Alart and McGuire Condiment bottle

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this condiment bottle made by Alart and McGuire. Love the fluted design and big mouthed finish. Probably held olives or perhaps Horse Radish......yes,no, maybe? Was glad it was not broken as often is the case. Found a few other keepers as well as a bunch of breaks and shards of porcelain. Thanks for lookin.
mqy.JPG evb.JPG

Upvote 10

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So these glass pieces are accidently found whilst digging metal targets?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bottle1.gif
Nice finds - to this day it still amazes me the different bottle configurations used "back-in-the-day!" Thanks for sharing...

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh no, no, no,
On the American issued "DEUS", there is a "G"Program.
After entering the "G" Program, you select B, for bottles. In this situation, you may have to go to "J" for jar, but definitely not "P" for plate. I'm not sure but the units dispatched to the UK may not have this option.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This property that I am digging on does have a trash pit where I find bottles and other Victorian relics and these are found on purpose, I suppose. However, I do alternate and detect the large property. In doing so I keep a record and map of the gridded sections so I will know of relic concentration areas. Most of it agrees with old Sanborn maps that show the old house that stood here. This bottle was found below an open hole where I dug an iron artifact. What I do is probe the open hole with a small 12 inch probe in all directions after the metal detected object has been removed. Often (at least on this site) it results in an accidental find like this one, so yes, this one was random.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh no, no, no,
On the American issued "DEUS", there is a "G"Program.
After entering the "G" Program, you select B, for bottles. In this situation, you may have to go to "J" for jar, but definitely not "P" for plate. I'm not sure but the units dispatched to the UK may not have this option.

That's too funny:laughing7:I think Cru has a special mode on his Deus that finds only "Awesome old stuff".

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old bottle there.And,back in the 60's when I dug farm dumps for bottles for fun and found many keepers there.This was a few years before I took up the great hobby of metal detecting.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice bottle find!

I recently started to dig bottles in old dumps, sure a lot of work, but the finds are plentiful.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cleaned up pic of the base. Kinda reminds me of fast food drink cups filled with all ice. Two sips and it is nearly gone. This bottle looked to have a large volume until you see its shape.I reckon this concept has been around a long time:laughing7:
bny.JPG

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottle find!

I recently started to dig bottles in old dumps, sure a lot of work, but the finds are plentiful.

The adrenaline rush of seeing whole bottles peeking out at you after a hundred or more years is what makes it worth while. It is a nice diversion from just swinging a detector all day. But you want a real workout, try sifting or screening an old site...whew.

Rockhound71

Jul 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a Spanish Olives bottle produced by Alart & McGuire in the very early 1900s. With the original labels intact, it can fetch over $300 (USd). Even without the labels, it's worth a pretty penny to a collector or antique dealer. If you try to sell it, don't let someone try to talk you down to less than $150. Anything below that is highway robbery. Great find.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a Spanish Olives bottle produced by Alart & McGuire in the very early 1900s. With the original labels intact, it can fetch over $300 (USd). Even without the labels, it's worth a pretty penny to a collector or antique dealer. If you try to sell it, don't let someone try to talk you down to less than $150. Anything below that is highway robbery. Great find.

Thanks RH, and yes I too had found some Internet photos of this bottle with labels. As you said, spanish olives is right. The link I found had no prices shown so thanks for the info. I don't sell any of my digs....they are all part of my extended family:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions