My daughter whooped me real good at the beach!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0525.JPG And with a very inexpensive machine. Went to our favorite Delaware spot. People have been all over it this last week or so. Low tide, and all we got in the washes were sinkers (English translation, not hunted out). Anyway went down and up the beach. Then I noticed a BUNCH of dig holes. They were in a dense black sand area. We took our Black sand eating Tesoro's over on the sands and started working a few patterns. So my daughter says I got One! Sure enough, a King George II copper. She worked around and we moved some really large iron items a few feet away, and reworked the area. About 10 minutes later she says I got another one! Sure enough, another copper. She no more than turned around and found a third. In the meantime, in real life, I am saving the universe from pull tabs and sinkers. Lots of them. When we got back to the hotel, I realized she had found a fourth, but it's only a piece of the rim of a copper. She gave that one to me. Yeah!

At the end of the day she had 3 (unreadable) but identifiable coppers, an old button and a 19th century horse or utility buckle.

I had a penny and four pounds of sinkers and pull tabs. She had to go home early so I went on down to Bethany beach and dug two of those really cool (I guess) 50 caliber machine gun bullets and some coins and a bunch of shrapnel from the shore batteries that used to fire there during WWII.

Great weekend. I'll have to download the pic from my cellphone. All her coins were in a tight little area polluted with huge iron. We moved the iron and out came the goodies. And pulltabs. And sinkers. Did get some nice seaglass.

Ocean city gave up a few modern coins, but we weren't there long.

Last edited:
Upvote 13

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds...congrats to the daughter.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody about 2 miles north of there dug up a big cask or sea chest. Ummmm.....wonder what they got, if anything......I saw the remains, it looked really old.

chrisdigs

Oct 1, 2015
Middle Tennessee
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,Garrett AT Pro,Garrett At MAX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds congrats [emoji106]

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Somebody about 2 miles north of there dug up a big cask or sea chest. Ummmm.....wonder what they got, if anything......I saw the remains, it looked really old.

id go back and get it, and look around it under it, got pics, or can ya get pics
would like to see that, and good job daughter congrats

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know CW, I know EXACTLY where it is. I was so tired I didn't even run the loop over it. Talked to a fellow collector on the beach who told me back in 1972 he found 400 Spanish escudos on that beach, a little to the north. Interesting story. It was really weird the day of the blizzard, I turned on the Delaware Department of Transportation's camera system, and what should have been showing as street, was water. The dunes were breached in numerous spots.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive heard a lot about that beach and since its not far from me its even more interesting. It seems though that the bulk of the finds including possible gold coins, were all found long ago

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a gold guinea in 2013, my daughter found a 1/2 escudo in 2014. Mine was due to Sandy, my daughter's probably dredged up from the inlet.

Of course most days you don't find anything but shells, trash, sinkers and pull tabs. Jan 13, 2013 I found a copper, the gold coin and a cut piece of 8.

One other day found 3 coppers. It's either feast or famine.

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Id love to see pics of those

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to your daughter, and you!
Psssst--- keep her close, she's a good charm!
Maybe you should take her with you when you investigate what's left of the old chest.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the old coppers! :occasion14:

I love detecting with my daughter, builds great life time memories.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The treasure stories on this section of the east coast are legendary.....there are apparently at least 3-5 Spanish galleons laying right off Ocean City, MD north to Ocean City, NJ. Piece wash up occasionally after a big storm in at least 5-6 places. Who knows what's out there.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to be too cold for anything this weekend. Since October I've only missed 1 weekend digging so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread