Catch up post

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I realized that I haven't posted many of my finds in a while, so here is a group of random finds from a couple colonial sites in Massachusetts and Vermont. Any info on ID's or dates would be appreciated. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 9
OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Could the little crown topped pewter thing in the second to last picture be a broken piece off the top of a pouch badge or plate?

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those three brass circles with a crossways rounded seat... no clue, but I recently dug one that is slightly more refined. Can't date my site yet, but I found late 1600s to late 1800s items, so no help there.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I know the top one is a brass candlestick, hopefully someone might recognize the patter on it. And I don't think the little lamp thing is too old. Probably early 20th century is my guess.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
CTwoods, I have probably found a dozen of them, always at older sites. However, most of the older sites I hunt have seen continuous use since settlement. I did find a couple near cellar holes that haven't been occupied since very early 1900's

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those three brass circles with a crossways rounded seat... no clue, but I recently dug one that is slightly more refined. Can't date my site yet, but I found late 1600s to late 1800s items, so no help there.

I always thought those were the end caps to old hand tools like a rake, hoe or sickle where the iron end goes into the wooden handle so the wood wouldn't split.

s-l1600.jpg

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always thought those were the end caps to old hand tools like a rake, hoe or sickle where the iron end goes into the wooden handle so the wood wouldn't split.

View attachment 1272850

I'd need to go find mine to look at the backside....but....you did stir my mind a bit. :

Could it possibly be the base of where the short stubby wood handle fits onto a typical 2-hand longer hay scythe??? Would that explain why there is a crossways rounded seat, so that would be the side that sits on the main wooden long shaft?

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd need to go find mine to look at the backside....but....you did stir my mind a bit. :

Could it possibly be the base of where the short stubby wood handle fits onto a typical 2-hand longer hay scythe??? Would that explain why there is a crossways rounded seat, so that would be the side that sits on the main wooden long shaft?

Here is the biggest pic I found. I can't see if there is a crossways curved seat, but hope you can see better that I can.

Attachments

• vintage%20%20scythe%20farm%20tool.jpg
    vintage%20%20scythe%20farm%20tool.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 77

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ooops, I forgot to say, that on the site I found that brass circle, I did find the special hand sharpening stone that was made exclusively for these "long bladed" scythes. It is a fine stone carried in the field, that is a foot or more long, and is tapered like a blunt spear on both ends.

Does not mean the brass thing goes to a scythe, but does prove that this site definitely had a scythe. :)

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I found most of mine in farm fields, or associated with tool parts around cellar holes I think Erving's hypothesis is a pretty good one.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, this interesting little thing. It has some kind of inlay on it, mother of pearl or bone or something. It's rounded on the front side and completely flat on the back. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the toy Tea Pot!

The Pewter/lead-alloy crown is part of the top of a German crown perfume bottle - circa 19th C - early 20th

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 items are the tops to a barrel tap. (Circular with a rectangular slot)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckle is an early 20th C ladies dress buckle

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt, I was thinking that the 3 circular slotted caps might be end caps for blade type fuses. Kind of big though.
Congrats.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the ID's Crusader. I appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions