt glazed pottery and other evidence of early inhabitants. A house was soon to be built there, and so I eye-balled and detected the area as much as I could, until the opportunity was over. And it's over.

I found part of an octagonal hooked-breech gun barrel. The absence of any nipple apparatus makes me think Flintlock, especially since I found a perfect flint, and some raw flint or chert not native to this area. A trigger guard, too.

DSCN2530.JPG DSCN2533.JPG DSCN2534.JPG DSCN2535.JPG DSCN2553.JPG DSCN2554.JPG

In the pic with the flint, could the rounded edge buckle be a knee buckle? And the piece in the lower right, could that be to a shoe buckle? If so, it's the first I've ever found.

I came away with some buttons and a very small cameo. The cameo (I guess that's what you call it) was only found because of the thin brass edge surrounding it. The buttons: One was a two-piece with the face missing. Another appears to be a tombac and another a flat. Two have decorations. Anybody recognize the decorations as anything? The cameo appears to be woman, though at first it looked like Julius Caesar or something.

DSCN2540.JPG DSCN2541.JPG DSCN2555.JPG DSCN2556.JPG

Not a single coin, and no other jewelry. But what really intrigued me was that there was virtually NOTHING modern in this field. No junk. (According to my wife, it's ALL junk!) Detector finds were scant. Harmonica reeds that look like lead, pocket-knife parts, a very thick heavy pewter handle to something, pieces of pots, random brass, etc.

DSCN2530.JPG DSCN2531.JPG

I'm curious about this though - found two of them. almost look like iron arrowheads. Is there such a thing in Eastern Virginia? I found one broken quartz arrowhead and some flakes . . .

DSCN2548.JPG DSCN2549.JPG DSCN2550.JPG DSCN2551.JPG DSCN2552.JPG

Now to the eyeball finds. Lots of clay pipe and salt Glazed Pottery - Some with pretty cool designs.

DSCN2515.JPG DSCN2516.JPG DSCN2517.JPG

Some unusual pieces. I saved the bone on the left, because it appears to have butchering cuts.

DSCN2519.JPG DSCN2520.JPG
DSCN2521.JPG

In the next picture the fragments are red like brick, but with a glaze. Then I grouped some delicate fragments together like porcelain or china. In pic three, a few of the wine bottle fragments (and there were many) had a beautiful blueish hue. Not easily seen in the pics.

DSCN2522.JPG DSCN2523.JPG DSCN2524.JPG

Next groups - white (dish ware?) with designs, then plain white, then some brownish crockery.

DSCN2525.JPG DSCN2526.JPG DSCN2527.JPG

An interesting delicate stem:

DSCN2532.JPG

If you look in the first pic at the top, there's a lot of black (actually dark green) wine bottle(?) fragments at the top of the picture. Some of it had weird mineralization - at least I guess that's what it is . . . Sadly, no seals or big pieces. But several bottoms show a blob revealing that they're hand blown I guess.

DSCN2542.JPG DSCN2543.JPG

Sorry for TMI and so many pics, but I'd really like for some of the Colonial experts like Bill D or HomeGuardDan to try to DATE this pile of stuff for me. Anything ANY of you could tell me would be appreciated. As I said, I don't know much about Colonial stuff. Does this appear to be the kind of stuff you'd find around a simple home, a higher class home, or a store or tavern?

I've been out of the loop for a couple of months, but trying to re-emerge as the snow melts. Good Hunting . . .

Upvote 22

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Great looking pile of finds there.
The best thing I like is the carved rock crystal face from a wax seal or watch chain fob!
It's not a cameo, a cameo is something else completely different

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man, I did not see this. Thanks for the PM. Judging by the glass it could date to the early 1700s. Judging by the brass (buttons, buckles , etc.) It dates mid to late 1700s. So I would date it back to the mid 1700s for now, but check out the bore sizes of.your pipes. The larger the older. There certainly are some early pieces mixed in, but most is from that date range. Should be some killer stuff there.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible finds. Too bad the site is now gone forever... just like so many others. Is that a shark's tooth next to the buckles? Never seen anything like that so far from salt water. Congrats.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have been busy...

Nice example of "getting down to it".

Well done.

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is some serious digging parson, a shame that the site is gone. I'll echo Dan's sentiment regarding the age of the site, early to mid 1700s. Did you sift the site or was that all on the surface? The wax seal is particularly nice.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rounded buckle is early, possibly early 1700s. As stated by others there are types of pottery from early to mid or even late 1700s so the site was probably occupied for most of the 18th century. The stem with the twist pattern is from a glass, probably a wine glass. Whomever lived there was at least somewhat affluent, as evidenced by some of the pottery, the glass stem and the wax seal (which I believe is a man's bust, not a woman's).

Fantastic recoveries-I'm glad you were able to save them before they were lost forever. If there are woods nearby I would take a look around & maybe do some detecting if you have access; there could be another home site in the area.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what a spot ! Nice lot of early items :occasion14:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man, I did not see this. Thanks for the PM. Judging by the glass it could date to the early 1700s. Judging by the brass (buttons, buckles , etc.) It dates mid to late 1700s. So I would date it back to the mid 1700s for now, but check out the bore sizes of.your pipes. The larger the older. There certainly are some early pieces mixed in, but most is from that date range. Should be some killer stuff there.

As Dan stated the best way to date the site is to measure the bores of the pipe stems with drill bits (in 64ths of an inch). Here is some good information about this & it includes a chart that will give you a rough idea of the age of the pipe stems: https://nmscarcheologylab.wordpress.com/2011/01/26/spotlight-on-pipe-stems/

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's interesting how you came to find that site as my very first, productive pit was also found as a result of a groundhog. He had pulled out a bunch of long pipe stems and several intact bowls from his hole, and the ensuing pit dig was quite successful. With that said, I have to totally agree with Dan's comments. All that blue and gray Westerwald or Rhenish stoneware mostly dates to the mid-1700s as well as the buttons. And that black glass appears to be post-onion or mallet period as it looks like it may be mostly from the mid-to-late 1700s cylindrical era. But a few of your finds may date back to the late 1600s, especially a couple of those buckles. Probably the most accurate way to determine the mean occupancy of the site, as already mentioned, is to do a pipe stem bore analysis. Below are a couple of excerpts from some of my past articles that tell and show you how to do this. But my feeling is that this will likely confirm 18th century occupancy of the site. Glad you were able to save these relics before being lost forever.

pipe bores with drill bits2.jpg

pipe stem dating.JPG

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have an amazing site there! Those 2 iron points do seem to be arrow heads.

Last edited:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks pretty old to me PW. Lots of great finds there. Will make a large display box for your collection to augment CW relics. WTG, Q.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pile of colonial homesite residue. I'm glad you picked up all the ceramics as well as the metallic objects. I agree with Bill and Dan regarding the date range.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...now start glueing the westerwald puzzle together. Even a partial reconstructed pot would look cool with the pile of pipe stems in it. Great finds!! Maybe Bill will post a picture of his reconstructed pottery....

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, I got EDUCATED by you guys on this post! Thanks Ironhorse on the seal/Fob ID. dts52, yes I found that shark tooth in the mix. VaMiarPwr07 - I didn't get a chance to sift anything. I'm sure the place is loaded still, but now off limits!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Man, I got EDUCATED by you guys on this post! Thanks Ironhorse on the seal/Fob ID. dts52, yes I found that shark tooth in the mix. VaMiarPwr07 - I didn't get a chance to sift anything. I'm sure the place is loaded still, but now off limits!

No problem, you're welcome
Having found several fob seals myself I know that they are a real treasure and the diversity of them makes each and every one special
I hope this the first of many for you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions