I found the whole harmonica! Along with another crotal bell.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a different spot yesterday, back to an old church that is not left standing, the woods have long since claimed this area. A good friend of mine owns this 100 acres and deer hunts it, managing a tremendous deer herd there. Local legend has this place haunted, story goes that the KKK came one night and hung the black preacher there. It was supposed to have been part of the underground railroad also. I concentrated around two cellar holes where the iron and trash are very overwhelming. I took the long way back to the furthest cellar hole, walking through an area I never hit before, going along with absolutely silent woods with an occasional shotgun headstamp. When I got a sweet sound with a perfect not changing number that was screaming large silver. I had my Super sharp Leshe shovel and could barely find a place to sink it because of large roots. twenty minutes later I was up to my elbow going cautious so as not to hurt the target when this cool bell finally comes loose in my paw.

20160208_093751.jpg

Only thing I found other than a 1951 licence plate at the cellar hole was a silver plated "Rogers" spoon. At the second hole I found a old copper spoon and then out pops this harmonica, I always wondered if I would find one whole.

20160208_114824.jpg 20160208_114829.jpg

On the other side of the hole I found some more pieces of harmonica reed. It reads "C.A. Seydel Sohne" on my harmonica.

20160209_062228.jpg 20160209_062317.jpg 20160209_062331.jpg

Here is a copy of the research of my harmonica.

History[edit]
In the 17th century the Seydel family were miners in Sachsenberg-Georgenthal/Saxony. When mining ceased in Saxony Vogtland, the brothers Johann Christian Seydel and Christian August Seydel began working as instrument makers. Both subsequently became approved harmonica makers. This was decreed by the court of Untersachsenberg on October 27, 1847. The certificate contains the first documented reference to the company, with Christian August Seydel being registered as the company founder. The factory was established in Klingenthal at the foot of the famous 'Aschberg' (literally ‘Ash Mountain’) and became one of the biggest harmonica factories in Saxony. In 1882, C.A. Seydel died, and his son Richard took over. One year later his brother Moritz joined them, and the company name changed to C.A.Seydel Söhne. (C.A. Seydel and Sons).

Seydel harmonicas[edit]
Blues (diatonic) models[edit]
1847 series - This series includes the Classic, Silver and Noble. All are similar but the classic has a wood comb, Silver has a plastic comb and the Noble has an aluminum comb with vented sides. The 160th anniversary model is similar but with luxury components and is only available in the key of C. Only 160 of these were produced. These models have stainless steel reeds.

Chromatic models[edit]
Saxony- This model is a chromatic harmonica with stainless steel reeds.

20160208_122133.jpg 20160209_062351.jpg 20160209_062356.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my long winded tale and all my pix
HH & GL
Brad

Upvote 32

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty neat to find the whole harmonica Brad. I have found reeds still stacked on top of each other, but the wood had all disappeared. Those bells are blaring signals ( if they are brass anyway ), aren't they?

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen a harmonica coming out the ground complete! Congrats! That one travelled a long way. Nice bell too! :occasion14:
Thanks, also amazes me that a musical instrument this fine was at this site? There is a site about ten miles from here where I found my recent Real called the "mansion" It just goes to show, you never know where it's going to be?

Nice. All I get is the reeds! [emoji106]
Yeah me too, up to that point, I even rarely found the reeds, lol thanks.

very nice finds Treble,and good research with the harmonica,dont see many whole ones being found at all.This post is a coincidence ,I just found my first whole one after all these years of hunting yesterday evening.Well not quite as hole as yours but both reeds are still intact which is a first for me.Gonna try to get around to posting it later.Congrats on the old bell too,very nice also,
I'll have to look for that, thanks

Cool! Great finds, whole harmonica is great and I really think that bell is awesome !!
Congrats ! HH
Thanks Diggin

NICE FINDS THAR TREBLE HUNTER .
THANKS BUDDY

Cool finds
Thank you

Good outing Brad, Like the Bell! Looks like bad weather is going to stop all of us for a few day....Be safe
I went yesterday for a couple hours, got skunked, I tried a different field at the "you won't find anything here" site (that field he's right)lol
Thanks Joe

Pretty neat to find the whole harmonica Brad. I have found reeds still stacked on top of each other, but the wood had all disappeared. Those bells are blaring signals ( if they are brass anyway ), aren't they?
George was amazed about a year back when I got all excited finding a piece of reed for my first time. All depends on the site your digging I would think. Those signals sound so sweet, I started to get excited when I was getting so deep, I rechecked, second guessing myself to think wow that still sounds sweet. I love that old patina on those bells I have found recently.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Whooooohooooo! Rock n' roll Brad!!! Nice finds buddy. Let's do a hunt soob

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome harmonica recovery, you usually do not find with wood remaining! The bell is a very nice find, bet it will clean up nice! :occasion14:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is a cow bell. It's too small and the wrong shape. It looks like a goat bell to me.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bell & Harmonica are very nice finds , back in 1998 or 99 I dug a complete Harmonica ; being a Nube I washed all the Wood & Dirt out of it, (Suppose it would have been hard to Display it with dirt & wood always falling out.

It's put up now but do recall it had some Writing on it Cursive & Regular & concluded it was German made (with help from Mr. Francis Lord's Books ) this was way before my internet time.

Yours looks to be well Made .

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whooooohooooo! Rock n' roll Brad!!! Nice finds buddy. Let's do a hunt soob
Now you want to, ha lol, I was freezing my butt off today of course I was out in the middle of a field I should of went to this site. Always warmer in the woods out of the wind. Lets go!

Awesome harmonica recovery, you usually do not find with wood remaining! The bell is a very nice find, bet it will clean up nice! :occasion14:
Thanks

I don't think it is a cow bell. It's too small and the wrong shape. It looks like a goat bell to me.
Okay, it's a goat bell, at least we are narrowing it down. Thank you.

The bell & Harmonica are very nice finds , back in 1998 or 99 I dug a complete Harmonica ; being a Nube I washed all the Wood & Dirt out of it, (Suppose it would have been hard to Display it with dirt & wood always falling out.

It's put up now but do recall it had some Writing on it Cursive & Regular & concluded it was German made (with help from Mr. Francis Lord's Books ) this was way before my internet time.

Yours looks to be well Made .
It was a find that made me interested, I could see the writing on it as soon as I pulled it. Always love to be able to find out about what I just dug.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats!

Long winded na! It never hurts to help inform people. :thumbup:

OP
OP