Show Me to the Nonferrous metals please!

PGHDigger

Jan 3, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunted all day... 9 wheaties and my first war nickel... in the far back of an abandoned house right by the garage I got a nice signal... Dug a bit and found what looked like the top of a jar... Dug a little more... And then some more... And out popped an old copper fire extinguisher... Don't know a thing about it yet... But pretty cool... Not sure whether to scrap it or clean it up more...

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    788.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Upvote 6

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd keep it, nice find, it's cool! :-)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds!! if you scrap it maybe see if someone else wants it just have them pay shipping!! one mans treasure ect I found the top of a jar under the base of a tree once took forever to get it out it was some ones time capsule Good stuff

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool! I'd definitely keep it too. I really like the color on it.

I found this hand held one a few years ago way up in northern Maine at a location of an old sporting camp cabin. So remote I had to take a float plane in to the lake. No detector needed as it was just under some leaves on the top of the ground. I'm missing more of it than I found, but its displayed on a shelf in my office anyway. Those old extinguishers are really cool to me.

Its a personal preference, but I like how yours looks now without cleaning. Its also a personal preference on keeping it or not, but I think its pretty awesome :thumbsup: Nice find.

IMG_20160202_224426784.jpg

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id at least try to tag sale or Craigslist that thing - as opposed to scrap it - you should be able to get double just as someone's lawn ornament or decoration -
Id like to see pics of this abandoned house - Im assuming if you are brave enough to detect the yard - you've been in the house - anything interesting?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your digging your 1st OD nickel :occasion14:. The extinguisher is a cool piece. Looks like a nice container for your copper pennies or your jewelry finds..

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's too cool for scrap, I'd be cleaning up the brass face, and displaying it.
Man, how long did it take to dig out?
Kudos!
Carl

OP
OP
PGHDigger

PGHDigger

Jan 3, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's too cool for scrap, I'd be cleaning up the brass face, and displaying it.
Man, how long did it take to dig out?
Kudos!
Carl

It was at an angle... So once I got it started it kinda popped right out... Maybe 5 minutes or so...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread