detecting in st.louis

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
My advice is always the same: contact friends who live in older houses and start there. You will find some good stuff and chances are they haven't been searched before. After that, follow Nick Papageorgio everywhere he goes! ;D

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is Forest Park allowed. I am going there for a Metal Detecting Seminar / Hunt in September.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
I've heard there is a really old huge park that people hunt and it is loaded (or was).

Burt

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Chris,

I live 20 miles NW of St. Louis and you can hunt Forest Park all you like..it's been hunted for years but is huge and has quite a history (it was the site of the 1904 Wold's Fair).

I've been to so many parks and schools in my area and have never had any problems..as long as the schools and parks are public you should be fine..as already mentioned, searching the yards of people who know you is always an option and you're bound to find lots of good targets, especially in the older neighborhoods.

HH,
Nat

R

RUDY2003

Welcome Chris...You could also follow natman around too....
Good luck and hit those parks and schools.....
Keep safe...

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nick Papageorgio said:
halfdime said:
After that, follow Nick Papageorgio everywhere he goes! ;D

Chris,

Hello and welcome to Tnet...

Please pay little attention to halfdime...It seems he was dropped on his head shortly after birth... ;D ;D ;D...but he still is a pretty cool guy... ;) ;) ;)

Any way St. Louis holds a lot of history...in the mid 1800's it was the 4th largest city in America. I am not sure what part of the city you are in but as long as you do a little homework and research you are bound to find some good stuff.

Always ask permission on private land...the public parks and schools seem to be good...contact the MDC on the state park end...they have a list of do's and don'ts plus you will need a state park permit...they are free via email MDC...

Good luck and we are looking forward to seeing your finds,

Nick
;D ;D ;D ;D It's hard to shake a bad reputation!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nick Papageorgio said:
Henry....
<<<<<<<<.... :o

Why are you here...You are supposed to be down at your honey hole silver mine... :P :P :P

And then returning and regailing us with the daily dose of argento.... :P :P :P

Now put down that bologna sandwich and get out there - I need a silver fix...the fumes from the deck stain are making me dizzy...

Nick... ;D

Nick, while you were busy with this reply, I was composing a summary of this morning's finds. You'll be happy to know that no Mercs were involved today.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
The only St. Louis city park I know of that is off limits is Tower Grove park. Missouri State parks are also off limits, big bad mojo if you detect in those.

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the state parks allowed with permits:
Crowder, Cuivre River, Finger Lakes, Lake of the Ozarks, Lake Wappapello, Lewis and Clark, Long Branch, Pershing, Pomme de Terre, Saint Joe, Stockton, Trail of Tears, Harry S Truman, Wakonda, Wallace and Watkins Woolen Mill and State Historic Site.

Permit is free and can be order from Missouri Dept. of Natural Resources website.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread