Fruit canning jar closure

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this glass closure today that helped solve a past mystery I had found at this same site. I had dug a similar one with a patent date of 1896 but the maker's name looked like OLUME with a weak embossing. I never did figure it out except that it was ID'd as a jar lid closure. Not too far from that earlier dig I found another that had the same date and the name that was a stronger embossing, COLUMBIA. Seems so reasonable now that I have this new addition. That's three from this site, Maybe I will start a collection...:laughing7:Also included here is a group hug photo of the three full ones I have dug here.

DSC00040.JPG DSC00061.JPG asdc.JPG

Upvote 7
OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess someone else got to the bottom half of those jars
Maybe they were filled with coins??:icon_scratch:

If anyone would have had money to stash, it would have been this family who lived there. However most older home sites will produce many Boyd porcelain caps and zinc lids from Mason and Ball jars, and even the glass lids that had bale type closures. I only wish it meant a cache was nearby. Truth is nearly all homemakers had a canning routine and this home was no exception. I had never seen this type before, rather small opening for them to seal on, being about 1.5 inches in diameter. Hopefully one day there will be a handful of coins below one of these lids, I guess I will keep trying:laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice glass recovery!

I am starting to bottle dig (recovered some beauties) at a dump site, just another obsession to deal with in the future! :laughing7:

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I know the embossed name on the lid, I was able to track down the patent application, cool.

sdgtgh.JPG DSC00072.JPG

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate the thought of that I have found many mason jars one was a 1973 time capsule someone made and buried under a tree. 3 or 4 had the lid and the broken glass still attached to the lid but the rest of the jar missing could the rest have sunk like a coin does? but with many coins it would really sink that thought could drive me nuts,, I like those closures must be more old stuff there also Good Find

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Professor of engineering,years ago I had dug through many old farm dumps and I have at least two bathtubs full of nice ones packed away. Some of the old mason jars pack a nice pricetag too.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fellow TNetter shared this one with me and thought it quite appropriate....and funny:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread