I found the whole harmonica! Along with another crotal bell.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a different spot yesterday, back to an old church that is not left standing, the woods have long since claimed this area. A good friend of mine owns this 100 acres and deer hunts it, managing a tremendous deer herd there. Local legend has this place haunted, story goes that the KKK came one night and hung the black preacher there. It was supposed to have been part of the underground railroad also. I concentrated around two cellar holes where the iron and trash are very overwhelming. I took the long way back to the furthest cellar hole, walking through an area I never hit before, going along with absolutely silent woods with an occasional shotgun headstamp. When I got a sweet sound with a perfect not changing number that was screaming large silver. I had my Super sharp Leshe shovel and could barely find a place to sink it because of large roots. twenty minutes later I was up to my elbow going cautious so as not to hurt the target when this cool bell finally comes loose in my paw.

20160208_093751.jpg

Only thing I found other than a 1951 licence plate at the cellar hole was a silver plated "Rogers" spoon. At the second hole I found a old copper spoon and then out pops this harmonica, I always wondered if I would find one whole.

20160208_114824.jpg 20160208_114829.jpg

On the other side of the hole I found some more pieces of harmonica reed. It reads "C.A. Seydel Sohne" on my harmonica.

20160209_062228.jpg 20160209_062317.jpg 20160209_062331.jpg

Here is a copy of the research of my harmonica.

History[edit]
In the 17th century the Seydel family were miners in Sachsenberg-Georgenthal/Saxony. When mining ceased in Saxony Vogtland, the brothers Johann Christian Seydel and Christian August Seydel began working as instrument makers. Both subsequently became approved harmonica makers. This was decreed by the court of Untersachsenberg on October 27, 1847. The certificate contains the first documented reference to the company, with Christian August Seydel being registered as the company founder. The factory was established in Klingenthal at the foot of the famous 'Aschberg' (literally ‘Ash Mountain’) and became one of the biggest harmonica factories in Saxony. In 1882, C.A. Seydel died, and his son Richard took over. One year later his brother Moritz joined them, and the company name changed to C.A.Seydel Söhne. (C.A. Seydel and Sons).

Seydel harmonicas[edit]
Blues (diatonic) models[edit]
1847 series - This series includes the Classic, Silver and Noble. All are similar but the classic has a wood comb, Silver has a plastic comb and the Noble has an aluminum comb with vented sides. The 160th anniversary model is similar but with luxury components and is only available in the key of C. Only 160 of these were produced. These models have stainless steel reeds.

Chromatic models[edit]
Saxony- This model is a chromatic harmonica with stainless steel reeds.

20160208_122133.jpg 20160209_062351.jpg 20160209_062356.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my long winded tale and all my pix
HH & GL
Brad

Upvote 32

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bell ad very nice harmonica I've never found an intact one congratulation (glad the ghost didn't get you)

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool to find that harmonica intact, makes up for all the pieces we dig, Congrats!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like both finds Treble, but have to give a nod to the Bell. Those are exciting to find, since they are not the typical round or oblong shape.

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Bell, not sure if you can call it a Crotal Bell though

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice spoons. I love finding old silverware

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Brad nice. Glad to see you getting out in the winter season.

A crotal bell is closed... in other words, it has a bead enclosed inside of it. That bell has a clapper hung from it's center. Still a nice bell!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am way more impressed with the bell...
Which is not a crotal bell...
The bell in my book...
IS a banner to me.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's kind of funny, but I have always wanted to find a big ole bell like that, one that looks like a bell. Ya know?

The harmonica could use a good tuning. ;)

Nice!

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and story. I really liked your research info on the harmonica.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds congrats
Thanks Trapperart

Nice bell ad very nice harmonica I've never found an intact one congratulation (glad the ghost didn't get you)
I got spooked a couple times, story's of a white wolf too! Thanks

Very cool to find that harmonica intact, makes up for all the pieces we dig, Congrats!
That's what I thought as soon as it came out of the hole, great minds think alike.

I like both finds Treble, but have to give a nod to the Bell. Those are exciting to find, since they are not the typical round or oblong shape.
Thanks, I like the harmonica just because it had enough info on it to ID it, haaaaa lol if you read what I copied it said it was pretty rare too, only 160 of them made.

Nice Bell, not sure if you can call it a Crotal Bell though
What do I know? I'm just a dumb retired union roofer running around in the woods. I'm calling it a cow bell now, I'd bet a fair amount of money it was tied to a cow at one time?

Very nice spoons. I love finding old silverware
One of my all time favorites was a silver spoon that had a name and date on it, Dorothy, 1910
Thanks

Nice Brad nice. Glad to see you getting out in the winter season.

A crotal bell is closed... in other words, it has a bead enclosed inside of it. That bell has a clapper hung from it's center. Still a nice bell!
Cow bell Tom, I already renamed it, now all I need is a cow.
Thanks

I am way more impressed with the bell...
Which is not a crotal bell...
The bell in my book...
IS a banner to me.
Thanks bud, I'm ready for the water, these fields and woods are not giving up enough rings for my taste!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's kind of funny, but I have always wanted to find a big ole bell like that, one that looks like a bell. Ya know?

The harmonica could use a good tuning. ;)

Nice!
Thanks Gary, it is my third bell, I found two bells in a yard, same yard I found a 1785 1/2 Real The one bell is one of my all time favorites.
20141130_154117.jpg 20141130_154138.jpg

nice finds
Thanks

Great find and story. I really liked your research info on the harmonica.
Thanks bdad

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen a harmonica coming out the ground complete! Congrats! That one travelled a long way. Nice bell too! :occasion14:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice finds Treble,and good research with the harmonica,dont see many whole ones being found at all.This post is a coincidence ,I just found my first whole one after all these years of hunting yesterday evening.Well not quite as hole as yours but both reeds are still intact which is a first for me.Gonna try to get around to posting it later.Congrats on the old bell too,very nice also,

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! Great finds, whole harmonica is great and I really think that bell is awesome !!
Congrats ! HH

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE FINDS THAR TREBLE HUNTER .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread