Amazing little silver spoon

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last dig of the year yielded this little silver spoon. The craftsmanship is beautiful however there is no makers mark. I'm sure Marjorie was sad when she lost it. ??? Has anyone seen one like this? or know what year it would be from?

IMG_1731.JPG IMG_1727.JPG IMG_1729.JPG IMG_1732.JPG

IMG_1743.JPG IMG_1744.JPG IMG_1745.JPG IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1786.JPG IMG_1785.JPG IMG_1783.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 39

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
Nice spoon. Are you going to look up the family that owned the property and try to get it back to them?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you JerV3, Its definitely on my own personal "Banner" list lol.

Honestly, to me, this is much more a banner find than some I've seen up there simply because it's made out of gold. I also think this would look VERY nice up top.
Got my vote.

OP
OP
O

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice spoon. Are you going to look up the family that owned the property and try to get it back to them?

I have started looking up birth records for the time and area and I have found 2 Marjorie's born 1897 and 1888. 3 out of the original 5 families in this area are still living there but I have not found one with the same surnames. I have confirmed it is not from our family, I still have to reach out to the Vale and Hutchison families. It would warm my heart to put this spoon in the hands of the great great grandchildren of "Marjorie"

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a really nice one. The design is fantastic.
Congrats on a great and unique find.

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great find. Sweet little Marjorie was much loved. I wonder if there'd be any way to track down if she is still alive perhaps, or maybe a daughter of hers...

OP
OP
O

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find. Sweet little Marjorie was much loved. I wonder if there'd be any way to track down if she is still alive perhaps, or maybe a daughter of hers...

I have been looking at the land owners from Beamsley Perkins Glasier who sold it to General John Coffin in 1790 it was the site of his home with his 11 children and they had 6000 acres. It went to my family in 1839 and to two other families in 1860s I believe. This is where the research becomes very difficult. I'm jumping on the first Marjorie I find lol.

OP
OP
O

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, to me, this is much more a banner find than some I've seen up there simply because it's made out of gold. I also think this would look VERY nice up top.
Got my vote.

Great find...got my vote too.....

Thank you guys! I would love to see Baby Marjorie's spoon up there :)

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gorgeous spoon, man. What a way to cap off the season.

You got my vote.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the beautiful silver spoon! :occasion14:

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a wild looking spoon with the loop hand.nice find

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful piece. Amazing how well that handle held up for so many winters. The craftsmanship is very fine! Congrats to you!

OP
OP
O

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful piece. Amazing how well that handle held up for so many winters. The craftsmanship is very fine! Congrats to you!

Thank you Tn! I thought it was delicate when It first fell out of the bank, but it really is a sturdy little spoon. It came from the edge of the bottle pit I have been excavating this year. maybe 18 inches behind and below this 1880s bottle.

IMG_1686.JPG IMG_1687.JPG

I imagine it spent some time in a Jar , and is most likely how it came to be in the dump. The surrounding dirt had several broken jars like this one i found whole.

IMG_1682.JPG

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very beautiful, I found a beauty spoon couple summers back, mine used to be Dorothy's it has a 1910 date on the handle, reminds me of yours (a little similar) Maybe it could help date it for you. I could post a pic if you wanted? Did you use a loop and really go over your spoon to look for a mark? It kindof amazes me that as fine the craftsmanship of your spoon that there is no mark? Not even "Sterling"? Maybe if there are no marks at all it might mean it is super old? I'm no expert, just thinking out loud and throwing out some ideas to help ID or date your spoon.

OP
OP
O

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very beautiful, I found a beauty spoon couple summers back, mine used to be Dorothy's it has a 1910 date on the handle, reminds me of yours (a little similar) Maybe it could help date it for you. I could post a pic if you wanted? Did you use a loop and really go over your spoon to look for a mark? It kindof amazes me that as fine the craftsmanship of your spoon that there is no mark? Not even "Sterling"? Maybe if there are no marks at all it might mean it is super old? I'm no expert, just thinking out loud and throwing out some ideas to help ID or date your spoon.

I have not used a loop, I have looked closely though. I rinsed it with soap and water but did not even use a cloth so inside is still pretty dirty. Do you think it's possible the mark is inside edge of the handle?
I would love to see your spoon! Post it up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread