Dig-MV

Aug 26, 2014
Martha’s Vineyard
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting buddy of mine hit me up said he's pull great stuff out of a new spot. I asked where and was shocked to hear it was a place I had been before a few times with no luck. Went with him to the far corner of the field that abuts an old house. He was on fire pulling probably 15 wheats a merc, and a barber dime at 3". I could t buy a good tone and every time I did it was a wheat. But I slowed down and really girded out small sections at a time and stated pulling some nice stuff. Pulled a buffalo with date readable 1936. Pulled some nice military buttons if anyone has a time frame would love to know. Finally started working an area that my buddy pounded after finding his barber close by. Got a jumpy 78 dug the plug and out comes an IHP. Sweet check the hole and the tone is clear and loud. Pulled out two more IHP's and my second 2 cent of the year.IHP dates 1890, 1887, 1881. Cleaned up the 2cent and it ended up being a 1864! I stopped messing with the coin after seeing the date so it's hard to tell if it is in fact the small motto I'm hoping it is. Few other keeper including a brass or copper whatsit next to the safety razor that we found 6 of. Thanks HH

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 9

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could be an old spile used for tapping maple trees, I'd have to see more pictures of it to confirm
Kyle-

oney

May 20, 2013
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice assortment of finds! Congrats. To me it looks to be the regular big motto. You can usually tell in the crook of the letter U.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Eagle buttons look to be General Service buttons that were used since 1902, during WW1 & WW2. Nice finds.

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm no expert, but I am pretty sure the long tube on the right of the razor, is a tent rope adjuster? I think I may have seen those on a CW hunt thread? Not sure at all, though.

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like block lettering on the 1864 two cent indicative of large motto plus the bottom of the T in TRUST should almost barely be touching the fold of the ribbon if it were small motto and it looks like there's an appreciable distance between those two points. Amazing find nonetheless, I can't say I've ever Found a two cent piece!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,, the brass piece next to the razor is for putting tension on the tent lines.
Congrats on a nice hunt

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like the razor.
I went back to a butterfly razor and double edge blades last summer. Best shave you can get; believe me. Barbers give professional shaves with only one blade for a reason.

If the razor cleans up it may be even worth a few bucks. There are many collectors out there believe it or not. I saw one on Ebay exactly like one of mine; a 1976 Gillette Super Speed. It was in TERRIBLE shape but sold for somewhere around 35 bucks. In good working condition you can get 50 bucks all day long.

The spill/coins/buttons are awesome too. It goes without saying. That was definitely a good day.

Congrats on a great hunt.

Last edited:

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have great finds there .Your two cent piece small or large motto is a nice find ,

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great digs! The coins, razor, and tent rope tensioner are nice, but the military buttons are the Belle's of the Ball....awesome!

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice day's finds for sure, I also believe the 2 center is a large motto, if you look at he right upward leg of the U you will see that it's very thin and long on the coin you found, as it is with the large motto, a small motto also has a thinner right leg than that of the left leg but it's much thicker than that of the large motto U.

3579_37656524_2200.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of history awesome

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Great Seal of the United States" army uniform buttons were first adopted for service in 1902 and are still being issued today.
You asked for the time frame of the ones you dug.
Two of yours are the "rimless" version, which dates them as 1902-to-1910.
From 1910 to the present they've had a raised rim.
Your other Great Seal button shows what is called "black finish"... which kept the brass buttons from revealing a hidden soldier's position.
The "black finish" was used until 1923.
So, having a rim and black finish dates that button to between 1910 and 1923.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LG motto - when I was a kid (70S) I found a beautiful 1864 XF - LG motto - back then I needed the money and sold most of finds
took to a coin dealer and he paid me small motto price - I did not argue - I had like dozen others look at it and it was a LG motto
congrats on yours - one of my fav US coins the 2c
to confirm - buttons and other items look late 1800s (Spanish - Amer. war) to early 1900s - WW I
the tent pull looks brass - which makes them usually pre WW II - they stopped making them out of brass by them because brass was
needed more for shells
this is a sample of mine from Span.-Amer.- WW I camp site
some of the buttons look similar (thought I had a tent pull in there - Ive gotten a bunch from this site)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread