The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been a long time since I have had the chance to just get up on a Sunday Morning and have nothing but the Hobby of Metal Detecting as the challenge of the day! I have been so busy with work that trying to find the time to even get out for a few hours has been difficult……… But this day would be one of those days that any Treasure hunter would remember for quite some time.
The day would start with a cup of coffee and just checking a few messages on the old laptop that morning. When talking to a friend of mine Jim B about a possible place to Detect, we decided to meet that morning and check an area where some Construction has been going on. We did plenty of walking and happen to find only an old dump from the 1940’s or 50’s. We found a few old iron farm pieces, plus a couple of bottles. Nothing to jump for joy over! Walking back to the truck we decided to head down to an area along one of the old creeks that was only minutes away. I think it looks more like a river, but that’s what its called (Cattaraugus Creek). When we arrived, we took a slow walk up stream just to see if anything stood out that would be worth breaking out the detector. After a short walk we noticed a ridge about 50 feet up along the bank that looked very inviting. We decided to continue up stream a short distance but then decided to turn back and check out the ridge, and hope to see something interesting. Now as we were walking back I saw what looked to be a very small depression in one area, 10 x 10 or so. Not big at all but it was around a foot and a half deep. Talking with Jim, I said, “Were right here, lets give it 15 minutes. We find nothing we can leave.” We made the right decision!!
Now only a few minutes away from the trucks we got the detectors and started detecting! Within minutes I found an old spoon handle (copper) very thin, so that was a good sign. Moments later Jim finds a Gold Gilt flower Button. Now the hunt is on, we have a potential site with some old items. Making a great day and a long story short we ended up staying at the site for 3 to 4 hours and found a number of nice old Relics and Coins. I found plenty of spoon pieces both tin and pewter, a King George Copper with the bust still visible (n/d) the handle off an old candle stick holder, pottery shards, old key hole plate, mini balls, etc…

But what popped out down at least 12 or more inches…was the prize, and I was never expecting this of all things. Pulling out pottery, nails and glass and still getting a great hit, I took the shovel and dug in the side of the hole and out came this Eagle belt plate…It was a time to just say “yea Babe”…What else could I say.
P4120045 Large Web view.jpg

P4120044 Large Web view.jpg

P4120041 Large Web view.jpg

P4120047 Large Web view.jpg

It was one of the items that was on my list to find…but who knew!!!! ……It was a great day with some great finds. Other coins found were a bank of Upper Canada Token and an early Large Cent.

All in all, the weather is still great here Western N.Y. and so was that Day!!!

The Seeker

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow! sure is a beut...it belongs on the banner!

HH
-GC

R

RUDY2003

Wow Seeker, you really stumbled on to a great hole....Nice relics and the buckle is superb...
You're goin' back, right?..
Keep safe..

au4me

Mar 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whatever get"s the job done
you rock,When are you going back!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again demonstrating how much "junque" is dug for every great find. God job, glad you stuck with it. Does the plate still have the prongs on the back? Monty

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great relics and that plate is sweet!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
No doubt about it, this is a supreme find! This is the major league all the way.

One of my dreams has been to dig one of those buckels. I'd rather dig one of those than a $10 gold piece.

Congrats!

Badger

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work. Beauty Belt plate!
HH
Ken

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II,ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man i'm going to have to start huntin with you. awsome! :o

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
excellent job...i know you had to be excited when that popped out...i know i was stoked when i found mine

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talk about fate! You must have been led there! Awesome find!

Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread