The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been a long time since I have had the chance to just get up on a Sunday Morning and have nothing but the Hobby of Metal Detecting as the challenge of the day! I have been so busy with work that trying to find the time to even get out for a few hours has been difficult……… But this day would be one of those days that any Treasure hunter would remember for quite some time.
The day would start with a cup of coffee and just checking a few messages on the old laptop that morning. When talking to a friend of mine Jim B about a possible place to Detect, we decided to meet that morning and check an area where some Construction has been going on. We did plenty of walking and happen to find only an old dump from the 1940’s or 50’s. We found a few old iron farm pieces, plus a couple of bottles. Nothing to jump for joy over! Walking back to the truck we decided to head down to an area along one of the old creeks that was only minutes away. I think it looks more like a river, but that’s what its called (Cattaraugus Creek). When we arrived, we took a slow walk up stream just to see if anything stood out that would be worth breaking out the detector. After a short walk we noticed a ridge about 50 feet up along the bank that looked very inviting. We decided to continue up stream a short distance but then decided to turn back and check out the ridge, and hope to see something interesting. Now as we were walking back I saw what looked to be a very small depression in one area, 10 x 10 or so. Not big at all but it was around a foot and a half deep. Talking with Jim, I said, “Were right here, lets give it 15 minutes. We find nothing we can leave.” We made the right decision!!
Now only a few minutes away from the trucks we got the detectors and started detecting! Within minutes I found an old spoon handle (copper) very thin, so that was a good sign. Moments later Jim finds a Gold Gilt flower Button. Now the hunt is on, we have a potential site with some old items. Making a great day and a long story short we ended up staying at the site for 3 to 4 hours and found a number of nice old Relics and Coins. I found plenty of spoon pieces both tin and pewter, a King George Copper with the bust still visible (n/d) the handle off an old candle stick holder, pottery shards, old key hole plate, mini balls, etc…

But what popped out down at least 12 or more inches…was the prize, and I was never expecting this of all things. Pulling out pottery, nails and glass and still getting a great hit, I took the shovel and dug in the side of the hole and out came this Eagle belt plate…It was a time to just say “yea Babe”…What else could I say.
P4120045 Large Web view.jpg

P4120044 Large Web view.jpg

P4120041 Large Web view.jpg

P4120047 Large Web view.jpg

It was one of the items that was on my list to find…but who knew!!!! ……It was a great day with some great finds. Other coins found were a bank of Upper Canada Token and an early Large Cent.

All in all, the weather is still great here Western N.Y. and so was that Day!!!

The Seeker

Upvote 0

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Hey John. Good to see you back out swinging making those nice finds. Nice write up too. I have been a lot busier with the summer now starting. Not as much time for detecting it seems.

Your hunts are so much different than the ones Nate and I do. You might not find as "much" but the things you do find are sweet. ;D Congratulations on the belt buckle. Looks good. :)

Bob

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for all the comments and info!! Great job..... ;)

John

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Think your applied wreath fell off...go back and get it! :)

http://www.civilwarantiqueshop.com/b25.htm

1851 Eagle Sword Belt Plate - Cast Brass with 3 piece sliver nickle wreath, the size is 51X84mm, buckle bench stamped with #625, nice dark patina on this one. - Price is $ 450.00

Attachments

• 1851.jpg
    1851.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 2,547
  • Seekers.jpg
    Seekers.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 2,599

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Congrats on making the Banner up top John!!
This find is awesome and certainly deserves the recognition.
Be safe and healthy buddy, take care!

Smiles!
BDoo

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Yahoo for you. That would be worthy of a place in the middle of my display any day.

Thanks for posting such a great picture.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello John, you have got a good eye for sights.... Those are very nice finds... pity about the wreath on the buckle :'(

God bless
Peter

Scott (Upstate NY)

Mar 24, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Classic III, Surf PI, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice and rare find for New York state. Perhaps you found the plate near a military training camp-could be more relics waiting.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
Think your applied wreath fell off...go back and get it! :)

http://www.civilwarantiqueshop.com/b25.htm

1851 Eagle Sword Belt Plate - Cast Brass with 3 piece sliver nickle wreath, the size is 51X84mm, buckle bench stamped with #625, nice dark patina on this one. - Price is $ 450.00
I know this post is a little old but I figured i'd add a little to it.
Early model 1851 NCO plate-
The description for the new plate can be found in the 1851 Regulations as follows:
For all officers and enlisted men--gilt, rectangular, two inches wide, with a raised bright rim; a silver wreath of laurel encircling the "Arms of the United States;" eagle, shield, scroll, and rays bright. The motto "E Pluribus Unum."
This style plate was used up until the pattern change in 1861, when the height of the plate was changed and the upper parts of the wreath were dropped.

Very nice find! 8)

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find and great story, Congrats to you!

Nat

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember, the belt plate that you fould would have ORIGINALLY had a silver wreath that attached to the face and flanked the Eagle. Over time, these tend to detach from the buckle face. THAT is the only major difference that I see...(if that is what you are talking about). The one you found would have had a wreath on it too originally.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Remember, the belt plate that you fould would have ORIGINALLY had a silver wreath that attached to the face and flanked the Eagle. Over time, these tend to detach from the buckle face. THAT is the only major difference that I see...(if that is what you are talking about). The one you found would have had a wreath on it too originally.

I think it's a great find because the buckle was only made with this design for 10 years. Then the upper part of the wreath was dropped from the design. You can see where the rays stop and where the upper part of the wreath would have been on his buckle. That's what I was was trying to convey. Very nice find with or without the attached silver.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find and certainly one on my wish list!
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions