Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back home Detecting w/ a 1870's home permission and First Silver of the Year

Was able to go back home to Illinois last week and I have an older detector at my parents house that was still working so I hit the back yards of my Parents house and Grandparents house. Both houses were built in the 60's so I was not expecting anything crazy. Mostly clad except for one 1963 Canadian Quarter which is 80% silver. So I'm on the board! I also found a toasted Marine Corps Toys for Tots Token, which was kind of cool to find. As i was leaving my grandparents house I drove by one of my old teacher's homes. Knowing that it was one of the older homes in the town I walked up and chatted him up for a while and then asked if I could detect. He said that he never lets anyone hunt it but since he knew me he would let me. So I had about 5 minutes before sundown and one of my first targets was a pretty crusty 1880 IHP which is the oldest coin that I have dug thus far. I cleaned it up as well as i could but it still has some crud on it. After that the temps dropped and the ground froze up. But overall it was a fun few days of hunting back home. Cant wait to hit that old house again. IMG_2813.jpg IMG_2814.jpg IMG_2809.jpg IMG_2811.jpg IMG_2812.jpg IMG_2810.jpg IMG_2808.jpg

Upvote 13

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That looks like a fun hunt! Foreign silver is on my bucket list!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey friend that quarter is silver,congrats on finding that one. Be sure to hit that old home as soon as you can before the owner changes his mind.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful silver and a nice pile of finds.
Congrats. May the silver be the first of many this year.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the cool finds!

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work on your first silver, still stuck out with the broken jet otherwise I'd be up for a hunt this weekend. Good luck out there

Yeah I think I am starting to out grow my beginner detector. Might have to try out yours.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some real good hunting.
Put the IHP & USMC token in a small tub of olive oil.
Let them soak for a week. Then slowly remove the crud with a wooden toothpick. They should clean up real nice. Let's see what they look like once you clean them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread