Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monday we gridded for 4 hours at the bath site & came away with;
22 Roman Bronze Coins
Iron Age (Celtic) Fibula
Bit of a Roman Folding Knife
Bit of a Roman Fibula
Small bit of Roman Bracelet

As it was the week of Cru'Dad's Birthday we decided to mix it up a little today & try some new land we had some intel on. Never hunted it but our research indicated it was a Celtic/Roman Site.
We found small amounts of Roman pottery & other signs of the site including dark soil & after 6 hours ended up with;
10 Roman Coins (Not yet pictured)
1 poor condition Celtic Bronze Unit (Coin)
Bunch of blank silver coins, plus a love token
Broken Hammered
Lead Cloth Seal
Dad got a nice early Medieval Lead Spindle Whorl
1797 Penny
17th C Button
& bits...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 15

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cru,

Quite the haul....I like the love token with the punched out design.

Regards + HH

Bill

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Hello,
Great stuff! I like the Roman coins the best, but all of your finds are always interesting. This bath site, and your other Roman sites for that matter, are they places that have been leveled and plowed for agriculture? I was wondering if later people covered and leveled out those Roman sites, or does that process happen naturally over time. Even in ancient times a farm would have to be located near a water source. Then during flooding times the old building sites might be silted over. In that particular spot it looks like the soil was not kind to the metals, so I am guessing modern fertilizer damage.
What I am speculating about is that there must be ancient Roman sites located in areas that farming chemicals were never applied to. Not counting the famous hoards found in the United Kingdom in clay pots, there could be artefacts located in areas not suitable for agriculture. I am probably not saying this very well, but as you and your father hunt a site using scientific methods, do you ever hunt in a more haphazard manner like detecting stream beds, hill tops, and out of the way places?
What history you have there. I live in a town that was incorporated in 1812. That was just yesterday compared to where you live. :D
Best of Luck!
Phil

acm3

Jan 2, 2016
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and
Garrett pinpointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Finding items this old blows my mind! I would love to find treasures like this....I am happy finding 1700-1800s relics. Our country (USA) is so young:notworthy:
Good Finds!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and great finds as usual

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bugger. Nice finds!

aj

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
Great stuff! I like the Roman coins the best, but all of your finds are always interesting. This bath site, and your other Roman sites for that matter, are they places that have been leveled and plowed for agriculture? I was wondering if later people covered and leveled out those Roman sites, or does that process happen naturally over time. Even in ancient times a farm would have to be located near a water source. Then during flooding times the old building sites might be silted over. In that particular spot it looks like the soil was not kind to the metals, so I am guessing modern fertilizer damage.
What I am speculating about is that there must be ancient Roman sites located in areas that farming chemicals were never applied to. Not counting the famous hoards found in the United Kingdom in clay pots, there could be artefacts located in areas not suitable for agriculture. I am probably not saying this very well, but as you and your father hunt a site using scientific methods, do you ever hunt in a more haphazard manner like detecting stream beds, hill tops, and out of the way places?
What history you have there. I live in a town that was incorporated in 1812. That was just yesterday compared to where you live. :D
Best of Luck!
Phil

This site is on a hill close to a major Roman Road, & not far from a Roman Village. The water source for this place is not obvious. Although we call it a Roman Bath House the rough white tiles may have been for a cheap stopping place like an Inn. We may well do an Archaeological dig to further investigate our theories.
All our sites are on ploughed land & the previous, mostly wooden structures were either burnt down or taken apart for materials & then left as fields. We have only 1 area where a site is half in a wooded area & the coins come out a little better. But most are hit by either farm equipment or chemicals. Also if the land was not continuously farmed then the items I find would have been too deep to detect.

Last edited:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you out. We had lots of rain, fields are flooded and the holes fill with water immediately.... Beautiful Love Token and a nice spindle whorl!

Reelsnrods

Feb 13, 2013
Nantucket
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What lovely items to be pulling out of the ground. 3" of fresh snow here today... Thank you for posting!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have got to be kidding. That is amazing the history of all that It would take me years and years to even come close to that Great stuff, Hope to see more posts

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have got to be kidding. That is amazing the history of all that It would take me years and years to even come close to that Great stuff, Hope to see more posts
I post about 2 a week, so your see plenty more.:thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions